Evolve extension gets in the way: don't offer to add evolve to one's hgrc when |mach bootstrap| is executed.

Evolve extension gets in the way: don't offer to add evolve to one's hgrc when |mach bootstrap| is executed.

ISHIKAWA,chiaki

Hi,

Thank you for the great open source package.
I have been building and sending patches to mozilla TB.

Lately (actually a few hours ago), I updated my source tree in about two months to make sure my local patches
are good to go with the latest source tree.

Of course, I need to tweak the patches, but that is not a problem. It is a routine.

Problem is with |mach bootstrap|. Well, sort of.

I realize that my configure step fails due to cbindgen or some such missing on my computer.
(I use linux for TB build and aftrer "mlocate bindgen", I figure that |mach bootstrap| will install it.
I was right. But during |make hootstrap|, I was tired and must have answered yes or something to the effect of letting it install evolve extension to hgrc.

That was a big mistake.

After that, a few |hg qpop -a| or |hg qpush -a| which used to be snappy (ok, I admit sometimes it gets slow after system restart due to watchman not warming up, etc.), now takes tens of minutes (!) Agha.

From the message after |hg qpop -a|, for example:

--- quote ---
Stable range are used for discovery missing osbsolescence markers during
exchange. While the algorithm we use can scale well for large repositories, the
naive python implementation that you are using is not very efficient, the
storage backend for that cache neither.

This computation will finish in a finite amount of time, even for repositories
with millions of revision and many merges. However It might take multiple tens
of minutes to complete in such case.
--- end quote ---

Well, mozilla *IS* a big repository.
This will waste precious developer time... :-(
I am sure that those who need this will install it themselves without |mac bootstrap|.

PLEASE DON'T OFFER to install evolve extension to unsuspecting developers.
Thanks a million.

Chiaki

Re: Evolve extension gets in the way: don't offer to add evolve to one's hgrc when |mach bootstrap| is executed.

gsquelart
On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 12:51:27 AM UTC+11, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the great open source package.
>
>       I have been building and sending patches to mozilla TB.
>
> Lately (actually a few hours ago), I updated my source tree in
>       about two months to make sure my local patches
>
>       are good to go with the latest source tree.
>
> Of course, I need to tweak the patches, but that is not a
>       problem. It is a routine.
>

>       Problem is with |mach bootstrap|. Well, sort of.
>
> I realize that my configure step fails due to cbindgen or some
>       such missing on my computer.
>
>       (I use linux for TB build and aftrer "mlocate bindgen", I figure
>       that |mach bootstrap| will install it.
>
>       I was right. But during |make hootstrap|, I was tired and must
>       have answered yes or something to the effect of letting it install
>       evolve extension to hgrc.
>

>       That was a big mistake.
>
> After that, a few |hg qpop -a| or |hg qpush -a| which used to be
>       snappy (ok, I admit sometimes it gets slow after system restart
>       due to watchman not warming up, etc.), now takes tens of minutes
>       (!) Agha.
>

>       From the message after |hg qpop -a|, for example:
>
> --- quote ---
>
>       Stable range are used for discovery missing osbsolescence markers
>       during
>
>       exchange. While the algorithm we use can scale well for large
>       repositories, the
>
>       naive python implementation that you are using is not very
>       efficient, the
>
>       storage backend for that cache neither.
>

>       This computation will finish in a finite amount of time, even for
>       repositories
>
>       with millions of revision and many merges. However It might take
>       multiple tens
>
>       of minutes to complete in such case.
>
>       --- end quote ---
>

>       Well, mozilla *IS* a big repository.
>
>       This will waste precious developer time... :-(
>
>       I am sure that those who need this will install it themselves
>       without |mac bootstrap|.
>

>       PLEASE DON'T OFFER to install evolve extension to unsuspecting
>       developers.
>
>       Thanks a million.
>
> Chiaki

I used to use mq, but have switched to evolve, and I now rely on it heavily in my workflow.

So instead I would say:
Please continue to offer the option to install/update evolve, but make the current issues more obvious, and maybe default it to No.
And for those who still want to install it, suggest adding 'evolution.obsdiscovery = no' in the [experimental] mercurial config -- it disables the obsolescence functionality, so there's no more long waits.

On 2018/10/11 8:49, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

      From the message after |hg qpop -a|, for example:

[...]

Thank you for your comment.

Hmm, it seems evolve does have merits.

But before I can learn and confirm its usefullness, the idea of
disabling obsdiscovery seems to be a good way.

The wait was so long and thus my initial e-mail.

TIA.