Doubts about trademarks and searchplugins for es-ES Fx 2.0 and Tb 2.0

Doubts about trademarks and searchplugins for es-ES Fx 2.0 and Tb 2.0

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Hi,

Not that I was willing to do it, but it seems that, at least for the
next two weeks, I'm going to be in charge of Fx 2.0 l10n (this was the
only remaining Mozilla product I wasn't in charge of).

As I didn't expect to care about searchplugins new format and the
Firefox L10n requirements, I'm a bit lost, and that's not a good thing
when our language is designated as a Tier 1. :-(

In a first review, almost all entities and stringbundles with URLs in
es-ES are the same than en-US ones, except a minimum number that are
currently redirected to spanish (usually resumed) versions on
mozilla-europe.org. I've read about prepending ab-CD to original
mozilla.org but, should we wait until either:

 - the original en-US URLs are updated/replaced to also prepend
   "en-US"?
 - the strings are removed to be generated by code as Firefox L10N
   requirements says?

Or neither of that is going to happen and we should just insert our
language code in every .mozilla.org/com URL? BTW, who's going to
localize the web content itself?

Regarding bookmarks, we haven't touched it since Fx 1.5. Does that
mean that we don't need to touch it, or should we file a bug to
request approval after reviewing quicksearches format and requesting
permission to keep or change current RSS sample?

Talking about RSS sample, we already found a problem that maybe other
teams have already suffered: choosing a RSS candidate over the rest of
all raised some complaints from the others; besides, every option we
have got is "labeled" as representing a political trend (even though,
actually, the provided content of all of them is blank and neutral to
me). Is there any chance to get two or more RSS samples included in
bookmarks.html (assuming we can prove the owners consent to be linked,
of course)? I browsed spanish BBC news site, but it seems to be more
oriented to Hispano-America.

Finally, all en-US searchplugins have been migrated from Sherlock
format to OpenSearch, but our dictionary (http://www.rae.es/, the
normative organism to spanish) has no Opensearch support to the best
of my knowledge. Besides switching to another or "forcing" them to
support Opensearch, can we ship that searchplugin in Sherlock format
and use the Fx2 -> Fx3 transition period to convince RAE to add
Opensearch support?

A lot of these things should probably be filed in a bug, but as I
don't know if you, Axel, would want separate bugs, just one, or none,
I've decided to start here and let you direct me. Sorry to annoy you.

TIA

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: Doubts about trademarks and searchplugins for es-ES Fx 2.0 and Tb 2.0

Marek Stępień-3
Ricardo Palomares Martinez napisał(a):
> Finally, all en-US searchplugins have been migrated from Sherlock
> format to OpenSearch, but our dictionary (http://www.rae.es/, the
> normative organism to spanish) has no Opensearch support to the best
> of my knowledge.

The site does not need to support anything more than HTTP. The
OpenSearch/MozSearch format used by Mozilla is just another way to
mark up the same information that the Sherlock plugins contained (i.e.
the URL for the search query, the search engine name, encoding etc.).

Read more here:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Creating_MozSearch_plugins

--
Marek Stępień <[hidden email]>
AviaryPL - polski zespół lokalizacyjny Mozilli

Re: Doubts about trademarks and searchplugins for es-ES Fx 2.0 and Tb 2.0

Axel Hecht
Ricardo Palomares Martinez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not that I was willing to do it, but it seems that, at least for the
> next two weeks, I'm going to be in charge of Fx 2.0 l10n (this was the
> only remaining Mozilla product I wasn't in charge of).
>
> As I didn't expect to care about searchplugins new format and the
> Firefox L10n requirements, I'm a bit lost, and that's not a good thing
> when our language is designated as a Tier 1. :-(
>
> In a first review, almost all entities and stringbundles with URLs in
> es-ES are the same than en-US ones, except a minimum number that are
> currently redirected to spanish (usually resumed) versions on
> mozilla-europe.org. I've read about prepending ab-CD to original
> mozilla.org but, should we wait until either:
>
>  - the original en-US URLs are updated/replaced to also prepend
>    "en-US"?
>  - the strings are removed to be generated by code as Firefox L10N
>    requirements says?
>
> Or neither of that is going to happen and we should just insert our
> language code in every .mozilla.org/com URL? BTW, who's going to
> localize the web content itself?
>
> Regarding bookmarks, we haven't touched it since Fx 1.5. Does that
> mean that we don't need to touch it, or should we file a bug to
> request approval after reviewing quicksearches format and requesting
> permission to keep or change current RSS sample?
>
> Talking about RSS sample, we already found a problem that maybe other
> teams have already suffered: choosing a RSS candidate over the rest of
> all raised some complaints from the others; besides, every option we
> have got is "labeled" as representing a political trend (even though,
> actually, the provided content of all of them is blank and neutral to
> me). Is there any chance to get two or more RSS samples included in
> bookmarks.html (assuming we can prove the owners consent to be linked,
> of course)? I browsed spanish BBC news site, but it seems to be more
> oriented to Hispano-America.
>
> Finally, all en-US searchplugins have been migrated from Sherlock
> format to OpenSearch, but our dictionary (http://www.rae.es/, the
> normative organism to spanish) has no Opensearch support to the best
> of my knowledge. Besides switching to another or "forcing" them to
> support Opensearch, can we ship that searchplugin in Sherlock format
> and use the Fx2 -> Fx3 transition period to convince RAE to add
> Opensearch support?
>
> A lot of these things should probably be filed in a bug, but as I
> don't know if you, Axel, would want separate bugs, just one, or none,
> I've decided to start here and let you direct me. Sorry to annoy you.

These are all questions for Phil. Apart from the search plugin
implementation, which Marek already answered.

Axel

Re: Doubts about trademarks and searchplugins for es-ES Fx 2.0 and Tb 2.0

Phil Schwan-2
Hello Ricardo--

On Jul 30, 2006, at 13:37, Ricardo Palomares Martinez wrote:

> In a first review, almost all entities and stringbundles with URLs in
> es-ES are the same than en-US ones, except a minimum number that are
> currently redirected to spanish (usually resumed) versions on
> mozilla-europe.org. I've read about prepending ab-CD to original
> mozilla.org but, should we wait until either:
>
>  - the original en-US URLs are updated/replaced to also prepend
>    "en-US"?

I'm waiting for the final list of en-US URLs, which I expect to have
very soon, and then I will update them all to the new format and post
the list.

Before the localization files use the new URLs (or at least before
you check them in), I want to make sure that we have redirects in
place on the web server, so that they point to the existing content.
I'll post an email when that's ready.

>  - the strings are removed to be generated by code as Firefox L10N
>    requirements says?

As much as I would like this, I don't think the code is going to get
updated in time.

> BTW, who's going to localize the web content itself?

We're working with the mozilla-europe team to get similar
infrastructure deployed on mozilla.com, and content that is already
localized can be transferred from its current home.  Pages that
aren't localized can redirect to the same language in a different
locale, or to en-US, or to a localized "Sorry!  We don't have this in
your language." page.

It's up to the localization teams to decide whether or not to
localize the web content.  I hope so, but I can't compel anyone. :)

> Regarding bookmarks, we haven't touched it since Fx 1.5. Does that
> mean that we don't need to touch it, or should we file a bug to
> request approval after reviewing quicksearches format and requesting
> permission to keep or change current RSS sample?

If the bookmarks or searches are localized versions of the en-US
bookmarks or searches, then don't file a bug -- you can just update
the URLs where necessary.  If it's not a localized version of an en-
US bookmark, please do file an approval bug.

For the RSS sample, we're going to provide mozilla.com URLs that
redirect to the localized RSS feeds, as we already do for en-US.

> Talking about RSS sample, we already found a problem that maybe other
> teams have already suffered: choosing a RSS candidate over the rest of
> all raised some complaints from the others; besides, every option we
> have got is "labeled" as representing a political trend (even though,
> actually, the provided content of all of them is blank and neutral to
> me). Is there any chance to get two or more RSS samples included in
> bookmarks.html (assuming we can prove the owners consent to be linked,
> of course)? I browsed spanish BBC news site, but it seems to be more
> oriented to Hispano-America.

The real goal of the RSS feed is to show users an example of a
feature they might not otherwise know about.  BBC was chosen as a
default simply because it's published in so many languages, so it's
easy to localize if the team doesn't choose something different.

But I've been asked to keep the out-of-the-box menus as minimal as
possible.  For the same reason, you're going to see a sharp reduction
in the number of en-US bookmarks.

So by all means choose a more relevant site, and Mic will help you
get permission to link, but we would really like to have just one feed.

Thanks very much for your help!

-Phil

Re: Doubts about trademarks and searchplugins for es-ES Fx 2.0 and Tb 2.0

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Phil Schwan escribió:

First of all, thank you very much for your reply.

>> BTW, who's going to localize the web content itself?
> (...)
> It's up to the localization teams to decide whether or not to localize
> the web content.  I hope so, but I can't compel anyone. :)

Ok, that wasn't intended as an accusatory question, :-) it's just that
I'd like to know how much work is left to do yet.

> But I've been asked to keep the out-of-the-box menus as minimal as
> possible.  For the same reason, you're going to see a sharp reduction in
> the number of en-US bookmarks.
>
> So by all means choose a more relevant site, and Mic will help you get
> permission to link, but we would really like to have just one feed.

Understood. Thanks again for your answers.

Ricardo.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: Doubts about trademarks and searchplugins for es-ES Fx 2.0 and Tb 2.0

huidaoffice
在 2006年7月31日星期一 UTC+8上午1:37:09,Ricardo Palomares Martinez写道:

> Hi,
>
> Not that I was willing to do it, but it seems that, at least for the
> next two weeks, I'm going to be in charge of Fx 2.0 l10n (this was the
> only remaining Mozilla product I wasn't in charge of).
>
> As I didn't expect to care about searchplugins new format and the
> Firefox L10n requirements, I'm a bit lost, and that's not a good thing
> when our language is designated as a Tier 1. :-(
>
> In a first review, almost all entities and stringbundles with URLs in
> es-ES are the same than en-US ones, except a minimum number that are
> currently redirected to spanish (usually resumed) versions on
> mozilla-europe.org. I've read about prepending ab-CD to original
> mozilla.org but, should we wait until either:
>
>  - the original en-US URLs are updated/replaced to also prepend
>    "en-US"?
>  - the strings are removed to be generated by code as Firefox L10N
>    requirements says?
>
> Or neither of that is going to happen and we should just insert our
> language code in every .mozilla.org/com URL? BTW, who's going to
> localize the web content itself?
>
> Regarding bookmarks, we haven't touched it since Fx 1.5. Does that
> mean that we don't need to touch it, or should we file a bug to
> request approval after reviewing quicksearches format and requesting
> permission to keep or change current RSS sample?
>
> Talking about RSS sample, we already found a problem that maybe other
> teams have already suffered: choosing a RSS candidate over the rest of
> all raised some complaints from the others; besides, every option we
> have got is "labeled" as representing a political trend (even though,
> actually, the provided content of all of them is blank and neutral to
> me). Is there any chance to get two or more RSS samples included in
> bookmarks.html (assuming we can prove the owners consent to be linked,
> of course)? I browsed spanish BBC news site, but it seems to be more
> oriented to Hispano-America.
>
> Finally, all en-US searchplugins have been migrated from Sherlock
> format to OpenSearch, but our dictionary (http://www.rae.es/, the
> normative organism to spanish) has no Opensearch support to the best
> of my knowledge. Besides switching to another or "forcing" them to
> support Opensearch, can we ship that searchplugin in Sherlock format
> and use the Fx2 -> Fx3 transition period to convince RAE to add
> Opensearch support?
>
> A lot of these things should probably be filed in a bug, but as I
> don't know if you, Axel, would want separate bugs, just one, or none,
> I've decided to start here and let you direct me. Sorry to annoy you.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> If it's true that we are here to help others,
> then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

We are the professional Toner Cartridge Factory for more than 10 years for Bizhub C550 Toner
Having regular Clients and good reputation
Product quality is 100% Nice
Feel free to contact us by email or telephone us
So that you can get the pleased offer and product
Email: [hidden email]
Email: [hidden email]
TEL:008613713294118
IMO:+8613713294118