Entering messages on FF Forum

Don Nickell-3
I just tried to enter a message on the MozillaZine FF
Forum and when finished was given the choice of save
to Draft or Exit.  I chose Draft and the message
disappeared.

What should I have done?   It seems to me that Exit
would have aborted the message.

Thanks

Re: Entering messages on FF Forum

Philip Chee
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:50:14 -0700, Don Nickell wrote:

> I just tried to enter a message on the MozillaZine FF
> Forum and when finished was given the choice of save
> to Draft or Exit.  I chose Draft and the message
> disappeared.
>
> What should I have done?   It seems to me that Exit
> would have aborted the message.

You should have three options:
1. Save 2. Preview 3. Submit.

If you don't see these then you aren't in the Mozillazine Forums.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

Philip Chee wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:50:14 -0700, Don Nickell wrote:
>
>> I just tried to enter a message on the MozillaZine FF
>> Forum and when finished was given the choice of save
>> to Draft or Exit.  I chose Draft and the message
>> disappeared.
>>
>> What should I have done?   It seems to me that Exit
>> would have aborted the message.
>
> You should have three options:
> 1. Save 2. Preview 3. Submit.
>
> If you don't see these then you aren't in the Mozillazine Forums.
>
> Phil

The URL of the site is:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

Is that not MozillaZine Forums?  If so I logged in and
searched for my user name and found a dozen entries.
Not saying your wrong...just very confused by the
entire experience.

Especially NOW since I just tried it again and saw
Load, Save, Preview, Submit.
Sigh...

Can we forget it, or do I have to live in shame
forever?  ;-)

Thanks for the reply,
Don

Re: Entering messages on FF Forum

squaredancer
On 21.06.2009 03:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Don Nickell to
generate the following:? :

> Philip Chee wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:50:14 -0700, Don Nickell wrote:
>>

>>> I just tried to enter a message on the MozillaZine FF
>>> Forum and when finished was given the choice of save
>>> to Draft or Exit.  I chose Draft and the message
>>> disappeared.
>>>
>>> What should I have done?   It seems to me that Exit
>>> would have aborted the message.
>>>
>> You should have three options:
>> 1. Save 2. Preview 3. Submit.
>>
>> If you don't see these then you aren't in the Mozillazine Forums.
>>
>> Phil
>>

> The URL of the site is:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
>
> Is that not MozillaZine Forums?  If so I logged in and
> searched for my user name and found a dozen entries.
> Not saying your wrong...just very confused by the
> entire experience.
>
> Especially NOW since I just tried it again and saw
> Load, Save, Preview, Submit.
> Sigh...
>
> Can we forget it, or do I have to live in shame
> forever?  ;-)
>
> Thanks for the reply,
> Don

Carry on as before, Old Fella, and we'll put it down to
(approaching....) seniority.
We will NOT mention that you live in Idaho... as that has only to do
with the weather!

Have fun!

reg

squaredancer wrote:

> On 21.06.2009 03:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Don Nickell to
> generate the following:? :
>> Philip Chee wrote:

>>> You should have three options:
>>> 1. Save 2. Preview 3. Submit.
>>>
>>> If you don't see these then you aren't in the Mozillazine Forums.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>

>> The URL of the site is: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
>>
>> Is that not MozillaZine Forums?  If so I logged in and searched for my
>> user name and found a dozen entries. Not saying your wrong...just very
>> confused by the entire experience.
>>
>> Especially NOW since I just tried it again and saw Load, Save,
>> Preview, Submit.
>> Sigh...
>>
>> Can we forget it, or do I have to live in shame forever?  ;-)
>>
>> Thanks for the reply,
>> Don
>>

> Carry on as before, Old Fella, and we'll put it down to
> (approaching....) seniority.
> We will NOT mention that you live in Idaho... as that has only to do
> with the weather!
>
> Have fun!
>
> reg

What did you do with the dancing bananas?  Eat them by
yourself?  You could have shared you know!  With a
very long straw!
Donaldo from Ideho

Re: Entering messages on FF Forum

squaredancer
On 21.06.2009 17:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Don Nickell to
generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 21.06.2009 03:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Don Nickell to
>> generate the following:? :

>>> The URL of the site is: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
>>>
>>> Is that not MozillaZine Forums?  If so I logged in and searched for my
>>> user name and found a dozen entries. Not saying your wrong...just very
>>> confused by the entire experience.
>>>
>>> Especially NOW since I just tried it again and saw Load, Save,
>>> Preview, Submit.
>>> Sigh...
>>>
>>> Can we forget it, or do I have to live in shame forever?  ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply,
>>> Don
>>>

>> Carry on as before, Old Fella, and we'll put it down to
>> (approaching....) seniority.
>> We will NOT mention that you live in Idaho... as that has only to do
>> with the weather!
>>
>> Have fun!
>>
>> reg
>>

> What did you do with the dancing bananas?  Eat them by
> yourself?  You could have shared you know!  With a
> very long straw!
> Donaldo from Ideho

not on this server.... Bananas are FUN - strictly not allowed here.

SecNews is the place to go now, as everything here is going to the
doghouse....

reg

Re: Entering messages on FF Forum

Beryl-10
squaredancer wrote:

> On 21.06.2009 17:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Don Nickell to
> generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 21.06.2009 03:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Don Nickell
>>> to generate the following:? :

>>> Carry on as before, Old Fella, and we'll put it down to
>>> (approaching....) seniority.
>>> We will NOT mention that you live in Idaho... as that has only to do
>>> with the weather!
>>>
>>> Have fun!
>>>
>>> reg
>>>

>> What did you do with the dancing bananas?  Eat them by yourself?  You
>> could have shared you know!  With a very long straw!
>> Donaldo from Ideho
>>

> not on this server.... Bananas are FUN - strictly not allowed here.
>
> SecNews is the place to go now, as everything here is going to the
> doghouse....
>
> reg

Where's the fun on the secnews server? I looked at 1/2 dozen groups,
found mostly old spam.

Re: Entering messages on FF Forum

M KC
Beryl wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 21.06.2009 17:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Don Nickell
>> to generate the following:? :

>>> What did you do with the dancing bananas?  Eat them by yourself?  You
>>> could have shared you know!  With a very long straw!
>>> Donaldo from Ideho
>>>

>> not on this server.... Bananas are FUN - strictly not allowed here.
>>
>> SecNews is the place to go now, as everything here is going to the
>> doghouse....
>>
>> reg
>
> Where's the fun on the secnews server? I looked at 1/2 dozen groups,
> found mostly old spam.

Try, 'netscape.test.multimedia'

M KC

MKC wrote:

> Beryl wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 21.06.2009 17:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Don Nickell
>>> to generate the following:? :

>>> not on this server.... Bananas are FUN - strictly not allowed here.
>>>
>>> SecNews is the place to go now, as everything here is going to the
>>> doghouse....
>>>
>>> reg
>>
>> Where's the fun on the secnews server? I looked at 1/2 dozen groups,
>> found mostly old spam.
>

> Try, 'netscape.test.multimedia'
>
> M KC

Can't fetch a group list on secnews.netscape.com when Secure Connection
and port 563 are selected. I get an alert that the site uses a security
protocol which isn't enabled. What's the other secure port number?

Some groups are there on port 119, but no multimedia group.
And I *know* there's a multimedia group, I used to read it years ago.

Re: Entering messages on FF Forum

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 22-06-2009 08:53 CET, Beryl composed this enchanting statement:

> MKC wrote:
>> Beryl wrote:

>>> Where's the fun on the secnews server? I looked at 1/2 dozen groups,
>>> found mostly old spam.
>>

>> Try, 'netscape.test.multimedia'
>>
>> M KC
>
> Can't fetch a group list on secnews.netscape.com when Secure
> Connection and port 563 are selected. I get an alert that the site
> uses a security protocol which isn't enabled. What's the other secure
> port number?
>
> Some groups are there on port 119, but no multimedia group.
> And I *know* there's a multimedia group, I used to read it years ago.

SSL (port 563) is correct. You'll have to hack the user preferences with
Config Editor for that _old_ protocol: add "security.ssl3.rsa_rc2_40_md5".

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 22-06-2009 08:53 CET, Beryl composed this enchanting statement:
>> MKC wrote:

>>> Try, 'netscape.test.multimedia'
>>>
>>> M KC
>>
>> Can't fetch a group list on secnews.netscape.com when Secure
>> Connection and port 563 are selected. I get an alert that the site
>> uses a security protocol which isn't enabled. What's the other secure
>> port number?
>>
>> Some groups are there on port 119, but no multimedia group.
>> And I *know* there's a multimedia group, I used to read it years ago.
>
> SSL (port 563) is correct. You'll have to hack the user preferences with
> Config Editor for that _old_ protocol: add "security.ssl3.rsa_rc2_40_md5".

Thank you. The old was already there, just needed a toggle to True.

Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation warning

Nir-2
Hi Beryl,

You're getting this message because we've noticed that you've been
posting a lot of off-topic messages lately. So you're aware, the
mozilla.support.* newsgroups are subject to the Mozilla Forum Etiquette
rules <http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html>. "Stay on
topic" is one of those basic rules. As a matter of fact, off-topic
posts are eligible for removal from the news server. See
<http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>.

It's important to remember that the reason people subscribe to the
Mozilla Support newsgroups or mailing lists is for user support; and if
they have to read through many messages that are of no help in their
use of the product, they're not getting what they subscribed for. We
would appreciate it if you cut down on the amount off-topic messages
that you post, to help keep the newsgroups focused on user support.
Thanks.

If you do want to post an off-topic message, there a few things you can
do:
* You can reply to the poster via private email
* You can suggest taking the discussion to a place where the discussion
would not be off-topic.
* You can force replies to be sent to the mozilla.general, where
off-topic discussion is allowed. To do that, just set the Followup-To
header on your post. [Demonstration video:
<http://ilias.ca/flashback/tb2-followup.html>]

If you're wondering which posts we considered off-topic, they are:

http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cO9Cdndfqnp%2dhzK7XnZ2dnUVZ%5fuudnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cVIadnT87gJ3HGK3XnZ2dnUVZ%5frSdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3c5uadnRBeDvrLw6zXnZ2dnUVZ%5fuGdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cttOdndxOz8NefazXnZ2dnUVZ%5foadnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cUMednV3a%5fI6Tg6%5fXnZ2dnUVZ%5fhadnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3c5%2d%2ddnfxmDrWSMa%5fXnZ2dnUVZ%5fgidnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cTY2dnRbodcLcMq%5fXnZ2dnUVZ%5fuSdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3ckd2dnQ%5fdmIacVK%5fXnZ2dnUVZ%5fhadnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3c46WdnScT4vWbhK7XnZ2dnUVZ%5fqSdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cUoudnW4tS9YptK7XnZ2dnUVZ%5ft%2ddnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3chPydnV0rr4y%2dsa7XnZ2dnUVZ%5fjydnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3c492dnW%5fAoruGsK7XnZ2dnUVZ%5fg%2ddnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cerGdnYWGqbx%2dsq7XnZ2dnUVZ%5fvednZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3c1uWdnV%5fE7P88ra7XnZ2dnUVZ%5fhidnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cjd%2ddnfFj1fI02q7XnZ2dnUVZ%5foidnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cAcqdnauGNZCMwq7XnZ2dnUVZ%5fqudnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cEemdnZ69I4xR%2d67XnZ2dnUVZ%5ftmdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3ct9OdnZ%2dW%5fLUP8K7XnZ2dnUVZ%5foGdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cO92dnSTJAq0blqnXnZ2dnUVZ%5foGdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3ciOqdnSleerdkkanXnZ2dnUVZ%5ftidnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cuMadnZ4jjZJIkKnXnZ2dnUVZ%5fq%2ddnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e

It's great that you're enjoying the Mozilla community, and we really
appreciate your contributions user support.

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation warning

Jay Garcia
On 23.06.2009 13:42, Nir wrote:

> [...]
>
> http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cAcqdnauGNZCMwq7XnZ2dnUVZ%5fqudnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
>
> http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cEemdnZ69I4xR%2d67XnZ2dnUVZ%5ftmdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
>
> http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3ct9OdnZ%2dW%5fLUP8K7XnZ2dnUVZ%5foGdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
>
> http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cO92dnSTJAq0blqnXnZ2dnUVZ%5foGdnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
>
> http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3ciOqdnSleerdkkanXnZ2dnUVZ%5ftidnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
>
> http://howardk.freenix.org/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3cuMadnZ4jjZJIkKnXnZ2dnUVZ%5fq%2ddnZ2d%40mozilla.org%3e
>

> It's great that you're enjoying the Mozilla community, and we really
> appreciate your contributions user support.

Very unprofessional to post this in public for all to see. If the
offending party wishes it to be publicized then he/she should be the
only one with that option. Mistake or not, the damage is done.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation warning

Chris Ilias-2
On 23/06/09 3:28 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> Very unprofessional to post this in public for all to see. If the
> offending party wishes it to be publicized then he/she should be the
> only one with that option. Mistake or not, the damage is done.

If the offending party wishes it to be private, the offending party
should provide an email address that doesn't bounce.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation warning

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 23/06/09 3:28 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> Very unprofessional to post this in public for all to see. If the
>> offending party wishes it to be publicized then he/she should be the
>> only one with that option. Mistake or not, the damage is done.
>
> If the offending party wishes it to be private, the offending party
> should provide an email address that doesn't bounce.

Was there any attempt to arrange a private conversation before going public?

--
-Rinaldi-
The cow is nothing but a machine which makes grass fit for us people to

On 23/06/09 4:12 PM, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> On 23/06/09 3:28 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> Very unprofessional to post this in public for all to see. If the
>>> offending party wishes it to be publicized then he/she should be the
>>> only one with that option. Mistake or not, the damage is done.
>>
>> If the offending party wishes it to be private, the offending party
>> should provide an email address that doesn't bounce.
>
> Was there any attempt to arrange a private conversation before going public?

Of course.
<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/msg/be09d0acd592f703>

And thank you for asking, instead of jumping to conclusions and making
judgments first.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation warning

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Chris Ilias <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/06/09 4:12 PM, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> > Was there any attempt to arrange a private conversation before
> > going public?
>
> Of course.
> <http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/msg/be09d0acd592f703>
>
> And thank you for asking, instead of jumping to conclusions and
> making judgments first.

I also note that the request for working contact info was made only
after several e-mails had bounced.

WRT OT messages, the policy calls for notification in the group if we
can't do it by e-mail.
<http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /
                                       against html e-mail        X
                                     <http://asciiribbon.org/>   / \

On 23.06.2009 15:21, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 23/06/09 4:12 PM, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>>
>>> If the offending party wishes it to be private, the offending party
>>> should provide an email address that doesn't bounce.
>>
>> Was there any attempt to arrange a private conversation before going
>> public?
>
> Of course.
> <http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/msg/be09d0acd592f703>
>

> And thank you for asking, instead of jumping to conclusions and making
> judgments first.

BS, that doesn't fly at all. So the request was made, what's the time
limit for a reply? Why didn't Nir post that at the beginning of the
warning made public? Otherwise, without any further ado, it is still
most unprofessional to post it in public. But I do stand corrected that
an attempt wasn't made to get his attention. Where in the guidelines is
this mentioned?

My original observation stands, a breach of privacy occured, there is no
jumping to that conclusion.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation warning

Jay Garcia
On 23.06.2009 15:21, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 23/06/09 4:12 PM, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>>
>>> If the offending party wishes it to be private, the offending party
>>> should provide an email address that doesn't bounce.
>>
>> Was there any attempt to arrange a private conversation before going
>> public?
>
> Of course.
> <http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/msg/be09d0acd592f703>
>

> And thank you for asking, instead of jumping to conclusions and making
> judgments first.

Yes, I just saw it in the guidelines, so I stand corrected on that issue
and apologize. I disagree most vehemently with that, where do I file a
bug? However, I stand by the original observation that although it is
included in the guidelines it is unprofessional to post a warning of
that nature in the public view. The guidelines need to be
changed/edited, more like:

If we cannot contact you via email then we will publish a notice in the
groups advising you that we have an important issue to discuss.

In the groups:

<poster>, we have an important issue to discuss with you but your email
address is not valid, please email <email address> so that we may
discuss this issue in private.