Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

The Real Bev
On 01/18/2019 08:19 AM, jetjock wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> jetjock wrote on 18/01/2019 2:53 AM:

>>> Well, I guess I livened it up a little anyway!  :-)
>>>
>> Yeah!! ;-P
>>
> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(

I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook, but
it's not the same.  Or even close.

I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

--
Cheers, Bev
  People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

WaltS48-9
On 1/18/19 3:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 01/18/2019 08:19 AM, jetjock wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Yeah!! ;-P
>>>
>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>
> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook, but
> it's not the same.  Or even close.
>
> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

The SeaMonkey developers wonder where Ratty went. Just disappeared one day.

Methinks things might be better there.

--
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 - Cinnamon Desktop
“Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴

jetjock wrote:

Haven't seen a post here since Frank Sinatra on the 8th. Did Mozilla
finally shut it down?

Well, I guess I livened it up a little anyway!  :-)

Yeah!! ;-P

I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(

I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook, but it's not the same.  Or even close.

I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌

--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"          -Mister Ed

On 1/18/19 7:32 PM, 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

> On 01/18/19 3:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>>
>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>
>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>

> I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌

What about Ron Hunter?

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
Crooked Ivanka - Lock her up!

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 1/18/2019 8:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 01/18/2019 08:19 AM, jetjock wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Yeah!! ;-P
>>>
>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>
> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook, but
> it's not the same.  Or even close.
>
> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

I'm still in a couple of active groups: alt.tv.law-and-order, originally
about the tv show, but now mainly a current affairs group, and
soc.history.ancient, which is sometimes a bit cranky, as you can imagine.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally.  History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember.  -Albert Goldman

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

GerardJan-8
The Real Bev wrote:

> On 01/18/2019 08:19 AM, jetjock wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Yeah!! ;-P
>>>
>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>
> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook, but it's not
> the same.  Or even close.
>
> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

# fortune
Graphics blind the eyes.
Audio files deafen the ear.
Mouse clicks numb the fingers.
Heuristics weaken the mind.
Options wither the heart.

The Guru observes the net
but trusts his inner vision.
He allows things to come and go.
His heart is as open as the ether.
[root@gershwin gerardjan]# exit

sincerely,
Karl's version of Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to exceed the time alloted it.

Fedora20
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711183816

ps. family: https://vinkesteijn.com

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Daniel-2
WaltS48 wrote on 19/01/2019 8:18 AM:

> On 1/18/19 3:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>>
>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>
>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

... or, at least, tell us how his dogs are going!! Last I heard, Jay was
going to be doing some touring, showing his dogs (Australian Terriers or
some such) off!

> The SeaMonkey developers wonder where Ratty went. Just disappeared one day.
>
> Methinks things might be better there.

I thought I read, somewhere here-abouts, maybe, that Ratty had gone on
to meet his makers .... or am I mis-remembering things??

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

WaltS48 wrote on 19/01/2019 11:59 AM:

> On 1/18/19 7:32 PM, 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

>>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>>
>>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>
>> I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌
>
> What about Ron Hunter?

Another good-en!!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Mark Rousell-3
On 17/01/2019 22:28, The Real Bev wrote:
> People aren't as enraged any more.  We're resigned to GUIs getting
> worse and worse.  We used to complain.  We had PASSION.  Now we just
> sulk.

As in politics, it seems that the decision makers are more and more
distant from the users, and the users have become inured to it.

--
Mark Rousell

Mark Rousell wrote:
> On 17/01/2019 22:28, The Real Bev wrote:
>> People aren't as enraged any more.  We're resigned to GUIs getting
>> worse and worse.  We used to complain.  We had PASSION.  Now we just
>> sulk.
>
> As in politics, it seems that the decision makers are more and more
> distant from the users, and the users have become inured to it.

I have passion, and I am a distant user (Benidorm, España) ;-)

Karl's version of Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to exceed the time alloted it.

Fedora20
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711183816

ps. family: https://vinkesteijn.com

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 1/18/2019
4:59 PM:

> On 1/18/19 7:32 PM, 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

>>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>>
>>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>>

>> I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌
>
> What about Ron Hunter?

Last time I asked about him, he responded that he was mostly in lurk
mode but still with us. Hopefully, that still the same or, if not, he's
spending his time writing again, see
http://www.siye.co.uk/viewuser.php?uid=5983

--
Sailfish

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Frank-32
On 1/19/2019 2:16 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:

> On 1/18/2019 8:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>>
>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>
>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>
> I'm still in a couple of active groups: alt.tv.law-and-order, originally
> about the tv show, but now mainly a current affairs group, and
> soc.history.ancient, which is sometimes a bit cranky, as you can imagine.

Lot of us old timers miss usenet when it was in its prime.  There are
some active groups that spammers have missed but when they find them
they pollute them.

On 01/19/2019 08:16 AM, Frank wrote:

> On 1/19/2019 2:16 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:

>>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>>
>>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>>
>> I'm still in a couple of active groups: alt.tv.law-and-order, originally
>> about the tv show, but now mainly a current affairs group, and
>> soc.history.ancient, which is sometimes a bit cranky, as you can imagine.

Some of the linux groups and sci.electronics.repair are still alive.  I
keep watching a long list, but most are inactive.

> Lot of us old timers miss usenet when it was in its prime.  There are
> some active groups that spammers have missed but when they find them
> they pollute them.

Latest assault -- 'Looking for man 35-55 for long walks on beach....' etc.

Looking for love in all the wrong places.  We deal in sarcasm, friend.

--
Cheers, Bev
    Don't you just KNOW that there is more than one

Frank wrote:

> On 1/19/2019 2:16 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:

>>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook, but it's
>>> not the same.  Or even close.
>>>
>>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>>
>> I'm still in a couple of active groups: alt.tv.law-and-order, originally about
>> the tv show, but now mainly a current affairs group, and soc.history.ancient,
>> which is sometimes a bit cranky, as you can imagine.
>>

> Lot of us old timers miss usenet when it was in its prime.  There are some
> active groups that spammers have missed but when they find them they pollute them.

I know (use) /usenet/ since 1974 with Teus Haagen, Paul ten Haagen and Piet
Beertema from /eunet/ and /arpanet/

Karl's version of Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to exceed the time alloted it.

Fedora20
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711183816

ps. family: https://vinkesteijn.com

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Joy Beeson
On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 11:16:00 -0500, Frank
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are
> some active groups that spammers have missed but when they find them
> they pollute them.

Spammers can't do any harm if no-one answers them.

Unfortunately, every group is infested with a few people who enjoy
poking the mentally disabled, and a few people who can't refrain from
taking the bait, the line, and the sinker.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

On 1/19/2019 3:13 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 1/18/2019
> 4:59 PM:

>>> I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌
>>
>> What about Ron Hunter?
>>
> Last time I asked about him, he responded that he was mostly in lurk
> mode but still with us. Hopefully, that still the same or, if not, he's
> spending his time writing again, see
> http://www.siye.co.uk/viewuser.php?uid=5983

Good discussion, let's have some more in the future.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally.  History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember.  -Albert Goldman

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Disaster Master
On Fri Jan 18 2019 16:18:42 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> “Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in
> front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the
> other side of that wall.”
> Donald Trump - 2004

And contrary to what many TDS sufferers think, this comment had nothing
to do with a physical wall, much less one at the border.

Disaster Master wrote:

> On Fri Jan 18 2019 16:18:42 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> “Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in
>> front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the
>> other side of that wall.”
>> Donald Trump - 2004
>
> And contrary to what many TDS sufferers think, this comment had nothing
> to do with a physical wall, much less one at the border.

Donald made a big mistake:
¡ He always said that the Mexican President would pay for the wall !

Disaster Master wrote on 23/01/2019 4:05 AM:

> On Fri Jan 18 2019 16:18:42 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> “Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in
>> front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the
>> other side of that wall.”
>> Donald Trump - 2004
>
> And contrary to what many TDS sufferers think, this comment had nothing
> to do with a physical wall, much less one at the border.

Oh!! Really!! Surely you jest .... or Walt does!! Or Donald did!!

Daniel wrote:

> Disaster Master wrote on 23/01/2019 4:05 AM:
>> On Fri Jan 18 2019 16:18:42 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> “Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in
>>> front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the
>>> other side of that wall.”
>>> Donald Trump - 2004
>>
>> And contrary to what many TDS sufferers think, this comment had nothing
>> to do with a physical wall, much less one at the border.
>>
> Oh!! Really!! Surely you jest .... or Walt does!! Or Donald did!!

BB King \ Eric Clapton - The Thrill Is Gone 2010 Live Video FULL HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzTlB-TjAzM&list=RD-KRSpM8Rejs&index=7