Quantcast

Does Thunderbird connect to mail servers with IDN in host names?

Does Thunderbird connect to mail servers with IDN in host names?

Mark Banner-2
I'm looking for a bit of feedback, and maybe some help. I'm not quite
sure where international support in Thunderbird is at the moment.

For general message composition, reading etc I believe it is reasonable.

Last year I finished the patches that mean that Thunderbird 3 will
support links with IDNs in emails, so that they can be opened in Firefox
just by clicking on them.

I'm interested in helping our support for connecting to servers and
email addressing to move towards better international support. For
instance, I know we don't support IDN in email addresses at the moment -
the specifications for that are only just starting to be published in
draft form.

I am not promising we'll get any more fixes into Thunderbird 3 - we've
already got a lot of work on. However, if someone does want to work on
patches and fixing up Thunderbird, I'd be happy to help direct, review etc.

There's a couple of things I'd initially like to know from people who
have the facilities to test:

1) Does Thunderbird connect to mail servers with IDN in the host names?
i.e. without using the punycode version.

2) Do servers support non-ascii usernames? If so, does Thunderbird
support non-ascii usernames as well?

Thanks
Standard8