Extensions under OS/2

GriffWood Design
Sunday 18 December 2005

Two of my most used extensions currently fail with FF 1.5 under OS/2.

SpellBound will work again when the Thunderbird build reaches that of FF.  SpellBound uses the spellchecker.xpt, myspell.dll
and spellchk.dll from Thunderbird.  For some reason, unlike Windows, these files need to be exactly from the same build
level as FF.

More difficult is Mozilla Archive Format.  After failing with simple hacks to get the extension to work with FF, I have been
in email contact with the author.  Apparently he is using zlib which requires platform specific builds.  That is beyond me,
but maybe someone would like to contact him about producing an OS/2 version.

Phil

-

(Rev.) Philip G. A. Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
Sackville, New Brunswick and Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Extensions under OS/2

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

GriffWood Design wrote:
> Sunday 18 December 2005
>
> Two of my most used extensions currently fail with FF 1.5 under OS/2.
>

> SpellBound will work again when the Thunderbird build reaches that of
> FF.  SpellBound uses the spellchecker.xpt, myspell.dll and
> spellchk.dll from Thunderbird.  For some reason, unlike Windows,
> these files need to be exactly from the same build level as FF.
Sour cherry!, use Rich Walsh run!, on Hobbes.
<http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/wps/run_060.zip>

> More difficult is Mozilla Archive Format.  After failing with simple
> hacks to get the extension to work with FF, I have been in email
> contact with the author.  Apparently he is using zlib which requires
> platform specific builds.  That is beyond me, but maybe someone would
> like to contact him about producing an OS/2 version.

At the present moment no one has compiled a zlib version 1.2.3 that is
required to work around the security defects of 1.2.2 version, for which
there exists an OS/2 build (on Hobbes).  If you want that big security
hole, point him to the older build of zlib (but I think he'll refuse).

--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Extensions under OS/2

Henry Sobotka
GriffWood Design wrote:

> More difficult is Mozilla Archive Format.  After failing with simple hacks to get the extension to work with FF, I have been
> in email contact with the author.  Apparently he is using zlib which requires platform specific builds.  That is beyond me,
> but maybe someone would like to contact him about producing an OS/2 version.

zlib is built as part of Mozilla. That's what mozz.dll is (named that to
avoid conflicts with z.dll's people might have on their system). In any
case just about every version of zlib is available for OS/2. Find out
exactly what version you need and I'm sure one of us can point you to or
supply you with the binary.

h~

Re: Extensions under OS/2

Henry Sobotka
William L. Hartzell wrote:

> At the present moment no one has compiled a zlib version 1.2.3

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/modules/zlib/src/

h~

Re: Extensions under OS/2

Dave Yeo
William L. Hartzell wrote:

> Sir:
>
> GriffWood Design wrote:
>> Sunday 18 December 2005
>>

>> More difficult is Mozilla Archive Format.  After failing with simple
>> hacks to get the extension to work with FF, I have been in email
>> contact with the author.  Apparently he is using zlib which requires
>> platform specific builds.  That is beyond me, but maybe someone would
>> like to contact him about producing an OS/2 version.
>>
> At the present moment no one has compiled a zlib version 1.2.3 that is
> required to work around the security defects of 1.2.2 version, for which
> there exists an OS/2 build (on Hobbes).  If you want that big security
> hole, point him to the older build of zlib (but I think he'll refuse).

Take a look in Hobbes incoming (eventually /pub/os2/dev/unix). Should be
compatible with most z.dll builds. Also includes static libs. Built with
EMX.
Dave

--
While mindlink used to be my ISP now it is paralynx dot com. Please adjust the reply address to reflect the different domain

Re: Extensions under OS/2

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Dave Yeo wrote:

> William L. Hartzell wrote:
>
>> Sir:
>>
>> GriffWood Design wrote:
>>
>>> Sunday 18 December 2005
>>>

>>> More difficult is Mozilla Archive Format.  After failing with simple
>>> hacks to get the extension to work with FF, I have been in email
>>> contact with the author.  Apparently he is using zlib which requires
>>> platform specific builds.  That is beyond me, but maybe someone would
>>> like to contact him about producing an OS/2 version.
>>>
>> At the present moment no one has compiled a zlib version 1.2.3 that is
>> required to work around the security defects of 1.2.2 version, for which
>> there exists an OS/2 build (on Hobbes).  If you want that big security
>> hole, point him to the older build of zlib (but I think he'll refuse).
>>
> Take a look in Hobbes incoming (eventually /pub/os2/dev/unix). Should be
> compatible with most z.dll builds. Also includes static libs. Built with
> EMX.
> Dave

Very good as there are a few that need this.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Extensions under OS/2

Peter Weilbacher
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:02:46 UTC, GriffWood Design wrote:

> SpellBound will work again when the Thunderbird build reaches that of FF.  SpellBound uses the spellchecker.xpt, myspell.dll
> and spellchk.dll from Thunderbird.  For some reason, unlike Windows, these files need to be exactly from the same build
> level as FF.
>
> More difficult is Mozilla Archive Format.  After failing with simple hacks to get the extension to work with FF, I have been
> in email contact with the author.  Apparently he is using zlib which requires platform specific builds.  That is beyond me,
> but maybe someone would like to contact him about producing an OS/2 version.

Phil, great that you are supporting these extensions under OS/2! Did the
hints (to use Run! and zlib from the Mozilla sources/mozz.dll) already
solve your problems to keep them up-to-date? Note that TB is so far
behind FF in terms of release so that it is unlikely to ever reach the
exact same code-level soon, unlike the 1.0.x releases.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup

Re: Extensions under OS/2

PGAGA
Monday, December 26, 2005

HI Peter!

> Phil, great that you are supporting these extensions under OS/2! Did the
> hints (to use Run!

As for Spell Bound, Run! would not help in this case because FF is
finding the spellcheck files,  It just cannot use them or refuses to
start and I have to delete them.  It may be that I have to copy more
files than just the three from Thunderbird.

I am beginning to test using your builds and will see what happens.

I suspect if I had a TB 1.5 build from the same day as the FF1.5
release build, it would work.

> and zlib from the Mozilla sources/mozz.dll) already
> solve your problems to keep them up-to-date?

I have sent a message to the MAF author with this information and for
clarity on how he is using zlib and await his reply.

> Note that TB is so far
> behind FF in terms of release so that it is unlikely to ever reach the
> exact same code-level soon, unlike the 1.0.x releases.

What puzzles me is why this problem exists with OS/2 and not under
Windows.  For example I am using a Windows Nov 11 FF 1.5 with December
17 2004 TB spellchecker files.

I will keep on plugging away at this.

Phil

PGAGA wrote:

> What puzzles me is why this problem exists with OS/2 and not under
> Windows.  For example I am using a Windows Nov 11 FF 1.5 with December
> 17 2004 TB spellchecker files.

That I find puzzling as well. On Linux I have observed extensions to be
compatible much longer (comparing different Mozilla/SeaMonkey builds
along the same branch) while on OS/2 they fail very quickly. It must
have something to do with the way calls to DLLs are handled on OS/2. But
I don't even know where to start looking.
   P.

Re: Extensions under OS/2

PGAGA
Tuesday 03 January 2006

Hi Peter!

> That I find puzzling as well. On Linux I have observed extensions to be
> compatible much longer (comparing different Mozilla/SeaMonkey builds
> along the same branch) while on OS/2 they fail very quickly. It must
> have something to do with the way calls to DLLs are handled on OS/2. But
> I don't even know where to start looking.

At this point I have no suggestion except maybe that there is some call
that seeks some kind of build identity.

The good news is that I now have Spellbound working with my 1.5.  I am
not sure how it happened.  Tonight I tested again using the 0.7.5
developer build which I have been testing for a while now.  Earlier I
had tried some November 8 TB dlls and had thought they had failed.
This time they worked.  Now I have to figure out from whence they came.

The bad news is that I had to back out to FF 1.5 from your build.  On
my system (Celeron 500), there was a performance degradation.

I corresponded with the MAF extension builder and he is building a
custom ZLib for the extension.

Phil

Re: Extensions under OS/2

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

PGAGA wrote:

> Tuesday 03 January 2006
>
> Hi Peter!
>
>> That I find puzzling as well. On Linux I have observed extensions
>> to be compatible much longer (comparing different Mozilla/SeaMonkey
>> builds along the same branch) while on OS/2 they fail very quickly.
>> It must have something to do with the way calls to DLLs are handled
>> on OS/2. But I don't even know where to start looking.
>
> At this point I have no suggestion except maybe that there is some
> call that seeks some kind of build identity.
>
> The good news is that I now have Spellbound working with my 1.5.  I
> am not sure how it happened.  Tonight I tested again using the 0.7.5
> developer build which I have been testing for a while now.  Earlier I
>  had tried some November 8 TB dlls and had thought they had failed.
> This time they worked.  Now I have to figure out from whence they
> came.

How does one tell if the install of SpellBound is there?  It, Nov 8
version, installed ok on Peter's build of SeaMonkey, but I don't know
what it does.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Extensions under OS/2

GriffWood Design
** Reply to note from "William L. Hartzell" <[hidden email]> Tue, 03 Jan 2006 22:46:46 -0600

Wednesday 04 January 2006

Hi Bill!

> How does one tell if the install of SpellBound is there?  It, Nov 8
> version, installed ok on Peter's build of SeaMonkey, but I don't know
> what it does.

Did you install from the installation site.  SpellBound works with Mozilla and IBM Web Browser.  I do not have Seamonkey
installed so cannot say whether SeaMonkey is recognized or not, I do not know.

If it installed successfully, you should see the SpellBound icon in the lower left.  Also you will see a SpellBound section
under preferences.

SpellBound permits use of the MySpell checker in text boxes on Web pages.

Phil

-

GriffWood Design wrote:

> ** Reply to note from "William L. Hartzell" <[hidden email]>
> Tue, 03 Jan 2006 22:46:46 -0600
>
> Wednesday 04 January 2006
>
> Hi Bill!
>
>> How does one tell if the install of SpellBound is there?  It, Nov 8
>>  version, installed ok on Peter's build of SeaMonkey, but I don't
>> know what it does.
>
> Did you install from the installation site.  SpellBound works with
> Mozilla and IBM Web Browser.  I do not have Seamonkey installed so
> cannot say whether SeaMonkey is recognized or not, I do not know.
>
> If it installed successfully, you should see the SpellBound icon in
> the lower left.  Also you will see a SpellBound section under
> preferences.
>
> SpellBound permits use of the MySpell checker in text boxes on Web
> pages.

No icon on the lower left.  There is a section in preferences, but it
shows XML Parsing Error: error in processing external entity references.
Location: Chrome://spellbound/content/prefsForm.xul
Line Number 45, Column 1:%versionDTD;  With the error caret under the %.

So I guess that it failed.

--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Extensions under OS/2

PGAGA
Friday 06 January 2006

Hi Bill!

> No icon on the lower left.  There is a section in preferences, but it
> shows XML Parsing Error: error in processing external entity references.
> Location: Chrome://spellbound/content/prefsForm.xul
> Line Number 45, Column 1:%versionDTD;  With the error caret under the %.

I am writing this in a text box using the Seamonkey Beta build.  I
installed using a 0.7.3 downloaded xpi.  Under preferences I get the
error, but the icon appears and the checker appears to work.

I should note that the developer build which I have for testing
purposes works even without the preference bug.  I will get in contact
with the author about this.

I will now download and test Peter's build.

Phil

Re: Extensions under OS/2

PGAGA
Friday 06 January 2006

With the same reservations noted in my last post SpellBound works with
Peter's build of Seamonkey.

Phil

Re: Extensions under OS/2

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

PGAGA wrote:
> Friday 06 January 2006
>
> With the same reservations noted in my last post SpellBound works
> with Peter's build of Seamonkey.

Okay, we have different results for Peter's build.  I installed to the
SeaMonkey program directory.  Did you install to the profile folder?

--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Extensions under OS/2

GriffWood Design
** Reply to note from "William L. Hartzell" <[hidden email]> Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:29:38 -0600

Saturday 07 January 2006

Hi Bill!

> Okay, we have different results for Peter's build.  I installed to the
> SeaMonkey program directory.  Did you install to the profile folder?

I installed it to the profile folder.

Phil

-