Extension QA

Tim Ogilvie
Pronto is a comparison shopping tool that automatically alerts shoppers
if there is a lower price available elsewhere on the web. We crawl the
web to understand the lowest prices available anywhere, and use that
index to alert consumers. We've had an IE-based utility that is
currently in beta (works on both FF and IE, and are working on a more
"pure" firefox extension.

We are looking for frameworks to help do (automated) regression testing
on our firefox extension.  There are various javascript debugging
tools, and even some JUnit-like unit test frameworks that come close to
addressing parts of the problem.  But most of these tools are centered
around webserver-delivered javascript, and not firefox extension
javascript, nor XPCOM components written in javascript.  They are also
mostly developer-focused debugging tools rather than QA tools.

I could imagine ways to create a wrapper around an extension that could
do some form of measurements and logging while some external script
drove test URLs into the browser.  And because this is an AJAX
application, it would also need to be configured in such a way that
URLs were fetched from a QA machine, with some other QA machine
answering the AJAX XMLHttp requests.

However, creating such a framework is a bit of work, and since this is
not problem that is unique to our extension, it seems like many people
would have a need for such a tool.  Is there anything out there people
use to do QA on a firefox extension? (especially one that uses AJAX)

Any pointers/help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is not the right
forum.

Thanks!

Re: Extension QA

Dave Liebreich
[hidden email] wrote:
[...]
> However, creating such a framework is a bit of work, and since this is
> not problem that is unique to our extension, it seems like many people
> would have a need for such a tool.  Is there anything out there people
> use to do QA on a firefox extension? (especially one that uses AJAX)

I was hoping someone else would post about a harness I had not yet heard
of.  Ah well.

I've looked at foxunit[1] and wrote a test[1.5] for a simple extension.
  I wrote a simple test script[2] in python that uses jssh to drive the
browser.  And I've just converted a couple of tests to use jsUnit[3].

Some upcoming tasks I have planned are to add report-to-Litmus to the
above harnesses (xmlHTTPRequest-based, aka AJAX), and work on converting
jsUnit to run with privileges.

If you want to help . . . :-)

-Dave

1: