Downloading holidays

Jim Scott
Can anyone explain why I had to go to IE to download a holiday file Firefox
just opened the file instead of downloading?
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/holidays.html
--
Jim
         Tyneside UK

Re: Downloading holidays

Ilja Sekler
Jim Scott wrote:
> Can anyone explain why I had to go to IE to download a holiday file

Because you don't know what a right click is.

> Firefox just opened the file instead of downloading?
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/holidays.html

*.ics files are plain text, Firefox can display text files itself. Right
click -> Save Link As...

--
Ilja

Re: Downloading holidays

Jim Scott
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 21:02:49 +0100, Ilja Sekler wrote:

> Jim Scott wrote:
>> Can anyone explain why I had to go to IE to download a holiday file
>
> Because you don't know what a right click is.
>
>> Firefox just opened the file instead of downloading?
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/holidays.html
>
> *.ics files are plain text, Firefox can display text files itself. Right
> click -> Save Link As...

Of course I do you rude person, but whether I did or not you could have
told me the last bit without the first bit.
The point I was making is why make an task more complex than it need be.
--
Jim
         Tyneside UK

Re: Downloading holidays

Rod Whiteley
Jim Scott wrote:
> ...Ilja Sekler wrote:
>>...you don't know what a right click is...
> Of course I do...

So why pretend that you "had to go to IE"?

> ...why make an task more complex than it need be.

It's exactly the same as downloading any other file that the browser
would otherwise open.

Alternatively, once the file was open you could have chosen File - Save
Page As... to save it.

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: Downloading holidays

Petit
Well Jim, he *was* a bit rude, and he shouldn't ;-)
On second thought though, just a little bit of rudeness could be refreshing.
I mean *if* you new the right click, oh well...

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 01:51:01 +0100, Bertil Gralvik wrote:

> Well Jim, he *was* a bit rude, and he shouldn't ;-)
> On second thought though, just a little bit of rudeness could be refreshing.
> I mean *if* you new the right click, oh well...

Oh I knew, but forgot for that moment.
The point I was trying to make was that download should mean just that, not
'you may download, but only if you remember the secret hand-shake'.
--
Jim
         Tyneside UK