Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

WaltS48-8
It appears things are looking good.

> In less than a month, Firefox Quantum has already been installed by over 170M people around the world. We’re just getting started and early returns are super encouraging.

<https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/12/12/early-returns-on-firefox-quantum-point-to-growth/>

More users coming from Chrome. Mobile is growing and more.

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Jeff Layman
On 12/12/17 16:17, WaltS48 wrote:
> It appears things are looking good.
>
>> In less than a month, Firefox Quantum has already been installed by over 170M people around the world. We’re just getting started and early returns are super encouraging.
>
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/12/12/early-returns-on-firefox-quantum-point-to-growth/>
>
> More users coming from Chrome. Mobile is growing and more.

Looks to me as though you're morphing into 'Good Guy'. ;-)

--

Jeff

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

PietB-2
WaltS48 wrote:
> It appears things are looking good.
>
>> In less than a month, Firefox Quantum has already been installed
>> by over 170M people around the world.

Instead of "has been installed by" I'd rather speak of "has been
enforced on", as I presume it's not the user, but the auto-update
that has executed all those "installations". Which is exactly the
reason why so many people are annoyed by all the FF changes that
have been *enforced* upon them. Experts often are able to take
countermeasures (e.g. CTR), most users aren't.

-p

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Lucifer Morningstar
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:01:08 +0100, PietB
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

>WaltS48 wrote:
>> It appears things are looking good.
>>
>>> In less than a month, Firefox Quantum has already been installed
>>> by over 170M people around the world.
>
>Instead of "has been installed by" I'd rather speak of "has been
>enforced on", as I presume it's not the user, but the auto-update
>that has executed all those "installations". Which is exactly the
>reason why so many people are annoyed by all the FF changes that
>have been *enforced* upon them. Experts often are able to take
>countermeasures (e.g. CTR), most users aren't.

I have had to reinstall 56 and set it to never update.

>-p

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Terry
On 12/12/2017 8:17 AM On a whim, WaltS48 pounded out on the keyboard

> It appears things are looking good.
>
>> In less than a month, Firefox Quantum has already been installed by over 170M people around the world. We’re just getting started and early returns are super encouraging.
>
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/12/12/early-returns-on-firefox-quantum-point-to-growth/>
>
> More users coming from Chrome. Mobile is growing and more.

Yes, by "auto-update", meaning those computers already had FF installed...

Care to hear the "other" side of Mozilla's fake news?
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3243010/web-browsers/mozillas-claims-of-firefox-quantum-success-arent-confirmed-by-user-stats.html

I've been inundated by users who continue to write in to the Mozilla
webmaster email. They're making a last ditch effort to contact someone
because they've had it.

Terry

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Terry
On 12/13/2017 12:01 PM On a whim, PietB pounded out on the keyboard

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> It appears things are looking good.
>>
>>> In less than a month, Firefox Quantum has already been installed
>>> by over 170M people around the world.
>
> Instead of "has been installed by" I'd rather speak of "has been
> enforced on", as I presume it's not the user, but the auto-update
> that has executed all those "installations". Which is exactly the
> reason why so many people are annoyed by all the FF changes that
> have been *enforced* upon them. Experts often are able to take
> countermeasures (e.g. CTR), most users aren't.
>
> -p

You nailed it!

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Terry
On 12/13/2017 1:55 PM On a whim, Lucifer Morningstar pounded out on the
keyboard

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:01:08 +0100, PietB
> <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid>  wrote:
>
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> It appears things are looking good.

>> Instead of "has been installed by" I'd rather speak of "has been
>> enforced on", as I presume it's not the user, but the auto-update
>> that has executed all those "installations". Which is exactly the
>> reason why so many people are annoyed by all the FF changes that
>> have been *enforced* upon them. Experts often are able to take
>> countermeasures (e.g. CTR), most users aren't.
>
> I have had to reinstall 56 and set it to never update.
>
>> -p

To those writing in to the Mozilla webmaster, I provide a link to 56.0.2
and how to turn off updating, for those frustrated by v57. Most had
sworn off FF altogether, but at least with the older version they're
happy, even if it doesn't get patched.

On 12/15/17 7:32 PM, Terry wrote:

> On 12/12/2017 8:17 AM On a whim, WaltS48 pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> It appears things are looking good.
>>
>>> In less than a month, Firefox Quantum has already been installed by
>>> over 170M people around the world. We’re just getting started and
>>> early returns are super encouraging.
>>
>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/12/12/early-returns-on-firefox-quantum-point-to-growth/>
>>

>> More users coming from Chrome. Mobile is growing and more.
>>

> Yes, by "auto-update", meaning those computers already had FF installed...
>
> Care to hear the "other" side of Mozilla's fake news?
> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3243010/web-browsers/mozillas-claims-of-firefox-quantum-success-arent-confirmed-by-user-stats.html
>

> I've been inundated by users who continue to write in to the Mozilla
> webmaster email. They're making a last ditch effort to contact someone
> because they've had it.
>
> Terry

Sure I'll hear the other sides fake news. Now that all news is fake, we
should stop following news.

Thanks for the read.

I'm sure Firefox is losing some users, gaining some users and so are
Chrome, IE, Opera, SeaMonkey and all the other browsers.

The universe is in constant change.

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Christian Riechers-3
On 12/16/2017 1:36 AM, Terry wrote:
> To those writing in to the Mozilla webmaster, I provide a link to 56.0.2
> and how to turn off updating, for those frustrated by v57. Most had
> sworn off FF altogether, but at least with the older version they're
> happy, even if it doesn't get patched.

That's bad advice. The proper response would be to point those folks to
the support web site, ot the support news group.
Why you're still allowed to do that is a miracle to me. But I guess you
do enjoy your little empire, and no one at Mozilla cares about it.

On 12/16/17 5:28 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:

> On 12/16/2017 1:36 AM, Terry wrote:
>> To those writing in to the Mozilla webmaster, I provide a link to 56.0.2
>> and how to turn off updating, for those frustrated by v57. Most had
>> sworn off FF altogether, but at least with the older version they're
>> happy, even if it doesn't get patched.
>
> That's bad advice. The proper response would be to point those folks to
> the support web site, ot the support news group.
> Why you're still allowed to do that is a miracle to me. But I guess you
> do enjoy your little empire, and no one at Mozilla cares about it.

+1

At least point them to the ESR version which gets security updates.

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Ed Mullen-10
On 12/15/2017 at 7:36 PM, Terry created this epitome of digital genius:

> On 12/13/2017 1:55 PM On a whim, Lucifer Morningstar pounded out on the
> keyboard
>
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:01:08 +0100, PietB
>> <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid>  wrote:

>>> Instead of "has been installed by" I'd rather speak of "has been
>>> enforced on", as I presume it's not the user, but the auto-update
>>> that has executed all those "installations". Which is exactly the
>>> reason why so many people are annoyed by all the FF changes that
>>> have been *enforced* upon them. Experts often are able to take
>>> countermeasures (e.g. CTR), most users aren't.
>>
>> I have had to reinstall 56 and set it to never update.
>>
>>> -p
>
> To those writing in to the Mozilla webmaster, I provide a link to 56.0.2
> and how to turn off updating, for those frustrated by v57. Most had
> sworn off FF altogether, but at least with the older version they're
> happy, even if it doesn't get patched.

What is the Mozilla Webmaster?  Of what site?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Big Al-3
On 12/12/2017 11:17 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> It appears things are looking good.
>
>> In less than a month, Firefox Quantum has already been installed by
>> over 170M people around the world. We’re just getting started and
>> early returns are super encouraging.
>
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/12/12/early-returns-on-firefox-quantum-point-to-growth/>
>

> More users coming from Chrome. Mobile is growing and more.

I moved from Chrome.  I like both but I was eventually able to find and
compile a good userChrome.css that make the appearance okay and I do
like some of the features.  That and I don't use many add-ons so I only
lost one that really wasn't more than a toy, favicon reloader.

I petty but I like the bookmark feature that FF always defaults to
"other bookmarks" and I can quickly bookmark and then come back later
and figure out if I reallly want it or move it to it's proper place.

Al.

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Terry
On 12/15/2017 5:12 PM On a whim, WaltS48 pounded out on the keyboard

> On 12/15/17 7:32 PM, Terry wrote:
>> On 12/12/2017 8:17 AM On a whim, WaltS48 pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> It appears things are looking good.

>>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/12/12/early-returns-on-firefox-quantum-point-to-growth/>
>>>

>>> More users coming from Chrome. Mobile is growing and more.
>>>
>> Yes, by "auto-update", meaning those computers already had FF installed...
>>
>> Care to hear the "other" side of Mozilla's fake news?
>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3243010/web-browsers/mozillas-claims-of-firefox-quantum-success-arent-confirmed-by-user-stats.html
>>

>> I've been inundated by users who continue to write in to the Mozilla
>> webmaster email. They're making a last ditch effort to contact someone
>> because they've had it.
>>
>> Terry
>
> Sure I'll hear the other sides fake news. Now that all news is fake, we
> should stop following news.
>
> Thanks for the read.
>
> I'm sure Firefox is losing some users, gaining some users and so are
> Chrome, IE, Opera, SeaMonkey and all the other browsers.
>
> The universe is in constant change.

Yes, so don't report erroneous "170 million installs", which is a crock.

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Terry
On 12/16/2017 2:28 AM On a whim, Christian Riechers pounded out on the
keyboard

> On 12/16/2017 1:36 AM, Terry wrote:
>> To those writing in to the Mozilla webmaster, I provide a link to 56.0.2
>> and how to turn off updating, for those frustrated by v57. Most had
>> sworn off FF altogether, but at least with the older version they're
>> happy, even if it doesn't get patched.
>
> That's bad advice. The proper response would be to point those folks to
> the support web site, ot the support news group.
> Why you're still allowed to do that is a miracle to me. But I guess you
> do enjoy your little empire, and no one at Mozilla cares about it.

You have an opinion, which everyone has. The support sites are basically
worthless to those writing in. I actually help them believe it or not,
even if Mozilla could care less.  Your criticism of what I do is also
worthless, but you continue to live in your little kingdom of Mozilla
worship here. And no one at Mozilla cares about it.

Millions have left FF because of developers more interested in their
stupid ideas than listening to users. And it shows. With 11% or less of
the browser market, they're barely a blip anymore.

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Terry
On 12/15/2017 5:12 PM On a whim, WaltS48 pounded out on the keyboard

> On 12/15/17 7:32 PM, Terry wrote:
>> On 12/12/2017 8:17 AM On a whim, WaltS48 pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> It appears things are looking good.

>>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/12/12/early-returns-on-firefox-quantum-point-to-growth/>
>>>

>>> More users coming from Chrome. Mobile is growing and more.
>>>
>> Yes, by "auto-update", meaning those computers already had FF installed...
>>
>> Care to hear the "other" side of Mozilla's fake news?
>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3243010/web-browsers/mozillas-claims-of-firefox-quantum-success-arent-confirmed-by-user-stats.html
>>

>> I've been inundated by users who continue to write in to the Mozilla
>> webmaster email. They're making a last ditch effort to contact someone
>> because they've had it.
>>

> Sure I'll hear the other sides fake news. Now that all news is fake, we
> should stop following news.

Back when papers were released once per day, and most morning news
reported the evening prior, and evening news was about half a days
worth, reporters took time to verify sources. Now the media rushes to
beat everyone else and posts to social media and internet blogs without
verification of sources. Sloppy, error prone, hence "fake news".

And no, not all news is fake. But when 4 MSM reports are erroneous in
ONE WEEK, something is clearly wrong. In their hate of anything this
administration is and does, it causes the MSM to wind up looking like
fools when they report it.

> Thanks for the read.
>
> I'm sure Firefox is losing some users, gaining some users and so are
> Chrome, IE, Opera, SeaMonkey and all the other browsers.

FF is bleeding users, now down to ~11% (which out of some 150 billion
Windows machines alone would account for the 170 million installs
Mozilla is claiming, which is all from updating, not new installs).
Chrome is still gaining, IE staying about the same, and all the rest are
irrelevant.

> The universe is in constant change.

And yet some things never change...

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Wolf K.
On 2017-12-16 17:20, Terry wrote:
[...]
> Back when papers were released once per day, and most morning news
> reported the evening prior, and evening news was about half a days
> worth, reporters took time to verify sources. Now the media rushes to
> beat everyone else and posts to social media and internet blogs without
> verification of sources. Sloppy, error prone, hence "fake news".
[...][

I don't blame the media, I blame gullible social media users. They'll
believe and repost anything. If =something is "trending", you could bet
it's trivial or misleading or both. You would win your bet often enough
to make a good living at it. Which is why you won't find anyone taking
your bet.

Hah!

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

On 12/16/17 4:58 PM, Terry wrote:

> On 12/15/2017 5:12 PM On a whim, WaltS48 pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 12/15/17 7:32 PM, Terry wrote:
>>> On 12/12/2017 8:17 AM On a whim, WaltS48 pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Yes, by "auto-update", meaning those computers already had FF
>>> installed...
>>>
>>> Care to hear the "other" side of Mozilla's fake news?
>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3243010/web-browsers/mozillas-claims-of-firefox-quantum-success-arent-confirmed-by-user-stats.html
>>>

>>> I've been inundated by users who continue to write in to the Mozilla
>>> webmaster email. They're making a last ditch effort to contact someone
>>> because they've had it.
>>>
>>> Terry
>>
>> Sure I'll hear the other sides fake news. Now that all news is fake, we
>> should stop following news.
>>
>> Thanks for the read.
>>
>> I'm sure Firefox is losing some users, gaining some users and so are
>> Chrome, IE, Opera, SeaMonkey and all the other browsers.
>>
>> The universe is in constant change.
>>

> Yes, so don't report erroneous "170 million installs", which is a crock.

I didn't report that, just quoted the blog post.

Take it up with your fellow Mozilla co-worker that wrote it.

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Terry
On 12/16/2017 5:01 PM On a whim, WaltS48 pounded out on the keyboard

> On 12/16/17 4:58 PM, Terry wrote:

>>> Sure I'll hear the other sides fake news. Now that all news is fake, we
>>> should stop following news.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the read.
>>>
>>> I'm sure Firefox is losing some users, gaining some users and so are
>>> Chrome, IE, Opera, SeaMonkey and all the other browsers.
>>>
>>> The universe is in constant change.
>>>
>> Yes, so don't report erroneous "170 million installs", which is a crock.
>
> I didn't report that, just quoted the blog post.

So I suggest if you're going to quote anything, use quotes around it, so
readers know you're quoting...

> Take it up with your fellow Mozilla co-worker that wrote it.

Not associated with them.

Re: Early returns on Firefox Quantum 57

Terry
On 12/16/2017 4:15 PM On a whim, Wolf K pounded out on the keyboard

> On 2017-12-16 17:20, Terry wrote:
> [...]
>> Back when papers were released once per day, and most morning news
>> reported the evening prior, and evening news was about half a days
>> worth, reporters took time to verify sources. Now the media rushes to
>> beat everyone else and posts to social media and internet blogs without
>> verification of sources. Sloppy, error prone, hence "fake news".
> [...][
>
> I don't blame the media, I blame gullible social media users. They'll
> believe and repost anything. If =something is "trending", you could bet
> it's trivial or misleading or both. You would win your bet often enough
> to make a good living at it. Which is why you won't find anyone taking
> your bet.

What "bet" are you referring to that you're claiming I made?  You
basically restated what I already said.

The media has to take blame, regardless if you don't blame them. They're
the sloppy ones who aren't verifying sources. When a false claim can
make stocks drop over 350 points in a couple hours, those responsible
should be fired.

> Hah!

Hah!

On 2017-12-17 17:04, Terry wrote:

> On 12/16/2017 4:15 PM On a whim, Wolf K pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 2017-12-16 17:20, Terry wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Back when papers were released once per day, and most morning news
>>> reported the evening prior, and evening news was about half a days
>>> worth, reporters took time to verify sources. Now the media rushes to
>>> beat everyone else and posts to social media and internet blogs without
>>> verification of sources. Sloppy, error prone, hence "fake news".
>> [...][
>>
>> I don't blame the media, I blame gullible social media users. They'll
>> believe and repost anything. If something is "trending", you could bet
>> it's trivial or misleading or both. You would win your bet often enough
>> to make a good living at it. Which is why you won't find anyone taking
>> your bet.
>>

> What "bet" are you referring to that you're claiming I made?  You
> basically restated what I already said.

I'm not claiming you made a bet. I used "you" as the generic pronoun. I
originally wrote "one", but thought that would sound too hoity-toity.
Sorry, I shoulda stooda with my original text.

> The media has to take blame, regardless if you don't blame them. They're
> the sloppy ones who aren't verifying sources.

Oh, they try to verify sources. The media feeds I read on line and on
paper not only quote a tweet, they actually reproduce it, complete with
picture, if any. If that's not verifying a source, I don't know what is.
Of course, what the followers of that source make of the tweets isn't
anything the media can control. That's why I blame gullible users of
social media.

The media I use are also careful to name quoted sources, or indicate
that a source spoke anonymously, etc. They include copious links to
their sources, so one can follow the trail oneself.

I don't know what your media do, but IMO a quoted/reproduced tweet is
pretty good evidence of the tweeter's relation to reality. Named or
otherwise labelled sources are also pretty good evidence, I think.

Fact: One of my Facebook acquaintances frequently posted from blogs etc
that claimed that some crime (for example) wasn't reported by the
"mainstream media" because it would wreck the liberal claims about
reality. In every case, I found a report by one or more "mainstream
media", all of them dated at least one day before the blog. It looks
like the blogger relied on his followers not to make any effort to check
the "mainstream media" for themselves.

If you measure "mainstream" by market share, the Fox News is as
mainstream as they come. I gave up on them when I watched Rush Limbaugh
a few years ago telling flat-out lies about the Canadian healthcare
system (which ain't perfect, and needs some major improvements, but is
still a hell of a lot better, and cheaper, than the mess in the USA).

> When a false claim can
> make stocks drop over 350 points in a couple hours, those responsible
> should be fired.

But why? Spreading rumours about companies is the very essence of the
stock market. It's like horse racing: it depends on tips from Those Who
Know. Some of the more egregious versions of stock-tipping have been
outlawed, and some people have actually gone to jail for engaging in
them, but without tips, where would one be? One wouldn't have any basis
for placing one's bets (and "one" includes you this time, if you trade
stocks). One might as well use a Ouija board.

What's crazy is the superstition that what happens on the stock market
is a good indicator of where "the economy" is headed. Employment figures
(including shifts in employment), infrastructure condition, the cost of
producing raw materials, demographics, etc and so on and so forth, are
much better indicators. And, insofar as I know and understand those
numbers, the future doesn't look good at all.

>> Hah!
>>

> Hah!

:-)

--