Error running mach

Rushikesh Jogdand
I'm trying to build mozilla on Ubuntu 16.10

I did following:-
1. run ```bootstrap.py```
2. clone mozilla-central repo
3. make mach executable <chmod 777 mach>
4. run ./mach build

I'm getting following error:-
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Rushi98/2852849c13b246e992eb8e407c4dd540/raw/4703db8b267eb7a6c15dada65f296d3b87ebfe15/error

Re: Error running mach

Ted Mielczarek-2
On Thu, Feb 2, 2017, at 12:18 AM, Rushikesh Jogdand wrote:

> I'm trying to build mozilla on Ubuntu 16.10
>
> I did following:-
> 1. run ```bootstrap.py```
> 2. clone mozilla-central repo
> 3. make mach executable <chmod 777 mach>
> 4. run ./mach build
>
> I'm getting following error:-
> https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Rushi98/2852849c13b246e992eb8e407c4dd540/raw/4703db8b267eb7a6c15dada65f296d3b87ebfe15/error

Hi Rushikesh,

That error is coming from the build system trying to run config.guess:
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/build/autoconf/config.guess

Is that file not marked as executable in your checkout? It should be! We
could definitely have a better error message for that, but it's a pretty
unlikely error. Is there a reason you had to chmod mach, as well? Both
of those files are committed with 0755 permissions in the repository:
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/1d025ac534a6333a8170a59a95a8a3673d4028ee/mach
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/1d025ac534a6333a8170a59a95a8a3673d4028ee/build/autoconf/config.guess

Regards,
-Ted

Re: Error running mach

Mike Hommey
On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 08:10:59AM -0500, Ted Mielczarek wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017, at 12:18 AM, Rushikesh Jogdand wrote:
> > I'm trying to build mozilla on Ubuntu 16.10
> >
> > I did following:-
> > 1. run ```bootstrap.py```
> > 2. clone mozilla-central repo
> > 3. make mach executable <chmod 777 mach>
> > 4. run ./mach build
> >
> > I'm getting following error:-
> > https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Rushi98/2852849c13b246e992eb8e407c4dd540/raw/4703db8b267eb7a6c15dada65f296d3b87ebfe15/error
>

> Hi Rushikesh,
>
> That error is coming from the build system trying to run config.guess:
> https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/build/autoconf/config.guess
>
> Is that file not marked as executable in your checkout? It should be! We
> could definitely have a better error message for that, but it's a pretty
> unlikely error. Is there a reason you had to chmod mach, as well? Both
> of those files are committed with 0755 permissions in the repository:
> https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/1d025ac534a6333a8170a59a95a8a3673d4028ee/mach
> https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/1d025ac534a6333a8170a59a95a8a3673d4028ee/build/autoconf/config.guess

The executable bit on that file doesn't actually matter. We execute it
with a call through sh directly. So the error would be on executing sh,
not config.guess.

Rushikesh, can you give more mach build output, specifically, anything
that precedes the error.

Mike

Re: Error running mach

Rushikesh Jogdand
On Thursday, 2 February 2017 18:41:36 UTC+5:30, Ted Mielczarek  wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017, at 12:18 AM, Rushikesh Jogdand wrote:
> > I'm trying to build mozilla on Ubuntu 16.10
> >
> > I did following:-
> > 1. run ```bootstrap.py```
> > 2. clone mozilla-central repo
> > 3. make mach executable <chmod 777 mach>
> > 4. run ./mach build
> >
> > I'm getting following error:-
> > https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Rushi98/2852849c13b246e992eb8e407c4dd540/raw/4703db8b267eb7a6c15dada65f296d3b87ebfe15/error
>

> Hi Rushikesh,
>
> That error is coming from the build system trying to run config.guess:
> https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/build/autoconf/config.guess
>
> Is that file not marked as executable in your checkout? It should be! We
> could definitely have a better error message for that, but it's a pretty
> unlikely error. Is there a reason you had to chmod mach, as well? Both
> of those files are committed with 0755 permissions in the repository:
> https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/1d025ac534a6333a8170a59a95a8a3673d4028ee/mach
> https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/1d025ac534a6333a8170a59a95a8a3673d4028ee/build/autoconf/config.guess
>
> Regards,
> -Ted

My friend downloaded the full mozilla-central repository on Jan 25 2017 as a zip file. I unzipped It and then "hg pull"-ed and "hg update"d it.
I think that might be the cause because when I change file permission and repeat hg pull it detects no change.

Any way to correct this?

Re: Error running mach

Rushikesh Jogdand
On Friday, 3 February 2017 03:03:12 UTC+5:30, Mike Hommey  wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 08:10:59AM -0500, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 2, 2017, at 12:18 AM, Rushikesh Jogdand wrote:
> > > I'm trying to build mozilla on Ubuntu 16.10
> > >
> > > I did following:-
> > > 1. run ```bootstrap.py```
> > > 2. clone mozilla-central repo
> > > 3. make mach executable <chmod 777 mach>
> > > 4. run ./mach build
> > >
> > > I'm getting following error:-
> > > https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Rushi98/2852849c13b246e992eb8e407c4dd540/raw/4703db8b267eb7a6c15dada65f296d3b87ebfe15/error
> >

> > Hi Rushikesh,
> >
> > That error is coming from the build system trying to run config.guess:
> > https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/build/autoconf/config.guess
> >
> > Is that file not marked as executable in your checkout? It should be! We
> > could definitely have a better error message for that, but it's a pretty
> > unlikely error. Is there a reason you had to chmod mach, as well? Both
> > of those files are committed with 0755 permissions in the repository:
> > https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/1d025ac534a6333a8170a59a95a8a3673d4028ee/mach
> > https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/1d025ac534a6333a8170a59a95a8a3673d4028ee/build/autoconf/config.guess
>
> The executable bit on that file doesn't actually matter. We execute it
> with a call through sh directly. So the error would be on executing sh,
> not config.guess.
>
> Rushikesh, can you give more mach build output, specifically, anything
> that precedes the error.
>
> Mike

That was the only error.
In the meantime I made config.guess executable, the make started but after ~2 hr exited unsuccessfully. Here's the log:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Rushi98/4ff325ccde6bef260c987935aa371040/raw/8a514f9899ddb6f35fcf86404f7ba8e911db0b7a/error2

Re: Error running mach

Rushikesh Jogdand
I also found some other files which were not executable in my repo.
Can anyone post the output of "ls -ll * --recursive" of their mozilla-central repo. It's tedious to see each file's flags in browser.

Re: Error running mach

Rushikesh Jogdand
Thanks Ted and Mike.
The file flags don't really update on "hg update". I think this should be put in build pages. I did "hg up -C" and it worked, I made my first mozilla build!