Discussion

Mozilla - General mailing list
What are expected to discuss on here?

Re: Discussion

On 2020-07-18 18:49, Jmg wrote:
> What are expected to discuss on here?

Virtually anything, but mainly things about
Mozilla offerings.

This group is special in that it is unmoderated and
you can write freely without having to worry about
being censored but bad in that it attracts a lot of
trolls (kill file them)

Re: Discussion

Mozilla - General mailing list
Well, I would really like to discuss writing your own email programs so
you can send email from the console more easily.
I just wrote a script to post on Mastodon with Python. I think Python is
  going to be the language of my choice. The reason
interested in writing one is because for some reason I cannot get
STARTTLS support for the console email clients themselves.

- Jonathan

Re: Discussion

Mayayana
"Jonathan" <[hidden email]> wrote

| Well, I would really like to discuss writing your own email programs so
| you can send email from the console more easily.
| I just wrote a script to post on Mastodon with Python. I think Python is
|  going to be the language of my choice. The reason
| interested in writing one is because for some reason I cannot get
| STARTTLS support for the console email clients themselves.

   I can't begin to imagine why anyone would want a
console email program, but I've written SMTP software
myself, in VB6, using straight Windows sockets to carry
out the server conversation directly. It's not really too
complicated, and I adapted it to allow me to send a
webpage as an email. (Email programs generally make
a mess of HTML and/or only provide a very limited HTML
wrapper.)

  I once decided to look into updating my email program
to use both of the TLS standards (the one that starts off
with encryption and the one that negotiates encryption,
often referred to as STARTTLS and SSL/TLS), but finally
gave up.
  I couldn't find clear docs detailing how to carry out the
server conversation in each instance. There's at least one
OSS library, but typical of OSS, it's lacking docs.
  If you only support one of the standards then you'll be
arbitrarily limited in terms of which ISPs/servers you can
send to.

  It may be that those problems don't apply with Python.
That approach seems to be a very simple script wrapper
around included libraries. Which is not software. It's just
a script. On Windows there's something similar built-in,
so no need for Python. I've forgotten the details. CDO,
or CDOSys, or some such. You can use VBScript or javascript
to automate sending email. And Windows script operations
can be piped to a console window.