Disable Flash by default

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Disable Flash by default

Neil Stansbury
I'm doubting I'll get much support for this but...

Personally I am sick to death of Flash content hanging Firefox and
generally going into high utilization, just to view some irrelevant rubbish.

Why is it install/enabled by default?
If it must be installed, why can't it have a checkbox like the "Enable
Java/Javascript" options in preferences? (I've posted a flash block
patch for this)

I don't see why I need to keep installing Flash Block to kill the
proprietary content I don't want anyway.

Why is proprietary content enabled at all?

Surely Moz should be encouraging developers to use open standards like
SVG rather than flash?

Disabling Flash by default on Firefox would send a loud and clear
message to all the developers out there that at least 10% of their
audience probably won't see their content, so they'd best start
considering something else.

IMO, the other main plugin offender is PDF. I have to say the best
feature about moving to Linux was being able to use Evince to view PDFs
rather than Adobe's bloated viewer.

N
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Flash by default

Moritz 'Morty' Strübe
Neil Stansbury schrieb:

> Why is proprietary content enabled at all?

Because 99% want it that way. And the other 1% has enaugh ways to
disable it. And anyway: Why do you install Flash at all? Or just try
this: search for the NPSWF32.dll in the plugins dir and delete it.
FF is popular because it's easy to use (you don't have to click some
hidden checkbox to get flash running) and not because of some kind of
nothing-proprietary-idiology. Feel free to make a
nothing-proprietary-contrib. ;-)

Morty
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Flash by default

Ruediger Lahl
In reply to this post by Neil Stansbury
Neil Stansbury wrote:

> If it must be installed, why can't it have a checkbox like the "Enable
> Java/Javascript" options in preferences? (I've posted a flash block
> patch for this)

Use the extension prefbar from: http://prefbar.mozdev.org/ then you can
switch off flash.
--
best regards
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Flash by default

Neil Stansbury
In reply to this post by Moritz 'Morty' Strübe
 > Because 99% want it that way. And the other 1% has enaugh ways to
 > disable it.

Yep fair point, but... in Preferences

I can stop Images loading
I can stop Javascript loading
I can stop Java loading

Then why do I need an extension to stop Flash loading?

I'd never install a Flash plugin (knowingly) - hate the stuff. I've
always assumed either it's a) part of the binary b) FF installs the
plugin so efficiently I miss the chance to stop it.

If the plugin installs by default then IMO I see an argument for an
"Enable Flash" next to "Enable Java". Enabled by default or otherwise.

On the ideological front - I thought Mozilla was about making the web
accessible to as many people as possible. I guess you could argue that
flash helps, I just see it hindering it though.


N

Moritz 'Morty' Strübe wrote:

> Neil Stansbury schrieb:
>
>> Why is proprietary content enabled at all?
>
> Because 99% want it that way. And the other 1% has enaugh ways to
> disable it. And anyway: Why do you install Flash at all? Or just try
> this: search for the NPSWF32.dll in the plugins dir and delete it.
> FF is popular because it's easy to use (you don't have to click some
> hidden checkbox to get flash running) and not because of some kind of
> nothing-proprietary-idiology. Feel free to make a
> nothing-proprietary-contrib. ;-)
>
> Morty
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Flash by default

Moritz 'Morty' Strübe
Neil Stansbury schrieb:
>> Because 99% want it that way. And the other 1% has enaugh ways to
>> disable it.
>
> Yep fair point, but... in Preferences
>
> I can stop Images loading
> I can stop Javascript loading
> I can stop Java loading

Hmm ok, Java is a bit problematic, as it's a plugin, t0o. Have a look at
the about:plugins - page. Some people have _lots_ of plugins installed
and you can't have a button for each of them. Some way to en- and
disable the plugins without having to deinstall them would be nice, though.

>
> Then why do I need an extension to stop Flash loading?
>

Because the idea is to only add option a majority uses and do the rest
with extensions. update.mozilla.org needs a bit of work to get smooth
though. (Personally I'm hoping for a XUL - thing to do this stuff)

> I'd never install a Flash plugin (knowingly) - hate the stuff. I've
> always assumed either it's a) part of the binary b) FF installs the
> plugin so efficiently I miss the chance to stop it.

Well, you probably have (Windows does in some versions ;-) ). The new
feature(!) which came somewhen around 1.0 is that FF searches if Flash
is already installed, because people wen't mad because it didn't work
and switched back to ie.

>
> If the plugin installs by default then IMO I see an argument for an
> "Enable Flash" next to "Enable Java". Enabled by default or otherwise.

No it doesn't. Only if Flash is already installed.
>
> On the ideological front - I thought Mozilla was about making the web
> accessible to as many people as possible. I guess you could argue that
> flash helps, I just see it hindering it though.


Flash works fine here and unfortunately a lot of site use it for
navigation. I'm not happy with it, but if you can't fight something you
have to live with it.

Morty

>
>
> N
>
> Moritz 'Morty' Strübe wrote:
>> Neil Stansbury schrieb:
>>
>>> Why is proprietary content enabled at all?
>>
>> Because 99% want it that way. And the other 1% has enaugh ways to
>> disable it. And anyway: Why do you install Flash at all? Or just try
>> this: search for the NPSWF32.dll in the plugins dir and delete it.
>> FF is popular because it's easy to use (you don't have to click some
>> hidden checkbox to get flash running) and not because of some kind of
>> nothing-proprietary-idiology. Feel free to make a
>> nothing-proprietary-contrib. ;-)
>>
>> Morty

_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Flash by default

Will May
In reply to this post by Neil Stansbury
Neil Stansbury wrote:

> I'm doubting I'll get much support for this but...
>
> Personally I am sick to death of Flash content hanging Firefox and
> generally going into high utilization, just to view some irrelevant
> rubbish.
>
> Why is it install/enabled by default?
> If it must be installed, why can't it have a checkbox like the "Enable
> Java/Javascript" options in preferences? (I've posted a flash block
> patch for this)
>
> I don't see why I need to keep installing Flash Block to kill the
> proprietary content I don't want anyway.
>
> Why is proprietary content enabled at all?
>
> Surely Moz should be encouraging developers to use open standards like
> SVG rather than flash?
>
> Disabling Flash by default on Firefox would send a loud and clear
> message to all the developers out there that at least 10% of their
> audience probably won't see their content, so they'd best start
> considering something else.
>
> IMO, the other main plugin offender is PDF. I have to say the best
> feature about moving to Linux was being able to use Evince to view PDFs
> rather than Adobe's bloated viewer.
>
> N

One thing you can try with Flash, is FlashBlock
(https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=433).
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Flash by default

Justin Wood (Callek)
In reply to this post by Neil Stansbury
Neil Stansbury wrote:
> On the ideological front - I thought Mozilla was about making the web
> accessible to as many people as possible. I guess you could argue that
> flash helps, I just see it hindering it though.

Not Exactly,

"The mission of the Mozilla project is to preserve choice and innovation
on the Internet." (From http://www.mozilla.org/about/ )

See also various links from that page.

~Justin Wood (Callek)
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Flash by default

Nachiket-2
In reply to this post by Neil Stansbury
Firefox does not install the Flash plugin.Neither is it part of the
binary. When you install the  Shockwave Flash on your computer through
Macromedia's installer, you get an option to install Flash Plugin for
Mozilla Firefox(among other browsers).

Therefore, you have installed Flash, unknowingly perhaps if you dont
pay attention to the dialog boxes. Removing it is simple enough, just
do what Morty said.

_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Flash by default

Al-13
In reply to this post by Neil Stansbury
Neil Stansbury wrote:

> I'm doubting I'll get much support for this but...
>
> Personally I am sick to death of Flash content hanging Firefox and
> generally going into high utilization, just to view some irrelevant
> rubbish.
>
> Why is it install/enabled by default?
> If it must be installed, why can't it have a checkbox like the "Enable
> Java/Javascript" options in preferences? (I've posted a flash block
> patch for this)
>
> I don't see why I need to keep installing Flash Block to kill the
> proprietary content I don't want anyway.
>
> Why is proprietary content enabled at all?
>
> Surely Moz should be encouraging developers to use open standards like
> SVG rather than flash?
>
> Disabling Flash by default on Firefox would send a loud and clear
> message to all the developers out there that at least 10% of their
> audience probably won't see their content, so they'd best start
> considering something else.
>
> IMO, the other main plugin offender is PDF. I have to say the best
> feature about moving to Linux was being able to use Evince to view PDFs
> rather than Adobe's bloated viewer.
>
> N


> http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/Foxit_PDF_Reader/Foxit_PDF_Reader.html

_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey