Display attachments inline isn't working

Display attachments inline isn't working

Jane Doe-2
Mozilla 1.7.11
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.11) Gecko/20050729
MultiZilla/1.6.4.0b

When I receive an e-mail with an image attached, the image is NOT
displaying inline even though I have that option enabled.  I've tried
unchecking and rechecking it, to no avail.  Any ideas?

Re: Display attachments inline isn't working

M Cowperthwaite
Jane Doe wrote:
> Mozilla 1.7.11
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.11) Gecko/20050729
> MultiZilla/1.6.4.0b
>
> When I receive an e-mail with an image attached, the image is NOT
> displaying inline even though I have that option enabled.  I've tried
> unchecking and rechecking it, to no avail.  Any ideas?

Chances are it was sent by a client, such as Outlook Express, that gives
such attachments a MIME type of "application/octet-stream" instead of
"image/jpeg" or whatever is appropriate.  If so, you need to save the
message to a file and open it from there.

--
Michael Cowperthwaite

To send mail, remove 'Z's from the poster's email address.

Re: Display attachments inline isn't working

Jane Doe-2
>>Mozilla 1.7.11
>>Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.11) Gecko/20050729
>>MultiZilla/1.6.4.0b
>>
>>When I receive an e-mail with an image attached, the image is NOT
>>displaying inline even though I have that option enabled.  I've tried
>>unchecking and rechecking it, to no avail.  Any ideas?

> Chances are it was sent by a client, such as Outlook Express, that gives
> such attachments a MIME type of "application/octet-stream" instead of
> "image/jpeg" or whatever is appropriate.  If so, you need to save the
> message to a file and open it from there.

Wow.  Thanks.  That NEVER would've occurred to me because I really don't
know anyone who uses 'doze e-mail clients.  The e-mail that prompted me
to post my question actually came from my daughter, who was brought up
in a VERY anti-M$ household!  She's Mac, I'm Linux.  Anyway, after
reading your post I checked her headers and, to my amazement, found that
she'd sent it [from work] via whatever "Microsoft-Entourage" is.
They've obviously changed something at her office!

Re: Display attachments inline isn't working

keith_w
M Cowperthwaite wrote:

> Jane Doe wrote:
>
>> Mozilla 1.7.11
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.11) Gecko/20050729
>> MultiZilla/1.6.4.0b
>>
>> When I receive an e-mail with an image attached, the image is NOT
>> displaying inline even though I have that option enabled.  I've tried
>> unchecking and rechecking it, to no avail.  Any ideas?

Yes.
Frequently changes to Preferences are not implemented unless and until
you shut down the application and restart it...
Therefore, after you change how attachments should be handled, go to the
menu bar and "Quit Mozilla."
Then after things settle down, restart it.
 From then on you should be receiving images in line...

keith whaley