Exceptions panel - bug 378443

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exceptions panel - bug 378443

majken@gmail.com
I filed this bug a while ago, and it's getting no attention from the
current team, for better or worse, at least as far as action on the
bug is concerned, maybe it was discussed but not reflected in the bug?

This is a regression for me.  Almost all of my events are recurring
events.  I do have meetings but I also have a lot of classes.  These
have set exceptions in advance, and they don't just coincide with the
traditional weeks off, or the weeks the kids have off of school.  I
need to have these exceptions set up so I know what's going on, and
it's really non-trivial to go through the graphical UI and delete them
that way.

For the case where something gets canceled for one week on the fly,
like would a meeting, the current way is great, I've already got the
view open, it's just one, and it's probably in the same month or week
view that I'm already looking at.  But going through and finding x
exceptions through 10 months...

Let's imagine that I use the week or day view (I use the month view).
I would need to switch to month view to change dates easily, and then
on a day with a lot of events (I'm tracking 3 people here) I would
need to switch *back* to day or week view to make sure I'm grabbing
the right event, and then repeat.

I *used* to be able to just call up a panel, and enter the exceptions
in any date format I chose, because Sunbird/Lightning is awesome like
that, and it'd be done. It used to be easier :(
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exceptions panel - bug 378443

majken@gmail.com
Thinking about this further, if I did accidentally delete the wrong
event or delete it on the wrong day, is there currently an easy way to
add it back, or would I have to create a standalone to fill its place?
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exceptions panel - bug 378443

Philipp Kewisch
On 26 Nov., 09:52, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thinking about this further, if I did accidentally delete the wrong
> event or delete it on the wrong day, is there currently an easy way to
> add it back, or would I have to create a standalone to fill its place?

Hey,

Sorry that there has been no advance on that bug. The possibility was
mentioned on a status call shortly [1], but only in the context that
its something that used to exist and it should be made sure that a bug
was filed. I do see your use case and have come across the same
Problem, but I took the burden of going through the calendar.

I added the uiwanted keyword to that bug, maybe that will speed up
things. As stated in the bug, I doubt that we will be able to fix this
for 0.8, given the high number of bugs that should be fixed. It would
be great if we had more developers :)

( Just for reference, the bug majken mentioned is [2]  )

Philipp

[1] http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Status_Meetings:2007-11-21#Prototype_vs._Original_Event_Dialog
[2] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=378443
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exceptions panel - bug 378443

majken@gmail.com
On Nov 28, 7:05 am, Philipp Kewisch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 Nov., 09:52, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thinking about this further, if I did accidentally delete the wrong
> > event or delete it on the wrong day, is there currently an easy way to
> > add it back, or would I have to create a standalone to fill its place?
>
> Hey,
>
> Sorry that there has been no advance on that bug. The possibility was
> mentioned on a status call shortly [1], but only in the context that
> its something that used to exist and it should be made sure that a bug
> was filed. I do see your use case and have come across the same
> Problem, but I took the burden of going through the calendar.
>
> I added the uiwanted keyword to that bug, maybe that will speed up
> things. As stated in the bug, I doubt that we will be able to fix this
> for 0.8, given the high number of bugs that should be fixed. It would
> be great if we had more developers :)
>
> ( Just for reference, the bug majken mentioned is [2]  )
>
> Philipp
>
> [1]http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Status_Meetings:2007-11-21#Prototype...
> [2]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=378443

Thanks for the response, burden is exactly it.  I found and used (and
got my husband to use) sunbird because we're crappy at keeping
schedules straight, and keeping each other informed.  As soon as it
gets too hard to maintain the *correct* schedule, all of a sudden it
doesn't help anymore.  Exceptions are the big reason for using a
proper calendar rather than our old solution which was to have our
regular events on a whiteboard: eg "monday 6.30 gryphon has class,
Tuesday 4pm Mike has meeting."

The bug where this was removed (and was supposed to be reconsidered
again) has someone saying that 80% of users wouldn't use this, but
100% of users have holidays.  I think maybe a lot of people would just
not worry about correctly marking the holidays rather than complain.

Anyway, surely you guys get my point by now.  I'll mention again, the
UI jminta mocked up when the UI was removed in the first place is
exactly what I would want.  I imagine it'd be an extra panel that
would expand after hitting an "exceptions"  button?  Even if it's
another dialog, if you don't want to add it in to the panel at this
point.  Just something that lets me see the exceptions and easily add
and remove them.  I'd even work for me having to right click on the
event to get to it, if that can get it in faster, and then tweak it
later.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exceptions panel - bug 378443

Michiel van Leeuwen
In reply to this post by majken@gmail.com
[hidden email] wrote:
> This is a regression for me.  Almost all of my events are recurring
> events.  I do have meetings but I also have a lot of classes.  These
> have set exceptions in advance, and they don't just coincide with the
> traditional weeks off, or the weeks the kids have off of school.  I
> need to have these exceptions set up so I know what's going on, and
> it's really non-trivial to go through the graphical UI and delete them
> that way.

Just an UI idea that popped into my mind: how about using the recurrence
preview for this? It would need to be possible to switch to different
months, noth just the current month. Then, you just select oneof the
bold days, use mouse context menu to say 'add exception'. Would that work?

Now that I write it down, there is one problem: you still can't just
type the days. If that's a problem, we need a different solution. But at
least, you don't have to use the main window anymore.

How does something like this sound?


Michiel
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exceptions panel - bug 378443

Patrick Strasser
Michiel van Leeuwen schrieb am 2007-11-29 20:23:
> Just an UI idea that popped into my mind: how about using the recurrence
> preview for this? It would need to be possible to switch to different
> months, noth just the current month. Then, you just select oneof the
> bold days, use mouse context menu to say 'add exception'. Would that work?

This would be usefull for other things as well:

Say I'm student, I have classes, that repeat weekly. The semester ends
with say 3rd of February. Now I want to be sure I got the date right and
the last occurrence is right. Moreover I have holidays and I want to
check if I have my exceptions right. Right now, I only see this month,
in worst case that would be a single reoccurrence.

Patrick
--
Engineers motto: cheap, good, fast: choose any two
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at tugraz dot at>
Student of Telematik, Techn. University Graz, Austria
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exceptions panel - bug 378443

majken@gmail.com
In reply to this post by Michiel van Leeuwen
On Nov 29, 2:23 pm, Michiel van Leeuwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > This is a regression for me.  Almost all of my events are recurring
> > events.  I do have meetings but I also have a lot of classes.  These
> > have set exceptions in advance, and they don't just coincide with the
> > traditional weeks off, or the weeks the kids have off of school.  I
> > need to have these exceptions set up so I know what's going on, and
> > it's really non-trivial to go through the graphical UI and delete them
> > that way.
>
> Just an UI idea that popped into my mind: how about using the recurrence
> preview for this? It would need to be possible to switch to different
> months, noth just the current month. Then, you just select oneof the
> bold days, use mouse context menu to say 'add exception'. Would that work?
>
> Now that I write it down, there is one problem: you still can't just
> type the days. If that's a problem, we need a different solution. But at
> least, you don't have to use the main window anymore.
>
> How does something like this sound?
>
> Michiel

Can you show me a mock up, or tell me where to look to see what you
mean? This sounds a lot to me like the UI that was removed in the
first place, but I might be picturing it wrong.  Typing the dates IMO
is important, although it could be added in later.  The date picker
you speak of loads much faster than switching months in the calendar
and would still be an improvement worth making.

Typing the dates though, was the best and fastest way of doing it IMO,
but with the date picker you do get the added bonus of making sure
you're entering the right date by also cross referencing with the day
name. IE I can make sure the date I'm making the exception for is a
monday.  If it gets it in faster I'd definitely be willing to forgo
the typing in dates for now and give feedback after I've played with
it.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar