Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Gervase Markham
There are some bits of Bugzilla which are not well documented at the
moment, because I (and often other Bugzilla devs) do not have much
experience with them. In particular, this includes:

* Installing on Windows
* Installing on Mac OS
* Oracle
* email_in.pl (incoming email gateway)
* LDAP authentication
* RADIUS authentication
* Groups

If you know something, anything at all, about those bits of Bugzilla,
please drop me an email. You won't necessarily have to write the
documentation yourself - merely having experience would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Gerv
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Frédéric Buclin
Le 22. 12. 14 18:41, Gervase Markham a écrit :
> because I (and often other Bugzilla devs) do not have much
> experience with them. In particular, this includes:

> * Groups

Haha, it would be dramatic if Bugzilla devs didn't have much experience
or knowledge with groups. All the Bugzilla security relies on groups. :)

LpSolit

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Jochen Wiedmann
Hi, Gervase,

I pride myself to have some experience with installation on Windows.

Jochen

--
Our time is just a point along a line that runs forever with no end.
(Al Stewart, Lord Grenville)

On 22/12/14 17:50, Frédéric Buclin wrote:
>> * Groups
>
> Haha, it would be dramatic if Bugzilla devs didn't have much experience
> or knowledge with groups. All the Bugzilla security relies on groups. :)

Well, it's by far the most common topic for questions, and our
documentation is sparse and confusing. And I don't feel I understand
groups well enough to rewrite it. If you do (and I think you do!) then
that would be an awesome Christmas contribution. :-)

Gerv
-

On 22/12/14 18:53, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> I pride myself to have some experience with installation on Windows.

Wonderful :-) Might you be able to check over our Windows installation
documentation here:
http://bugzilla.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installing/windows.html
and give us your feedback? (Also the sub-pages about IIS and about
Apache on Windows.) You are welcome to submit patches, or file bugs, or
email me with suggestions, whatever's easiest for you.

I would like to have enough confidence in these Windows docs to take the
disclaimer off the top.

Gerv
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Documentation help wanted for specific topics

mhoye
On 2014-12-22 12:41 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:

> There are some bits of Bugzilla which are not well documented at the
> moment, because I (and often other Bugzilla devs) do not have much
> experience with them. In particular, this includes:
>
> * Installing on Windows
> * Installing on Mac OS
> * Oracle
> * email_in.pl (incoming email gateway)
> * LDAP authentication
> * RADIUS authentication
> * Groups
>
> If you know something, anything at all, about those bits of Bugzilla,
> please drop me an email.

Do we have a page enumerating these shortcomings - a bug or not, could
be anything - that I can point potential contributors at?

- mhoye
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Marshall SwEng
Hey Mike,

The "page enumerating these shortcomings" IMHO, would be found at:  https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?product=Bugzilla&component=Documentation&resolution=---
I say this by following this trail starting at http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/
1.  "Interested in helping to improve Bugzilla's documentation? See our Bugzilla Documentor's Guide."
2.  "Finding where we need help"
3.  "Lists of documentation bugs:
Gervase,
I have experience installing and configuring Bugzilla 4.4 on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 using IIS 7.5.7600.  We use LDAP, so I _may_ be able to provide some feedback there as well.  E.g. bug 922845.

I usually keep very good notes during _all_ installations.  But, it's been a while.  So our current settings have probably drifted from my initial notes.

That being said, my manager recently gave me permission to contribute to open source projects.  Time permitting of course.  I'm new to this list, but I feel I can add some documentation.  At the very least I can give feedback on my personal experiences.

--
Marshall

<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=Marshall.SwEng+Mozilla@...>

Re: Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Jochen Wiedmann

for your info: I had to install Bugzilla on Windows these days and am
running into problems as soon as testing the installed Bugzilla. (More
precisely, I get an HTTP error code 403.)

Some digging in the web suggests that my fault could be to use Apache
2.4, rather than 2.2 (the authorization stuff has changed quite a bit,
although I have mod_access_compat loaded).

Is anyone out there who might be able to help with that?

Thanks,

Jochen

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Gervase Markham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/12/14 18:53, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>> I pride myself to have some experience with installation on Windows.
>
> Wonderful :-) Might you be able to check over our Windows installation
> documentation here:
> http://bugzilla.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installing/windows.html
> and give us your feedback? (Also the sub-pages about IIS and about
> Apache on Windows.) You are welcome to submit patches, or file bugs, or
> email me with suggestions, whatever's easiest for you.
>
> I would like to have enough confidence in these Windows docs to take the
> disclaimer off the top.
>
> Gerv
> -
> To view or change your list settings, click here:
> <http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=jochen.wiedmann@...>

--
Our time is just a point along a line that runs forever with no end.
(Al Stewart, Lord Grenville)
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Jochen Wiedmann
Okay, succeeded by using Apache 2.2.

I suggest to add the following to the Windows installation docs.

1.) Do *not* use Apache HTTPD 2.4. Use 2.2 instead. (This might apply
to all platforms, btw.)
2.) Do *not* use Strawberry Perl, unless you really know what you are doing.
     Despite a lot of efforts by the Strawberry Maintainers, there are still
     glitches when installing modules, in particular for DBD::mysql. (For
     example, mysqladmin.exe *must* be in the path.
3.) The updated list of modules to install via PPM:

  ppm install AppConfig TimeDate DateTime DateTime-TimeZone DBI
DBD-mysql Template-Toolkit
  ppm install MailTools GD Chart GDGraph Net-LDAP-Express Email-Reply
Email-Send Math-Random-ISAAC
  ppm install Template-GD MIME-tools XML-Twig PatchReader
  ppm install Authen-SASL Net-SMTP-SSL Authen-Radius JSON-RPC JSON-XS Test-Taint
  ppm install HTML-Scrubber Encode-Detect HTML-FormatText-WithLinks
  ppm install File-Slurp IO-stringy

    Note, that ppm is happily installing multiple modules in one execution.

Jochen

--
Our time is just a point along a line that runs forever with no end.
(Al Stewart, Lord Grenville)
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Michiel Beijen
Hi Jochen,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Jochen Wiedmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, succeeded by using Apache 2.2.
>
> I suggest to add the following to the Windows installation docs.
>
> 1.) Do *not* use Apache HTTPD 2.4. Use 2.2 instead. (This might apply
> to all platforms, btw.)

It might be a good idea if Bugzilla would provide one configuration
file that would be applicable for both 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the
product. OTRS also has this and it works quite nicely:
https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/blob/rel-4_0/scripts/apache2-httpd.include.conf

Of course for now probably using 2.2 would just be simpler. But Linux
distributions like CentOS 7 also have Apache 2.4 so it would be great
if the configuration would support it.

> 2.) Do *not* use Strawberry Perl, unless you really know what you are doing.
>      Despite a lot of efforts by the Strawberry Maintainers, there are still
>      glitches when installing modules, in particular for DBD::mysql. (For
>      example, mysqladmin.exe *must* be in the path.

Why do you install DBD::mysql on Strawberry? Since I guess Strawberry
Perl 5.10 years ago, it's been bundled by default. Strawberry Perl
does not support the binary packages (ppm) that ActiveState perl does.
But apart from that its build environment works well and is similar to
ActiveState. ActiveStates PPM repos are shut down after a while, for
instance if you'd have an ActiveState perl 5.14 installation a while
ago, right now you can not use PPM anymore unless you get a support
contract; or if you uninstall perl and install 5.20 or so.

Apart from that you can simply install stuff by typing 'cpan DateTime
File::Slurp' et cetera, or use cpanm if you want.
--
Mike
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Jochen Wiedmann
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Michiel Beijen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It might be a good idea if Bugzilla would provide one configuration
> file that would be applicable for both 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the
> product. OTRS also has this and it works quite nicely:
> https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/blob/rel-4_0/scripts/apache2-httpd.include.conf

It is not as simple as that. For example, there are also the .htaccess
files, as generated by checksetup.pl.

> Why do you install DBD::mysql on Strawberry? Since I guess Strawberry
> Perl 5.10 years ago, it's been bundled by default.

Have to admit, I missed that. Probably worth another try.

Jochen
-

Le 14. 01. 15 13:31, Jochen Wiedmann a écrit :
> 1.) Do *not* use Apache HTTPD 2.4. Use 2.2 instead. (This might apply
> to all platforms, btw.)

I use Apache HTTPD 2.4 with Bugzilla for a very long time without any
problem.

LpSolit

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: Documentation help wanted for specific topics

Ryan Wilson-9
I have as well. I've had some additional customizations to my installation, but nothing this document couldn't fix.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html

<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=theycallmefish@gmail.com>

On 05/01/15 17:35, Marshall SwEng wrote:
> 1.  "Interested in helping to improve Bugzilla's documentation? See
> our Bugzilla
> Documentor's Guide <http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/documentor.html>."

Wow, that file is really wrong :-(

Do we need a specific Documenter's Guide? If not, we should remove it.
Note that the new reST docs do have a "style.rst":
http://bugzilla.readthedocs.org/en/latest/style.html

> I have experience installing and configuring Bugzilla 4.4 on Windows 2008
> R2 SP1 using IIS 7.5.7600.  We use LDAP, so I _may_ be able to provide some
> feedback there as well.  E.g. bug 922845.

Input on that bug would be great.

I guess what would be most awesome would be for someone to read e.g. the
Windows install docs or the LDAP docs and either say "those are complete
and accurate to the best of my knowledge" or "here is a patch to make
them complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge".

Things short of that, such as specific patches, are good too, but that's
the optimum.

> I usually keep very good notes during _all_ installations.  But, it's been
> a while.  So our current settings have probably drifted from my initial
> notes.

Still, I'm sure this data would be very useful.

> That being said, my manager recently gave me permission to contribute to
> open source projects.  Time permitting of course.  I'm new to this list,
> but I feel I can add some documentation.  At the very least I can give
> feedback on my personal experiences.

Welcome on board! :-)

Gerv

-

On 14/01/15 16:40, Frédéric Buclin wrote:
> I use Apache HTTPD 2.4 with Bugzilla for a very long time without any
> problem.

It may well be that the Linux description of the config works with 2.4,
but the Windows one has not been updated.

Gerv

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=$MSGRCPT>

On 14/01/15 18:17, Ryan Wilson wrote:
> I have as well. I've had some additional customizations to my installation,
> but nothing this document couldn't fix.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html

If the config in the Bugzilla docs doesn't work out of the box, we
should fix the docs. Does it?

Gerv

-

On 14/01/15 12:31, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> 1.) Do *not* use Apache HTTPD 2.4. Use 2.2 instead. (This might apply
> to all platforms, btw.)

I don't think we can recommend that, unless we have very good reasons. I
think the right fix here is to update our Windows docs to include a 2.4
config (or one which works everywhere).

> 3.) The updated list of modules to install via PPM:
>
>   ppm install AppConfig TimeDate DateTime DateTime-TimeZone DBI
> DBD-mysql Template-Toolkit
>   ppm install MailTools GD Chart GDGraph Net-LDAP-Express Email-Reply
> Email-Send Math-Random-ISAAC
>   ppm install Template-GD MIME-tools XML-Twig PatchReader
>   ppm install Authen-SASL Net-SMTP-SSL Authen-Radius JSON-RPC JSON-XS Test-Taint
>   ppm install HTML-Scrubber Encode-Detect HTML-FormatText-WithLinks
>   ppm install File-Slurp IO-stringy

Can you turn this into a bug with a diff? :-)

Gerv

-

Le 21. 01. 15 15:58, Gervase Markham a écrit :
> Wow, that file is really wrong :-(
>
> Do we need a specific Documenter's Guide? If not, we should remove it.

Kill it! If someone was still reading this page, he would have reported
that 2.20 is no longer supported. So just kill it!

-