Downloading source

Rich Emberson
I was visiting http://www.ecmascript.org and
decided that I'd like to run the early access
RefImpl on my 64bit linux box. So, I tried to
download the source from
http://www.ecmascript.org/download.php
es4-pre-release.M2.source.tar.gz

No, luck. I get to the license page, click agree
and the continue button but nothing happens and
the site times out.
I can download the pre-build files just not the
source file.

Thanks

Richard

Re: Downloading source

Dave Herman-2
Hi Rich,

I'm not able to reproduce the problem. Are you still having trouble
downloading the source file? I'm able to download it fine on my computer.

BTW, I should note that these files are very outdated-- they are from
work on Edition 4, which has been superseded by work on Edition 5 and
Harmony.

I've updated the ecmascript.org web site so it reflects some of the more
recent work on Edition 5 and Harmony, and noted that the reference
implementation work is no longer current. My apologies for not updating
the web site sooner.

Regards,
Dave

Rich Emberson wrote:

> I was visiting http://www.ecmascript.org and
> decided that I'd like to run the early access
> RefImpl on my 64bit linux box. So, I tried to
> download the source from
> http://www.ecmascript.org/download.php
> es4-pre-release.M2.source.tar.gz
>
> No, luck. I get to the license page, click agree
> and the continue button but nothing happens and
> the site times out.
> I can download the pre-build files just not the
> source file.
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard

Re: Downloading source

Rich Emberson
Based upon your email, I tried to download the source again.
The very first time I had tried to download the source,
about a week ago, I could get 77% of the file and then
the downloading hung and subsequent attempts would not
download anything. Well, same thing just happened.
I got 77% and the downloading then just stopped. Now,
if I try I can not get any of the source to come down.
(My ISP does not limit the of downloads).

My real issue is more meta. I've got a javascript
constraint engine which seems to work with SpiderMonkey
1.8. What I'd like to do is create a version of the
constraint engine code that uses some of the new
javascript features such as "class". Thats why I was
interested in getting the es4 source so I could
compile it on my 64 box and test my port.
Are there any javascript implementations out there,
even if they are pre-release, that I could get
that have the new features?

Thanks.

Richard

Rich Emberson wrote:
I was visiting http://www.ecmascript.org and
decided that I'd like to run the early access
RefImpl on my 64bit linux box. So, I tried to
download the source from
http://www.ecmascript.org/download.php
es4-pre-release.M2.source.tar.gz

No, luck. I get to the license page, click agree
and the continue button but nothing happens and
the site times out.
I can download the pre-build files just not the
source file.

Thanks

Richard

Re: Downloading source

Graydon Hoare-3
On 16/04/09 12:59 PM, Rich Emberson wrote:

> My real issue is more meta. I've got a javascript
> constraint engine which seems to work with SpiderMonkey
> 1.8. What I'd like to do is create a version of the
> constraint engine code that uses some of the new
> javascript features such as "class". Thats why I was
> interested in getting the es4 source so I could
> compile it on my 64 box and test my port.
> Are there any javascript implementations out there,
> even if they are pre-release, that I could get
> that have the new features?

Unfortunately this is really not the program you want. The RI you're
trying to download was an experimental interpreter for spec purposes,
following a language design that is no longer on the table; it would not
have performed adequately, even if it was implementing a language likely
to be approved.

As it stands, the language it interprets is *not* the language approved
as ES5 (not even close) and it's not clear that the committee is likely
to follow along much of the work that was done on that RI.

In other words, it's more of a historical artifact at this point than a
representative of current committee effort or consensus. It's not worth
using in the way you describe.

Sorry,

-Graydon

Re: Downloading source

Dave Herman-2
> I got 77% and the downloading then just stopped. Now,
> if I try I can not get any of the source to come down.
> (My ISP does not limit the of downloads).

I don't see anything in the server logs, so I'm not sure what to tell
you. You could try to download it from another computer. I'd be willing
to put the file up on another temporary server for you, but I suspect
this isn't actually going to help you, because...

> My real issue is more meta. I've got a javascript
> constraint engine which seems to work with SpiderMonkey
> 1.8. What I'd like to do is create a version of the
> constraint engine code that uses some of the new
> javascript features such as "class".

ES4 has been superseded by the work on ES5 and ES6 ("Harmony"). Classes
are still being discussed as part of the design for Harmony, but they
will most likely be significantly different from the classes of the
proposed ES4. I wouldn't recommend starting a new project based on the
proposed features of ES4.

Dave