Event dialog > Attachments has no effect on Google calendar?

Event dialog > Attachments has no effect on Google calendar?

STF-7
        As a follow-up to my previous mails, I have just done a little test.

1. I created a *local calendar* in the hard drive.
2. I created an event and added a bogus URL to attachment.
3. I closed the event and opened it again.
Observation: the URL is still present in attachment.

4. I connected to a Google calendar
5. I created an event and added a bogus URL to attachment.
6. I closed the event and opened it again.
Observation: the URL has disappeared!

        Is that because Google calendar does not support "attachment" for some
reason?  Standard?  Or is this a bug?

        Cheers

Re: Event dialog > Attachments has no effect on Google calendar?

Stefan Sitter-2
On 16.05.2016 20:29, STF wrote:
>     As a follow-up to my previous mails, I have just done a little test.

What version of Thunderbird and Lightning did you use for testing?

> 1. I created a *local calendar* in the hard drive.
> 2. I created an event and added a bogus URL to attachment.
> 3. I closed the event and opened it again.
> Observation: the URL is still present in attachment.
>
> 4. I connected to a Google calendar

Are you using the build-in CalDAV provider or the Provider for Google
Calendar extension to access your calendar?

> 5. I created an event and added a bogus URL to attachment.
> 6. I closed the event and opened it again.
> Observation: the URL has disappeared!
>
>     Is that because Google calendar does not support "attachment" for
> some reason?  Standard?  Or is this a bug?

Does Google support adding attachments links to an event using the
Google Calendar web interface?

/Stefan

Re: Event dialog > Attachments has no effect on Google calendar?

Philipp Kewisch-2
On 5/16/16 11:20 PM, Stefan Sitter wrote:
> On 16.05.2016 20:29, STF wrote:
>>     Is that because Google calendar does not support "attachment" for
>> some reason?  Standard?  Or is this a bug?
>
> Does Google support adding attachments links to an event using the
> Google Calendar web interface?

Google's support for attachments is different than what the Provider
currently does for Lightning.

What the Provider does is add an extended property to the event, which
holds the ATTACH property urls from Lightning. This is only visible in
Lightning, not in any other apps or via the web interface.

Google added an attachments API that is backed by Google Drive, I have
not implemented this yet.

Does this already answer your question, or is there a problem with what
the provider implements? I could not fully understand this from your
initial post.

Philipp

On 2016.05.16 23:20, Stefan Sitter wrote:
> On 16.05.2016 20:29, STF wrote:
>>     As a follow-up to my previous mails, I have just done a little test.
>
> What version of Thunderbird and Lightning did you use for testing?

Thunderbird 45.0
Lightning 4.7

>> 1. I created a *local calendar* in the hard drive.
>> 2. I created an event and added a bogus URL to attachment.
>> 3. I closed the event and opened it again.
>> Observation: the URL is still present in attachment.
>>
>> 4. I connected to a Google calendar
>
> Are you using the build-in CalDAV provider or the Provider for Google
> Calendar extension to access your calendar?

CalDAV provider.

(I always prefer something general having a broad and widely accepted
standard than specific implementation which has its own "standard" --
the day when the guys who know this specific implementation are gone,
the product will virtually be dead)

>> 5. I created an event and added a bogus URL to attachment.
>> 6. I closed the event and opened it again.
>> Observation: the URL has disappeared!
>>
>>     Is that because Google calendar does not support "attachment" for
>> some reason?  Standard?  Or is this a bug?
>
> Does Google support adding attachments links to an event using the
> Google Calendar web interface?

I would say "sort of yes".  In Google Calendar web interface, the
attachment function lets us attach files.  So I suppose I could create a
shortcut file and attach it.

On 5/17/16 10:40 AM, STF wrote:

> On 2016.05.16 23:20, Stefan Sitter wrote:
>> On 16.05.2016 20:29, STF wrote:
>> Are you using the build-in CalDAV provider or the Provider for Google
>> Calendar extension to access your calendar?
>
> CalDAV provider.
>
> (I always prefer something general having a broad and widely accepted
> standard than specific implementation which has its own "standard" --
> the day when the guys who know this specific implementation are gone,
> the product will virtually be dead)

It may well be that Google does not store the properties when using the
caldav access. You can check it by enabling the debug prefs and noting
the difference between what is sent and what is received.

>> Does Google support adding attachments links to an event using the
>> Google Calendar web interface?
>
> I would say "sort of yes".  In Google Calendar web interface, the
> attachment function lets us attach files.  So I suppose I could create a
> shortcut file and attach it.
I don't think these attachments are exposed via CalDAV.

Philipp

On 2016.05.17 10:17, Philipp Kewisch wrote:

> On 5/16/16 11:20 PM, Stefan Sitter wrote:
>> On 16.05.2016 20:29, STF wrote:
>>>     Is that because Google calendar does not support "attachment" for
>>> some reason?  Standard?  Or is this a bug?
>>
>> Does Google support adding attachments links to an event using the
>> Google Calendar web interface?
>
> Google's support for attachments is different than what the Provider
> currently does for Lightning.

I'm no expert in iCalendar standard -- I've just taken a fast glance at
RFC 5545 and saw the ATTACH property description and some examples.  So,
"attachment" is a well-defined property in the standard (RFC 5545).

Does it mean Google is *misusing* this property and Google does not
follow the standard?  Then, maybe someone should report this to Google
to see how they are going to cope with this error from them?

Or alternatively, is it possible to create a Mozilla-specific property
as a (temporary) workaround for this aim?

> What the Provider does is add an extended property to the event, which
> holds the ATTACH property urls from Lightning. This is only visible in
> Lightning, not in any other apps or via the web interface.

I understand.  If a software is unable to deal with a property, as a
convention, it should *leave it alone*.  But Google calendar seems to
destroy it instead of leaving it alone (--> got to verify this point)

> Google added an attachments API that is backed by Google Drive, I have
> not implemented this yet.

I do not use the specific provider-implementation to connect to Google
calendar.  I personally prefer standard compliant way of doing things as
stated in previous post.

> Does this already answer your question, or is there a problem with what
> the provider implements?

I don't know.  I observed an unexpected behaviour and reported it and
was wondering if there's a bug in Thunderbird or in Google calendar :)

On 2016.05.17 10:51, Philipp Kewisch wrote:

> On 5/17/16 10:40 AM, STF wrote:
>> On 2016.05.16 23:20, Stefan Sitter wrote:
>>> On 16.05.2016 20:29, STF wrote:
>>> Are you using the build-in CalDAV provider or the Provider for Google
>>> Calendar extension to access your calendar?
>>
>> CalDAV provider.
>>
>> (I always prefer something general having a broad and widely accepted
>> standard than specific implementation which has its own "standard" --
>> the day when the guys who know this specific implementation are gone,
>> the product will virtually be dead)
>
> It may well be that Google does not store the properties when using the
> caldav access.

I'm very surprise to hear this.  I always thought if a program is unable
to process a property, it would just leave it alone instead of
destroying it.

So you're basically speculating that the string presenting the event is
not stored in its entirety, right?

> You can check it by enabling the debug prefs and noting
> the difference between what is sent and what is received.

What to do exactly?  I mean, are talking about about "about:config"?
And what is the preference name?

>>> Does Google support adding attachments links to an event using the
>>> Google Calendar web interface?
>>
>> I would say "sort of yes".  In Google Calendar web interface, the
>> attachment function lets us attach files.  So I suppose I could create a
>> shortcut file and attach it.
> I don't think these attachments are exposed via CalDAV.

Weird.  I always thought the CalDAV is the transport which doesn't care
of the content.  I mean, it's much like HTTP: we can invent any tag we
like inside an HTML document, like
<this_is_my_tag>xxxxxxyyyyy, whatever</this_is_my_tag>
HTTP doesn't care if the tags are supported by HTML standard or not.
Its job is transport.  It does not care of the content which is a LONG
string.