Download Manager Problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Download Manager Problem

clippertyclop
sing Mozilla 7.1.12

I've noticed when downloading large files with insufficient time allowed
for me to download them, I sometimes lose the line, and when I later
retry the download, download manager will not pick up from the point it
left off. Instead, I have to download the whole file again. When I am
cut off, download manager automatically closes. I am sure this problem
did not happen in the past.

Is there any way I can make download manager continue to download a
large file from the point it has already downloaded part of that file?
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download Manager Problem

Mumia W..-3
On 12/10/2006 02:57 PM, clippertyclop wrote:

> sing Mozilla 7.1.12
>
> I've noticed when downloading large files with insufficient time allowed
> for me to download them, I sometimes lose the line, and when I later
> retry the download, download manager will not pick up from the point it
> left off. Instead, I have to download the whole file again. When I am
> cut off, download manager automatically closes. I am sure this problem
> did not happen in the past.
>
> Is there any way I can make download manager continue to download a
> large file from the point it has already downloaded part of that file?

You would use an external download manager to do this. I use GNU Wget
and CURL because they come free with Linux and are installed by default.

On Windows, you also have available many download managers. The
extension Flashgot, which you can get at https://addons.mozilla.org/ ,
can make using external download managers easier.


--
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download Manager Problem

Snagglepuss
In reply to this post by clippertyclop
clippertyclop wrote:
> sing Mozilla 7.1.12
>

nit-picking here but there's no such program as Moz 7.1.12

> I've noticed when downloading large files with insufficient time allowed
> for me to download them, I sometimes lose the line, and when I later
> retry the download, download manager will not pick up from the point it
> left off. Instead, I have to download the whole file again. When I am
> cut off, download manager automatically closes. I am sure this problem
> did not happen in the past.
>
> Is there any way I can make download manager continue to download a
> large file from the point it has already downloaded part of that file?

yeah, the Moz download manager sucks in this department.  You might want
to look into get a better downloader manager, and you can find some good
ones here: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows4.html

--
"Oh!  Heavens to Murgatroid.  Exit . . . Stage Left!" -- Snagglepuss

Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup only.  Thanks
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download Manager Problem

clippertyclop
Heavens to Murgatroid wrote:

> clippertyclop wrote:
>
>> sing Mozilla 7.1.12
>>
>
> nit-picking here but there's no such program as Moz 7.1.12
>
It is nit-picking as I meant 1.7.12.

> yeah, the Moz download manager sucks in this department.  You might want
> to look into get a better downloader manager, and you can find some good
> ones here: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows4.html

Thanks for this, but which one would you recommend is best for my
version of Mozilla for download resumation of a file after being cut
offline?

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download Manager Problem

Snagglepuss
clippertyclop wrote:

> Heavens to Murgatroid wrote:
>
>> clippertyclop wrote:
>>
>>> sing Mozilla 7.1.12
>>>
>>
>> nit-picking here but there's no such program as Moz 7.1.12
>>
> It is nit-picking as I meant 1.7.12.
>
>> yeah, the Moz download manager sucks in this department.  You might
>> want to look into get a better downloader manager, and you can find
>> some good ones here: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows4.html
>
> Thanks for this, but which one would you recommend is best for my
> version of Mozilla for download resumation of a file after being cut
> offline?
>
I've tried most of them.  Some are better than others.  And others,
well, you have to fight with it to download.  With some, you just click
on the download link, and the DM works automatically.  With others, you
have to right click and save link to your hard drive, and then the DM
works. You just have to find the one that works for you.  I liked
FlashGet, FreshDownload, GetRight, Star Downloader [highly rated good],
but the one I liked the most was Download Wonder: http://www.forty.com/.
  If you search hard enough, I'm sure you can find the free version out
there somewhere.

--
"Oh!  Heavens to Murgatroid.  Exit . . . Stage Left!" -- Snagglepuss

Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup only.  Thanks
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general