Double Speaking in Firefox with Jaws

mozilla accessibility
http://test.cita.uiuc.edu/aria/nav/nav1.php

If you goto the above URL with the latest 3.1b1pre firefox and goto the
breadcrums, you'll notice that each item in the list is shown twice in the
virtual buffer.  This happens in Jaws9 and jaws10.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I took out the code for the breadcrums, which was simply a list of items,
and put that in a simple test page, but didn't see the duplication.

It does not happen in IE8.

I'll test with other screen readers and post when I have results.

-- Rich

Re: Double Speaking in Firefox with Jaws - found the problem

Rich Caloggero-2
If we apply the following styles to any unordered list in firefox and look
at the page with Jaws, each list item is repeated twice in the virtual
buffer:

.navigation ul, .navigation li  {
 list-style-type: none;
 display: inline;
}

This causes the list items to lose their bullet and be rendered
horizontally, just perfect for menubars, etc.

A very simple example is at:
http://narita.mit.edu/ncam/listStyleTest.html

You can experience this in the wild at:
http://html.cita.uiuc.edu/
** Look for the heading "breadcrums" - just following this is a list of
items which uses these styles.

Also se:
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab/
** Look for the heading "3.2 Items from the Accessible Rich Internet
Applications Vocabulary", and just following that you'll see repeated text
in the definition terms.

So, is this a Firefox issue, or a Jaws issue? Where should I file a bug, if
indeed it is a bug?
Jaws does not do this in IE.
All Jaws versions tested (v8, v9, and v10) have this behavior, both in
Firefox3 and in Firefox2.

-- Rich Caloggero, WGBH NCAM / MIT ATIC

> If you goto the above URL with the latest 3.1b1pre firefox and goto the
> breadcrums, you'll notice that each item in the list is shown twice in the
> virtual buffer.  This happens in Jaws9 and jaws10.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?
>
> I took out the code for the breadcrums, which was simply a list of items,
> and put that in a simple test page, but didn't see the duplication.
>
> It does not happen in IE8.
>

> I'll test with other screen readers and post when I have results.
>
> -- Rich

Re: Double Speaking in Firefox with Jaws - found the problem

Aaron Leventhal-3
Rich, this sounds like a JAWS problem.

I think in list item cases they normally read the first accessible
child, because it's often the bullet. However, in this case there is no
bullet so the first accessible child is the actual text. Hence they read
it twice.

What they need to do is check to make sure the first accessible child
has the rule of "bullet".

- Aaron