Different strings for different platforms (OS'es)

Different strings for different platforms (OS'es)

Rimas Kudelis-3
Hi folks,

quite often we have to translate someStringWin and someStringUnix
strings, that target Windows and Other Platforms (=Unix+Mac, as far as
it concerns Mozilla) respectfully. Quite often, if not always, a
difference between those strings is only cosmetic (such as Options in
Win vs. Preferences in Unix/Mac).

Now I wonder... How often are such cosmetic differences in the original
string reflected in your locale? And how often do you find yourself in a
situation where you should probably use different strings for e.g. Unix
and Mac, or even Win and Unix, or Win and Mac, but you can't (because
the platform differentiation is simply not provided for that string)?

The existance of ja-JP-mac proves that the second case is quite real,
and, if I remember correctly from one of the IRC chats, some even very
basic words (such as the word File) differ between the Mac OS X and the
rest of the world in Polish localization.

On the other hand, in Lithuanian locale, on which I am working, most (if
not all) platform-specific strings are identical between platforms. Then
again, translation of the word "Desktop" to Lithuanian differs slightly
between Gnome and Windows, but I only have to choose one of these words
when translating Firefox.

What I'm thinking is that perhaps a bug should be filed for post-3.0
release asking for a general platform-based string override possibility
instead of the hardcoded differentiation as it is now. I guess that
could be at least be a yet another feature for L20N. What do you think?

Regards,

RQ

Re: Different strings for different platforms (OS'es)

Cédric Corazza
Well, for instance for the French locale, there are different strings
with regard to the platform.
This is not a big deal for localizers : if it is the same for every
platform, then a copy-paste is enough. This is only about a few menu
strings.
We have to keep in mind that we are dealing with 40+ locales here, and
this "issue" is really not a pain.

Regards

Re: Different strings for different platforms (OS'es)

Damjan Georgievski
Rimas Kudelis wrote:

> such as Options in Win vs. Preferences in Unix/Mac).

Which I personally hate very much

> What I'm thinking is that perhaps a bug should be filed for post-3.0
> release asking for a general platform-based string override possibility
> instead of the hardcoded differentiation as it is now. I guess that
> could be at least be a yet another feature for L20N. What do you think?

Well, in the macedonian case nobody uses a localized Windows (only XP
available since ~2006, complex instalation, and awful l10n work) so the
free software projects lead in l10n. So more-or-less the Linux platform
sets the standards and I don't care for different strings for other
platforms. The less duplication of these strings the better.

--
damjan

Re: Different strings for different platforms (OS'es)

Axel Hecht
As for now, I don't see any other way to solve this then to define
platform dependent entities. I never fully understood the real set of
differences between ja and ja-JP-mac, though.

For languages that would need more platform-specificness, it would have
probably been good to get bug reports on that much earlier in the fx2
cycle, I don't see us forking existing entities still. Even if we could
write automatic patches for those. It really had to be bad.

As for l20n, I never thought about that as an entry point to solve
cross-platformness. I posted a note to
http://wiki.mozilla.org/L20n:Issues to track that.

Axel

Rimas Kudelis wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> quite often we have to translate someStringWin and someStringUnix
> strings, that target Windows and Other Platforms (=Unix+Mac, as far as
> it concerns Mozilla) respectfully. Quite often, if not always, a
> difference between those strings is only cosmetic (such as Options in
> Win vs. Preferences in Unix/Mac).
>
> Now I wonder... How often are such cosmetic differences in the original
> string reflected in your locale? And how often do you find yourself in a
> situation where you should probably use different strings for e.g. Unix
> and Mac, or even Win and Unix, or Win and Mac, but you can't (because
> the platform differentiation is simply not provided for that string)?
>
> The existance of ja-JP-mac proves that the second case is quite real,
> and, if I remember correctly from one of the IRC chats, some even very
> basic words (such as the word File) differ between the Mac OS X and the
> rest of the world in Polish localization.
>
> On the other hand, in Lithuanian locale, on which I am working, most (if
> not all) platform-specific strings are identical between platforms. Then
> again, translation of the word "Desktop" to Lithuanian differs slightly
> between Gnome and Windows, but I only have to choose one of these words
> when translating Firefox.
>
> What I'm thinking is that perhaps a bug should be filed for post-3.0
> release asking for a general platform-based string override possibility
> instead of the hardcoded differentiation as it is now. I guess that
> could be at least be a yet another feature for L20N. What do you think?
>
> Regards,
>
> RQ

Re: Different strings for different platforms (OS'es)

marcoos
On 24 Mar, 01:53, Rimas Kudelis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The existance of ja-JP-mac proves that the second case is quite real,
> and, if I remember correctly from one of the IRC chats, some even very
> basic words (such as the word File) differ between the Mac OS X and the
> rest of the world in Polish localization.

Fortunately, this is not the case with Polish OS X Leopard, which
mostly
adopted the pl-PL-windows dialect. There are still some differences
(Biurko [Mac, Gnome] vs Pulpit [Windows] for "Desktop"), but they're
quite
insignificant. Currently, for the most part strings are different in
Polish when
they're different in English...

> What I'm thinking is that perhaps a bug should be filed for post-3.0
> release asking for a general platform-based string override possibility
> instead of the hardcoded differentiation as it is now. I guess that
> could be at least be a yet another feature for L20N. What do you think?

It would still be nice to have the per-platform diversification in
L20n, because
it'd be nice to have e.g. "Copy" as "Skopiuj" in Firefox under Gnome,
instead
of the windowsish imperfective (and thus wrong) "Kopiuj".