Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

pamelafiischer
Anyone know where the Firefox setting is to disable the Adobe Acrobat
PDF plugin?

Like many people, I can't stand waiting a tremendously long time for a
PDF file to come up in the Firefox browser page when I inadvertantly
click on a pdf link (minutes). I'd vastly prefer the dastardly PDF file
to just save on my Windows XP hard drive - or - at the very worst, for
the link to not work at all instead of wasting my time incessantly -
almost always causing me to control-alt-delete the Firefox browser just
to get it to respond again.

The Adobe plugin is so poorly written a plugin that even after waiting
interminably for the dastardly Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin to load, you
have only 1/25th the features you'd have simply by bringing up the file
(in ten times less time) in the Adobe Acrobat editor anyway.

In short, there's nothing good about the Firefox Adobe PDF plugin yet I
can't find where in Firefox I intuitively disable the plugin from
ruining my day every time I inadvertantly click on a PDF link (which is
often, unfortunately for me).

Anyone know how to save time & effort by disabling the Adobe Firefox
plugin?
Pamela Fischer

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

pamelafiischer
[hidden email] wrote:
> Anyone know where the Firefox setting is to disable the
> dastardly God forsaken Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin?

I was remiss in not mentioning versions (it may matter).

- Windows XP SP2
- Firefox 1.5
- Acrobat Standard 6.0

I looked all over the browser for the setting to disable the poorly
written Adobe Acrobat plugin to no avail. I'm beginning to think it's
not there but it must be, from an intuitive standpoint.

But where?

Usability challenged,
Pamela Fischer

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

defaria
[hidden email] wrote:

> Anyone know where the Firefox setting is to disable the Adobe Acrobat
> PDF plugin?

How about going into Options and removing the plugin (Untested).

> Like many people, I can't stand waiting a tremendously long time for a
> PDF file to come up in the Firefox browser page when I inadvertantly
> click on a pdf link (minutes).

I think you've vastly overestimated the "like many people" part! Indeed
I'd guess that the majority rather like it!

> I'd vastly prefer the dastardly PDF file to just save on my Windows XP
> hard drive - or - at the very worst, for
> the link to not work at all instead of wasting my time incessantly -
> almost always causing me to control-alt-delete the Firefox browser
> just to get it to respond again.

Funny, but I've never had to Control-Alt-Delete to get Firefox to
respond. A simple press of "escape" should stop Firefox from continuing
the download or perhaps a click on the Back button or at worse case a
Task Manager delete of the Adobe process would do.

> The Adobe plugin is so poorly written a plugin that even after waiting
> interminably for the dastardly Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin to load, you
> have only 1/25th the features you'd have simply by bringing up the
> file (in ten times less time) in the Adobe Acrobat editor anyway.

Again, I'd say the vast majority of people have decided not to shell out
hundreds of dollars for a the Adobe Acrobat editor and instead just use
the free Adobe Reader...

> In short, there's nothing good about the Firefox Adobe PDF plugin yet
> I can't find where in Firefox I intuitively disable the plugin from
> ruining my day every time I inadvertantly click on a PDF link (which
> is often, unfortunately for me).

Perhaps you should take a little more care with what you click on first!
That's the cheap $0 solution. Meantime I would think you should be able
to disable the Adobe plugin from the Options dialog if you bother to
rummage around a little bit - which obviously you haven't.

> Anyone know how to save time & effort by disabling the Adobe Firefox
> plugin?

Well considering I happen to like the behavior, I'm not about to spend
time trying to disable it. Meantime, Tools: Options: Downloads: Plugins
find PDF files and toggle off the Adobe Plugin might work. Total time
looking for this, ahem, dasturdly thing is about 20 seconds!

Now the only question remains why did you cross post this to a bunch of
groups...
--
That's the beer that made Mel Famie walk us.

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Funny, but I've never had to Control-Alt-Delete to get Firefox to
> respond. A simple press of "escape" should stop Firefox from continuing
> the download or perhaps a click on the Back button or at worse case a
> Task Manager delete of the Adobe process would do.
> Tools: Options: Downloads: Plugins find PDF files and toggle off the
> Adobe Plugin might work.

Hi Andrew,

Neither Escape nor any button on WinXP Firefox 1.5rc3 (beta release
candidate 3,
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.5rc3&os=win&lang=en-US)
actually work when Firefox is hung incessantly by the Adobe Acrobat
Standard 6.0 plugin.

However, you certainly were on to something with the suggested disable
plugins location, although the actual menus are totally different than
you suggested (much less intuitive in reality). For example, there is
absolutely no Firefox menu with the word "plugin" on it anywhere in the
Firefox RC3 browser.

Nonetheless, I think you definately helped us find the potential
location:
Firefox 1.5c: Tools: Options: Downloads: Download Actions: View & Edit
Actions:

This "Download Actions" "View & Edit Actions" location has, by default,
about 50 defined "actions", including five alone for Adobe Acrobat
Standard 6.0:
- PDF - Adobe Acrobat Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
- FDF - Adobe Acrobat Forms Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
- XFDF - Adobe Acrobat Forms Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
- XDP - Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File - Open with Adobe Acrobat
- XFD - Adobe Form Client Data File - Open with Adobe Acrobat

Only once you select one of the actions above and then press the
"Change Action" button below that do you ever get to see the word
"plugin" in the menu structure. It's one of the available options when
downloading files like this:
- Open them with the default application (Adobe Acrobat 6.0)
- Open them with this application (none selected)
- Save them on my computer
- Use this plugin (Adobe Acrobat)

I changed the action for PDF to "Save them on my computer". I wasn't
even sure what an FDF, XFDF, XDP, or XFD file was so I left those
options alone.

Thank you Andrew for getting us half way there on the menus, allowing
us to take it the rest of the way to locate, deeply hidden inside, this
wondrous option to NOT use the poorly written Adobe Acrobat Standard
plugin - instead saving the files to disk to open in the Adobe Acrobat
Standard 6.0 software instead.

Pamela Fischer

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Larry-12

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
: [hidden email] wrote:
:
[...]
*****
There is a new update for Adobe that works perfectly on my Firefox 1.07
XP Home SP@ machine.

Larry

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

gwtc
[hidden email] wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>>Funny, but I've never had to Control-Alt-Delete to get Firefox to
>>respond. A simple press of "escape" should stop Firefox from continuing
>>the download or perhaps a click on the Back button or at worse case a
>>Task Manager delete of the Adobe process would do.
>>Tools: Options: Downloads: Plugins find PDF files and toggle off the
>>Adobe Plugin might work.
>

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Neither Escape nor any button on WinXP Firefox 1.5rc3 (beta release
> candidate 3,
> http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.5rc3&os=win&lang=en-US)
> actually work when Firefox is hung incessantly by the Adobe Acrobat
> Standard 6.0 plugin.
>
> However, you certainly were on to something with the suggested disable
> plugins location, although the actual menus are totally different than
> you suggested (much less intuitive in reality). For example, there is
> absolutely no Firefox menu with the word "plugin" on it anywhere in the
> Firefox RC3 browser.
>
> Nonetheless, I think you definately helped us find the potential
> location:
> Firefox 1.5c: Tools: Options: Downloads: Download Actions: View & Edit
> Actions:
>
> This "Download Actions" "View & Edit Actions" location has, by default,
> about 50 defined "actions", including five alone for Adobe Acrobat
> Standard 6.0:
> - PDF - Adobe Acrobat Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
> - FDF - Adobe Acrobat Forms Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
> - XFDF - Adobe Acrobat Forms Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
> - XDP - Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File - Open with Adobe Acrobat
> - XFD - Adobe Form Client Data File - Open with Adobe Acrobat
>
> Only once you select one of the actions above and then press the
> "Change Action" button below that do you ever get to see the word
> "plugin" in the menu structure. It's one of the available options when
> downloading files like this:
> - Open them with the default application (Adobe Acrobat 6.0)
> - Open them with this application (none selected)
> - Save them on my computer
> - Use this plugin (Adobe Acrobat)
>
> I changed the action for PDF to "Save them on my computer". I wasn't
> even sure what an FDF, XFDF, XDP, or XFD file was so I left those
> options alone.
>
> Thank you Andrew for getting us half way there on the menus, allowing
> us to take it the rest of the way to locate, deeply hidden inside, this
> wondrous option to NOT use the poorly written Adobe Acrobat Standard
> plugin - instead saving the files to disk to open in the Adobe Acrobat
> Standard 6.0 software instead.
>
> Pamela Fischer

Unfortuantly I have an older version of the reader, but there is an
option in the reader itself.  In my version, 5.1, its under Edit,
Preferences, Options, Web Browser Options, and its the first box that
needs to be uncheck: "Display PDF in Browser."  So, look for something
similar in your version.

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Ron Hunter
[hidden email] wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Anyone know where the Firefox setting is to disable the
>> dastardly God forsaken Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin?
>
> I was remiss in not mentioning versions (it may matter).
>
> - Windows XP SP2
> - Firefox 1.5
> - Acrobat Standard 6.0
>
> I looked all over the browser for the setting to disable the poorly
> written Adobe Acrobat plugin to no avail. I'm beginning to think it's
> not there but it must be, from an intuitive standpoint.
>
> But where?
>
> Usability challenged,
> Pamela Fischer

Simply update Adobe Acrobat Reader to the current version and enjoy the
features, with the convenience of use from a Firefox window, without the
long wait of version 6.0.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

[hidden email] wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> Funny, but I've never had to Control-Alt-Delete to get Firefox to
>> respond. A simple press of "escape" should stop Firefox from continuing
>> the download or perhaps a click on the Back button or at worse case a
>> Task Manager delete of the Adobe process would do.
>> Tools: Options: Downloads: Plugins find PDF files and toggle off the
>> Adobe Plugin might work.
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Neither Escape nor any button on WinXP Firefox 1.5rc3 (beta release
> candidate 3,
> http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.5rc3&os=win&lang=en-US)
> actually work when Firefox is hung incessantly by the Adobe Acrobat
> Standard 6.0 plugin.
>
> However, you certainly were on to something with the suggested disable
> plugins location, although the actual menus are totally different than
> you suggested (much less intuitive in reality). For example, there is
> absolutely no Firefox menu with the word "plugin" on it anywhere in the
> Firefox RC3 browser.
>
> Nonetheless, I think you definately helped us find the potential
> location:
> Firefox 1.5c: Tools: Options: Downloads: Download Actions: View & Edit
> Actions:
>
> This "Download Actions" "View & Edit Actions" location has, by default,
> about 50 defined "actions", including five alone for Adobe Acrobat
> Standard 6.0:
> - PDF - Adobe Acrobat Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
> - FDF - Adobe Acrobat Forms Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
> - XFDF - Adobe Acrobat Forms Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
> - XDP - Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File - Open with Adobe Acrobat
> - XFD - Adobe Form Client Data File - Open with Adobe Acrobat
>
> Only once you select one of the actions above and then press the
> "Change Action" button below that do you ever get to see the word
> "plugin" in the menu structure. It's one of the available options when
> downloading files like this:
> - Open them with the default application (Adobe Acrobat 6.0)
> - Open them with this application (none selected)
> - Save them on my computer
> - Use this plugin (Adobe Acrobat)
>
> I changed the action for PDF to "Save them on my computer". I wasn't
> even sure what an FDF, XFDF, XDP, or XFD file was so I left those
> options alone.
>
> Thank you Andrew for getting us half way there on the menus, allowing
> us to take it the rest of the way to locate, deeply hidden inside, this
> wondrous option to NOT use the poorly written Adobe Acrobat Standard
> plugin - instead saving the files to disk to open in the Adobe Acrobat
> Standard 6.0 software instead.
>
> Pamela Fischer

Ditch v6.0, or at least update to 6.03, which fixed the long loading delay.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Jay Garcia
On 24.11.2005 03:54, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Funny, but I've never had to Control-Alt-Delete to get Firefox to
>>> respond. A simple press of "escape" should stop Firefox from continuing
>>> the download or perhaps a click on the Back button or at worse case a
>>> Task Manager delete of the Adobe process would do.
>>> Tools: Options: Downloads: Plugins find PDF files and toggle off the
>>> Adobe Plugin might work.
>>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Neither Escape nor any button on WinXP Firefox 1.5rc3 (beta release
>> candidate 3,
>> http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.5rc3&os=win&lang=en-US)
>> actually work when Firefox is hung incessantly by the Adobe Acrobat
>> Standard 6.0 plugin.
>>
>> However, you certainly were on to something with the suggested disable
>> plugins location, although the actual menus are totally different than
>> you suggested (much less intuitive in reality). For example, there is
>> absolutely no Firefox menu with the word "plugin" on it anywhere in the
>> Firefox RC3 browser.
>>
>> Nonetheless, I think you definately helped us find the potential
>> location:
>> Firefox 1.5c: Tools: Options: Downloads: Download Actions: View & Edit
>> Actions:
>>
>> This "Download Actions" "View & Edit Actions" location has, by default,
>> about 50 defined "actions", including five alone for Adobe Acrobat
>> Standard 6.0:
>> - PDF - Adobe Acrobat Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
>> - FDF - Adobe Acrobat Forms Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
>> - XFDF - Adobe Acrobat Forms Document - Open with Adobe Acrobat
>> - XDP - Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File - Open with Adobe Acrobat
>> - XFD - Adobe Form Client Data File - Open with Adobe Acrobat
>>
>> Only once you select one of the actions above and then press the
>> "Change Action" button below that do you ever get to see the word
>> "plugin" in the menu structure. It's one of the available options when
>> downloading files like this:
>> - Open them with the default application (Adobe Acrobat 6.0)
>> - Open them with this application (none selected)
>> - Save them on my computer
>> - Use this plugin (Adobe Acrobat)
>>
>> I changed the action for PDF to "Save them on my computer". I wasn't
>> even sure what an FDF, XFDF, XDP, or XFD file was so I left those
>> options alone.
>>
>> Thank you Andrew for getting us half way there on the menus, allowing
>> us to take it the rest of the way to locate, deeply hidden inside, this
>> wondrous option to NOT use the poorly written Adobe Acrobat Standard
>> plugin - instead saving the files to disk to open in the Adobe Acrobat
>> Standard 6.0 software instead.
>>
>> Pamela Fischer
>>
> Ditch v6.0, or at least update to 6.03, which fixed the long loading delay.

** Posted ONLY to .general **

Or, just use the search feature in Windows for NPPDF32.DLL and when
found, rename it to *.BAK

Reader v7.05 just updated, nice.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

[hidden email] wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Funny, but I've never had to Control-Alt-Delete to get Firefox to respond. A simple press of "escape" should stop Firefox from continuing the download or perhaps a click on the Back button or at worse case a
Task Manager delete of the Adobe process would do. Tools: Options: Downloads: Plugins find PDF files and toggle off the Adobe Plugin might work.
Hi Andrew,

Neither Escape nor any button on WinXP Firefox 1.5rc3 (beta release candidate 3, http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.5rc3&os=win&lang=en-US)
Perhaps it's that beta software there...
actually work when Firefox is hung incessantly by the Adobe Acrobat Standard 6.0 plugin.
6.0! Last I checked Adobe was at like 7.0.2 or something like that. So... Let's review... You're using bleeding edge FF and an old Adobe... Hmmmm...
However, you certainly were on to something with the suggested disable plugins location, although the actual menus are totally different than you suggested (much less intuitive in reality).
That's cause it's 1.5 beta.
For example, there is absolutely no Firefox menu with the word "plugin" on it anywhere in the Firefox RC3 browser.
Again, that's the beta. They totally re-wrote the options menu. Sorry, can't help you there...
Nonetheless, I think you definately helped us find the potential location:
Don't cha love it when a single person start referring to herself in 3rd person...
[...]

Makes perfect sense to me!
I changed the action for PDF to "Save them on my computer". I wasn't even sure what an FDF, XFDF, XDP, or XFD file was so I left those options alone.
Nor I.
Thank you Andrew for getting us half way there on the menus, allowing us to take it the rest of the way to locate, deeply hidden inside, this wondrous option to NOT use the poorly written Adobe Acrobat Standard plugin
Poorly written is your subjective opinion. Like I said, most people like it. Then again I'd guess that most people are on Adobe 7.x.
- instead saving the files to disk to open in the Adobe Acrobat Standard 6.0 software instead.
Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crisp no one would eat?

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Wangshanpo
gwtc wrote:
> snip
>>
> Unfortuantly I have an older version of the reader, but there is an
> option in the reader itself.  In my version, 5.1, its under Edit,
> Preferences, Options, Web Browser Options, and its the first box that
> needs to be uncheck: "Display PDF in Browser."  So, look for something
> similar in your version.

Yep, much the same in Reader 7.0.5
Edit... Preferences... Categories... Internet... Display PDF in Browser

--
OOo 2.0 – SeaMonkey 1.0b (nightly...) - Win XP sp2

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

dart_board
I for one HATE / despise,  always have/ always will,  PDF files opening
in my browser. I much prefer for it to open in the reader program
itself. Free PDF readers of all shapes and sizes are available all over
the net. Why oh why saddle the poor browser with having to handle a PDF
file??

And, it's the only reason I use the extension "Target Alert' . It
properly labels PDF files as such and gives me a visual warning that I
may be clicking on a 5 minute mistake.

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Scott Bryce
dart_board wrote:

> Why oh why saddle the poor browser with having to handle a PDF
> file??

The browser doesn't handle the PDF. It asks the PDF viewer to do that,
then it displays the PDF viewers' window in its own window. The only
thing you want to do different is display the PDF in a separate window.

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

BillT

<[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Anyone know where the Firefox setting is to disable the Adobe Acrobat
> PDF plugin?
>
> Like many people, I can't stand waiting a tremendously long time for a
> PDF file to come up in the Firefox browser page when I inadvertantly
> click on a pdf link (minutes). I'd vastly prefer the dastardly PDF file
> to just save on my Windows XP hard drive - or - at the very worst, for
> the link to not work at all instead of wasting my time incessantly -
> almost always causing me to control-alt-delete the Firefox browser just
> to get it to respond again.
>
> The Adobe plugin is so poorly written a plugin that even after waiting
> interminably for the dastardly Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin to load, you
> have only 1/25th the features you'd have simply by bringing up the file
> (in ten times less time) in the Adobe Acrobat editor anyway.
>
> In short, there's nothing good about the Firefox Adobe PDF plugin yet I
> can't find where in Firefox I intuitively disable the plugin from
> ruining my day every time I inadvertantly click on a PDF link (which is
> often, unfortunately for me).
>
> Anyone know how to save time & effort by disabling the Adobe Firefox
> plugin?
> Pamela Fischer

Use the PDF Download extension (http://www.rabotat.org/firefox/).  When you
click on a ODF file, it will ask you if you want to download or save.

BillT

BillT wrote:

> <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> Anyone know where the Firefox setting is to disable the Adobe Acrobat
>> PDF plugin?
>>
>> Like many people, I can't stand waiting a tremendously long time for a
>> PDF file to come up in the Firefox browser page when I inadvertantly
>> click on a pdf link (minutes). I'd vastly prefer the dastardly PDF file
>> to just save on my Windows XP hard drive - or - at the very worst, for
>> the link to not work at all instead of wasting my time incessantly -
>> almost always causing me to control-alt-delete the Firefox browser just
>> to get it to respond again.
>>
>> The Adobe plugin is so poorly written a plugin that even after waiting
>> interminably for the dastardly Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin to load, you
>> have only 1/25th the features you'd have simply by bringing up the file
>> (in ten times less time) in the Adobe Acrobat editor anyway.
>>
>> In short, there's nothing good about the Firefox Adobe PDF plugin yet I
>> can't find where in Firefox I intuitively disable the plugin from
>> ruining my day every time I inadvertantly click on a PDF link (which is
>> often, unfortunately for me).
>>
>> Anyone know how to save time & effort by disabling the Adobe Firefox
>> plugin?
>> Pamela Fischer
>
> Use the PDF Download extension (http://www.rabotat.org/firefox/).  When you
> click on a ODF file, it will ask you if you want to download or save.
>
> BillT

First, only the 6.0 version of the plugin is slow to load, so update to
the most recent version, or use the version 5 plugin.  However, if you
still find you would rather have it in its own window, simply click on
the Acrobat Reader program, and set its options to not activate as a
plugin for Netscape/Mozilla.

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

sags5495
"dart_board" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> It properly labels PDF files as such ["Target Alert"] and gives
> me a visual warning that I may be clicking on a 5 minute mistake.

Don't know about Adobe's plug-in for FireFox, but the plug-in
for IE does handle page-at-a-time download of PDF files. This
means you can take a look at the PDF's table of contents and
at some of the pages before deciding to spend (a lot of) time
on downloading a (potentially) large PDF.

In practice, however, you have a point here:

- page-at-a-time downloading requires the PDF to be "linearized"
  (aka "Web-optimized"), and you cannot know in advance if a
  particular PDF you find on the Net is linearized or not;

- the Web server may not be correctly set up for serving PDFs
  one page at a time;

- there are still enough PDF producers that do not implement
  linearizing at all, or require an easy-to-overlook extra step
  (i.e. "pdfopt.ps" for Ghostscript);

- some PDF authors choose not to linearize the PDFs. In my
  opinion, ALL PDFs should be linearized, because I consider
  this provides a great benefit with only a very slight increase
  in file size. Adobe Reader, at least new versions, seem to take
  advantage of linearization not only when viewing PDFs from the
  Web, but also when these are loaded from slow media like CDs.

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Ron Natalie
My biggest problem is that the plugins (both for firefox and
IE) tend to just hang on startup (so does acroreader) on a
variety of machines even before the splash screen appears.
If I click on a PDF and this happens it just wedges my
browswer for a good long time.  If I kill the acrobat task
and try again, I'll usually get it to startup.

Can anybody explain this behavior.   At least the reader is
free unlike the complete reaming I got buying Acrobat Essentials
which doesn't do squat that it is supposed to.

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Antoine Polatouche-3
[hidden email] wrote:
> Anyone know where the Firefox setting is to disable the Adobe Acrobat
> PDF plugin?

Tools -> Options -> Downloads tab -> View & edit Actions button
Select all the Adobe file types extensions and change the action to
"save to disk".

I agree with you ;-)

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Anthony Susa
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:58:48 +0100, Antoine Polatouche wrote:
> Tools -> Options -> Downloads tab -> View & edit Actions button
> Select all the Adobe file types extensions and change the action to
> "save to disk".
> I agree with you ;-)

I wonder if the Firefox Rabotat PDF plugin is better than Adobe's?
http://www.rabotat.org/firefox

I only learned about this free Rabotat Firefox PDF plugin today from my
separate thread asking how to create web clickable PDF from web pages but
it seems to do what you want too - and it's designed to be much better than
the plugin that Adobe supplies.

Here's what it says about the PDF plugin on the Rabotat.org web page:

"In this page I'm presenting my "PDF Download" extension, that you can use
if you are annoyed to click on a link and then discover that Firefox is
pdf file directly inside your browser. This extension, every time you click
on a link, checks if the target is a pdf file and in this case let you
choose what you want to do (open pdf file inside a new tab, download it to
the filesystem or view it as HTML).

This extension is useful for example when you don't know the size of the
pdf file you want to view. In this case, in fact, if you load the pdf file
directly in your browser you need to wait a lot of time in order to load
Adobe or whatever PDF plug-in, download the file, and view the file. Using
my extension, instead, you can see the file size in the dialog box that
appears just after you clicked on a PDF link and then choose to download
the file or to view it as an HTML page.

You can download PDF Download using the SourceForge mirror or using the
Mozilla Update mirror (however, please note that this page is not updated
so often as my website)."

Re: Disable the God forsaken Firefox Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin (please)

Nikita Pevchin
On 23 Nov 2005 21:17:37 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> Anyone know where the Firefox setting is to disable the Adobe Acrobat
> PDF plugin?

The problem of Adobe Acrobat Reader or Writer hanging Firefox when a user
clicks on a PDF link is so prevalent that a freeware Firefox extension has
been created expressly to circumvent the situation.

I suggest you use the "PDF Download" v 0.5.1.2 Firefox Extension written by
Denis Remondini and released on September 15, 2005 and available at
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Popular&numpg=10&id=636

This PDF Download handler allows the user to choose whether to view a PDF
file inside the Firefox browser (as a PDF or as HTML) or whether to
download the file (as a PDF).