Extension to selectively block javascripting per site?

Extension to selectively block javascripting per site?

Philip Prindeville
I was wondering if there was an extension for Firefox to
selectively disable javascripts on a per-site basis, kind of like
what Adblock does, but for javascripting only.

Reason is there's this killer website called www.mrc.org/ that
has good content, but they have the most inane anti-social
javascripting that really buggers up Firefox, like intercepting
mouseOver events so that they can change colors on links
(their webmaster has waaay too much free time)...  Which means
that you can't right click and do a "copy-link location" since
the default action gets canceled.

Grrr.  That's foolish, because one of the things you want to
do is read their articles, and then paste links to them into
your emails and tell your buddies.

But you can't.

The other bit of cerebral-mortification they have experienced
involves those dreaded scrolling advert-bars that spin-wait
while they scroll a pixel at a time, using 100% of your CPU
(regardless of how infinitely fast your CPU is).

I saw NoScript in the Firefox Add-ons page, but it seems to be
overkill and uses a whitelisting policy...  And I'm looking for
something that has a blacklisting policy instead (i.e. allows all
sites except those that are known to behave poorly).

Thanks,

-Philip

Re: Extension to selectively block javascripting per site?

Jay Garcia
On 08.02.2006 17:32, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> I was wondering if there was an extension for Firefox to
> selectively disable javascripts on a per-site basis, kind of like
> what Adblock does, but for javascripting only.
>
> Reason is there's this killer website called www.mrc.org/ that
> has good content, but they have the most inane anti-social
> javascripting that really buggers up Firefox, like intercepting
> mouseOver events so that they can change colors on links
> (their webmaster has waaay too much free time)...  Which means
> that you can't right click and do a "copy-link location" since
> the default action gets canceled.
>
> Grrr.  That's foolish, because one of the things you want to
> do is read their articles, and then paste links to them into
> your emails and tell your buddies.
>
> But you can't.
>
> The other bit of cerebral-mortification they have experienced
> involves those dreaded scrolling advert-bars that spin-wait
> while they scroll a pixel at a time, using 100% of your CPU
> (regardless of how infinitely fast your CPU is).
>
> I saw NoScript in the Firefox Add-ons page, but it seems to be
> overkill and uses a whitelisting policy...  And I'm looking for
> something that has a blacklisting policy instead (i.e. allows all
> sites except those that are known to behave poorly).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Philip

With FF 1.5.0.1 I have no problems as you describe on that site.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Extension to selectively block javascripting per site?

Rinaldi J. Montessi-2
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 08.02.2006 17:32, Philip Prindeville wrote:

It's the scrolling text block in the right hand column that's causing
the CPU to spike.  Place your mouse pointer in the block to stop the
scroll and CPU returns to normal.

<SCRIPT language="javascript1.2">
//Specify the marquee's width (in pixels)
var marqueewidth="123px"
//Specify the marquee's height
var marqueeheight="200px"
//Specify the marquee's marquee speed (larger is faster 1-10)
var marqueespeed=1
//Pause marquee onMousever (0=no. 1=yes)?
var pauseit=1
//Absolute positioning
var yCoord=400
var xCoord=200
</SCRIPT>

Of course there's also:

I'm viewing with:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060201
SeaMonkey/1.5a

--
*Rinaldi*
Mike: "The Fourth Dimension is a shambles?"

On 09.02.2006 06:27, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

>> On 08.02.2006 17:32, Philip Prindeville wrote:

Ok, yes ...

However, my CPU spikes up to 50% when the script is first accessed but
settles down to 7 - 16% .. If I stop it, the cpu idles at around 5% and
when moving the cursor off the script it again spikes to 50% and then
settles back down again.

Never do I see a 100% spike, temporary or not.

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>> On 08.02.2006 17:32, Philip Prindeville wrote:

Good to know.

Are you able to place your mouse on a link and do a "copy link
location"?

Or is it just for me that that doesn't work?

Philip Prindeville wrote:

> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> On 08.02.2006 17:32, Philip Prindeville wrote:

Yes.  But remember I'm using SeaMonkey not FireFox.

> Or is it just for me that that doesn't work?

I hope replying via email with cc the group was an error.  It's
generally frowned upon.

--
*Rinaldi*
Why don't elephants eat penguins ?

Because they can't get the wrappers off ...

Re: Extension to selectively block javascripting per site?

Matt Nordhoff
On 02/08/06 18:32, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> I was wondering if there was an extension for Firefox to
> selectively disable javascripts on a per-site basis, kind of like
> what Adblock does, but for javascripting only.
>
> Reason is there's this killer website called www.mrc.org/ that
> has good content, but they have the most inane anti-social
> javascripting that really buggers up Firefox, like intercepting
> mouseOver events so that they can change colors on links
> (their webmaster has waaay too much free time)...  Which means
> that you can't right click and do a "copy-link location" since
> the default action gets canceled.
>
> Grrr.  That's foolish, because one of the things you want to
> do is read their articles, and then paste links to them into
> your emails and tell your buddies.
>
> But you can't.
>
> The other bit of cerebral-mortification they have experienced
> involves those dreaded scrolling advert-bars that spin-wait
> while they scroll a pixel at a time, using 100% of your CPU
> (regardless of how infinitely fast your CPU is).
>
> I saw NoScript in the Firefox Add-ons page, but it seems to be
> overkill and uses a whitelisting policy...  And I'm looking for
> something that has a blacklisting policy instead (i.e. allows all
> sites except those that are known to behave poorly).

Policy Manager?

<http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_policymanager.html.en>

(Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.support.firefox...)
--
Matt Nordhoff, aka Peng