Differnces between SM and MS...?

Mozzy Fan
I have been running SM since it became BETA and I'm afraid I can't see
ANY differences between Mozilla Suite v1.7.12 and SeaMonkey v1.0b.
Please clarify...?

Re: Differnces between SM and MS...?

Onkar Shinde
Mozzy Fan wrote:
> I have been running SM since it became BETA and I'm afraid I can't see
> ANY differences between Mozilla Suite v1.7.12 and SeaMonkey v1.0b.
> Please clarify...?

Visible differences in SM:

Preference for roaming profile.
Inline spell check in mail composer.
Advanced options in tabbed browsing
Fast back (you have to enable it)

Non-visible differences SM:
Gecko 1.8
SVG partial implementation (with Cairo as backend)
Canvas implementation (someone correct me on this)
Lots of bug fixes.

Regards
Onkar

Re: Differences between SM1.0b and Mz1.7.12?

Juhani Tenhunen
Mozilla 1.7.12 uses the Gecko 1.7, SeaMonkey 1.0b the Gecko 1.8 (like
Firefox 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5 rc2),  and  SeaMonkey 1.5a the Gecko
1.9. Your ability to use plugins etc. is dependent on the Gecko version
number. You can't normally see visually the differences that work only
on coding level.

Regards, Juhani Tenhunen

Mozzy Fan wrote:
> I have been running SM since it became BETA and I'm afraid I can't see
> ANY differences between Mozilla Suite v1.7.12 and SeaMonkey v1.0b.
> Please clarify...

Re: Differnces between SM and MS...?

Jeff Beal
Mozzy Fan wrote:
> I have been running SM since it became BETA and I'm afraid I can't see
> ANY differences between Mozilla Suite v1.7.12 and SeaMonkey v1.0b.
> Please clarify...?

I'm pretty sure that the Grouped By sort and saved search folders in
mail are both new in SeaMonkey.

Re: Differnces between SM and MS...?

Chris Thomas-3
Onkar Shinde wrote:

> Mozzy Fan wrote:
>> I have been running SM since it became BETA and I'm afraid I can't see
>> ANY differences between Mozilla Suite v1.7.12 and SeaMonkey v1.0b.
>> Please clarify...?
>>

> Visible differences in SM:
>
> Preference for roaming profile.
> Inline spell check in mail composer.
> Advanced options in tabbed browsing
> Fast back (you have to enable it)

Autoscroll support (off by default on linux), tab drag-drop reordering,
ability to return to a tab's parent when you close the tab... you can
read the release notes for more changes.

Chris

Re: Differnces between SM and MS...?

Leonidas Jones
Jeff Beal wrote:
> Mozzy Fan wrote:
>> I have been running SM since it became BETA and I'm afraid I can't see
>> ANY differences between Mozilla Suite v1.7.12 and SeaMonkey v1.0b.
>> Please clarify...?
>>

> I'm pretty sure that the Grouped By sort and saved search folders in
> mail are both new in SeaMonkey.

Yes they are.

Lee

Re: Differnces between SM and MS...?

Marc Jacobsen
Jeff Beal wrote:
> Mozzy Fan wrote:
>> I have been running SM since it became BETA and I'm afraid I can't see
>> ANY differences between Mozilla Suite v1.7.12 and SeaMonkey v1.0b.
>> Please clarify...?
>>

> I'm pretty sure that the Grouped By sort and saved search folders in
> mail are both new in SeaMonkey.

Also, my personal favorite, in Mail/Newsgroups there is a new layout
available, called "vertical view".  When using a nice hi-res display
(like 1600x1200, or 1680x1080) it is awesome.

A big thank you to whoever implemented this.

Re: Differnces between SM and MS...?

Marcus Lammerich
Onkar Shinde wrote:

> Mozzy Fan wrote:
>> I have been running SM since it became BETA and I'm afraid I can't see
>> ANY differences between Mozilla Suite v1.7.12 and SeaMonkey v1.0b.
>> Please clarify...?

> Non-visible differences SM:
> Gecko 1.8
> SVG partial implementation (with Cairo as backend)
> Canvas implementation (someone correct me on this)

As for the Canvas support check this out:

http://www.abrahamjoffe.com.au/ben/canvascape/
http://www.teethgrinder.co.uk/perm.php?id=126

Marcus

Re: Differnces between SM and MS...?

Frank Wein
Onkar Shinde wrote:

> Mozzy Fan wrote:
>> I have been running SM since it became BETA and I'm afraid I can't see
>> ANY differences between Mozilla Suite v1.7.12 and SeaMonkey v1.0b.
>> Please clarify...?
>>

> Visible differences in SM:
>
> Preference for roaming profile.
> Inline spell check in mail composer.
> Advanced options in tabbed browsing
> Fast back (you have to enable it)
[..]

Fastback/bfcache is already enabled by default AFAIK.

Frank

Re: Differnces between SM and MS...?

Maurits Obbink
Is Canvas really supported?

since I can't get the quoted urls below to work like they do in Firefox.
I assume Canvas isn't implemented.
I tried with a new profile as well

I checked with some other web page as well
http://griello.yi.org/canvas.html (a common test)
which doesn't work in SM either.

Regards,

Maurits Obbink.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051218
SeaMonkey/1.0b

>> Canvas implementation (someone correct me on this)
>
> As for the Canvas support check this out:
>
> http://www.abrahamjoffe.com.au/ben/canvascape/
> http://www.teethgrinder.co.uk/perm.php?id=126
>

> Marcus

Re: Differnces between SM and MS...?

Sander-8
Maurits Obbink wrote:
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051218
> SeaMonkey/1.0b

It wasn't supported in that build. One day later, 20051219 (which should
be the official SeaMonkey 1.0b) the extra build options were included.

Sander

Sander wrote:
> Maurits Obbink wrote:
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051218
>> SeaMonkey/1.0b
>
> It wasn't supported in that build. One day later, 20051219 (which should
> be the official SeaMonkey 1.0b) the extra build options were included.
>
> Sander

There is or was a problem with the installer builds on Windows not
properly installing some components (including canvas)... I don't recall
if that was fixed before or after we shipped beta.

Chris

Maurits Obbink wrote:
> Is Canvas really supported?
>
> since I can't get the quoted urls below to work like they do in Firefox.
> I assume Canvas isn't implemented.
> I tried with a new profile as well
>
> I checked with some other web page as well
> http://griello.yi.org/canvas.html (a common test)
> which doesn't work in SM either.

> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051218
> SeaMonkey/1.0b

WFM with ZIP Build of
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051217
SeaMonkey/1.0b