ES5 errata submission

Michael Dyck
If I find bugs in the ECMAScript Language spec (bugs that aren't already
reflected in the July 31st Errata doc), what should I do?

Oddly, the spec itself doesn't tell me, nor does ECMA's web page for the
spec, nor its web page for TC39. The only place where I found a
solicitation for feedback is http://www.ecmascript.org/community.php .
It points to the Harmony wiki, but that appears to be readonly for
outsiders. Ditto the Trac db, although there's a button to register; but
it seems kind of inactive (only 7 events in the last year).

So I'm asking here: what's the best means (and form) for giving feedback
on the ES5 spec to TC39?

-Michael

Re: ES5 errata submission

Jeff Walden-6
On 10/27/2010 07:24 PM, Michael Dyck wrote:
> If I find bugs in the ECMAScript Language spec (bugs that aren't already
> reflected in the July 31st Errata doc), what should I do?

Post 'em here, that's what everyone else has done.

Jeff

Re: ES5 errata submission

Mark S. Miller-2
[+es5-discuss]

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Michael Dyck <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I find bugs in the ECMAScript Language spec (bugs that aren't already
reflected in the July 31st Errata doc), what should I do?

Oddly, the spec itself doesn't tell me, nor does ECMA's web page for the
spec, nor its web page for TC39. The only place where I found a
solicitation for feedback is http://www.ecmascript.org/community.php .
It points to the Harmony wiki, but that appears to be readonly for
outsiders. Ditto the Trac db, although there's a button to register; but
it seems kind of inactive (only 7 events in the last year).

So I'm asking here: what's the best means (and form) for giving feedback
on the ES5 spec to TC39?

This lack of explanation is a serious problem. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The best place to post is to [hidden email] so suggested errata can easily be found.
Often such messages are addressed to es-discuss as well, especially if the issue is likely to be of general interest.

-Michael

    Cheers,
    --MarkM

Re: ES5 errata submission

Mark S. Miller-2

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Michael Dyck <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I find bugs in the ECMAScript Language spec (bugs that aren't already
reflected in the July 31st Errata doc), what should I do?

Oddly, the spec itself doesn't tell me, nor does ECMA's web page for the
spec, nor its web page for TC39. The only place where I found a
solicitation for feedback is http://www.ecmascript.org/community.php .
It points to the Harmony wiki, but that appears to be readonly for
outsiders.

I've added a link at the obvious place on the EcmaScript wiki to the es5-discuss list.

Ditto the Trac db, although there's a button to register; but
it seems kind of inactive (only 7 events in the last year).

So I'm asking here: what's the best means (and form) for giving feedback
on the ES5 spec to TC39?

-Michael

    Cheers,
    --MarkM

RE: ES5 errata submission

Allen Wirfs-Brock-2

Actually, es5-discuss@mozilla is the preferred place to post such issues.  They have more chance of being lost if you post them here.

Allen

Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Michael Dyck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     So I'm asking here: what's the best means (and form) for giving feedback
>     on the ES5 spec to TC39?
>

> This lack of explanation is a serious problem. Thanks for bringing it to
> our attention.
>
> The best place to post is to [hidden email] so suggested errata
> can easily be found. [...]

Thanks, I'll post there.

> I've added a link at the obvious place on the EcmaScript wiki to the
> es5-discuss list.

Thanks again. It might be a good idea to add it to
     http://www.ecmascript.org/community.php
as well (and say that it's the best avenue).

-Michael

Re: ES5 errata submission

Dave Herman
>> I've added a link at the obvious place on the EcmaScript wiki to the
>> es5-discuss list.
>
> Thanks again. It might be a good idea to add it to
>    http://www.ecmascript.org/community.php
> as well (and say that it's the best avenue).

Good call. I've updated community.php to link to es5-discuss and mention that it's the place to discuss errata.

Thanks,
Dave