Difference between core and toolkit

Chris Ilias-2
[Cross-posted to mozilla.dev.quality and mozilla.dev.platform, and
follow-up set to mozilla.dev.quality]

I'm updating the page <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/bugs>, as
per bug 327750. Part of that is eliminating the request to test bugs in
the Mozilla Suite, and instead of that, put a general tutorial on how to
determine the product/component of the bug. One thing I'm having trouble
with, is how to determine a toolkit bug from a core bug (without testing
other apps). I know that the "new" toolkit is used for Firefox and
Thunderbird, but not SeaMonkey.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Re: Difference between core and toolkit

Benjamin Smedberg
Chris Ilias wrote:

> [Cross-posted to mozilla.dev.quality and mozilla.dev.platform, and
> follow-up set to mozilla.dev.quality]
>
> I'm updating the page <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/bugs>, as
> per bug 327750. Part of that is eliminating the request to test bugs in
> the Mozilla Suite, and instead of that, put a general tutorial on how to
> determine the product/component of the bug. One thing I'm having trouble
> with, is how to determine a toolkit bug from a core bug (without testing
> other apps). I know that the "new" toolkit is used for Firefox and
> Thunderbird, but not SeaMonkey.

This is an impossible conundrum. Unless you know the structure of our
codebase it's basically impossible to tell until you start looking at the
actual subcomponents.

I think it was a mistake to add "Toolkit", and we should probably roll all
those component back into "Core".

--BDS

Re: Difference between core and toolkit

Lloyd Budd-3
On 7/21/06, Benjamin Smedberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
> > [Cross-posted to mozilla.dev.quality and mozilla.dev.platform, and
> > follow-up set to mozilla.dev.quality]
> >
> > I'm updating the page <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/bugs>, as
> > per bug 327750. Part of that is eliminating the request to test bugs in
> > the Mozilla Suite, and instead of that, put a general tutorial on how to
> > determine the product/component of the bug. One thing I'm having trouble
> > with, is how to determine a toolkit bug from a core bug (without testing
> > other apps). I know that the "new" toolkit is used for Firefox and
> > Thunderbird, but not SeaMonkey.
>
> This is an impossible conundrum. Unless you know the structure of our
> codebase it's basically impossible to tell until you start looking at the
> actual subcomponents.
>
> I think it was a mistake to add "Toolkit", and we should probably roll all
> those component back into "Core".

This may be where a good bug tracker would support a visualization of
products/components appropriate to most stake holders including most members
of QA, and additional taxonomy characteristics that are only meaningful to
the developers.

--
Peace be in you,
Lloyd D Budd

Re: Difference between core and toolkit

Boris Zbarsky
Chris Ilias wrote:
> One thing I'm having trouble
> with, is how to determine a toolkit bug from a core bug (without testing
> other apps). I know that the "new" toolkit is used for Firefox and
> Thunderbird, but not SeaMonkey.

Actually, it gets worse, because SeaMonkey is moving to using the "new"
toolkit... ;)

The best you can do unless you have the code the bug is in located is guess
based on the functionality that's buggy.  For example, if it's a bug in HTML
rendering, chances are it's not toolkit.... Telling that something is not a Core
bug is harder, of course.

-Boris