Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

WaltS48-9
On 1/18/19 3:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 01/18/2019 08:19 AM, jetjock wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Yeah!! ;-P
>>>
>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>
> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook, but
> it's not the same.  Or even close.
>
> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

The SeaMonkey developers wonder where Ratty went. Just disappeared one day.

Methinks things might be better there.

--
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 - Cinnamon Desktop
“Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴

jetjock wrote:

Haven't seen a post here since Frank Sinatra on the 8th. Did Mozilla
finally shut it down?

Well, I guess I livened it up a little anyway!  :-)

Yeah!! ;-P

I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(

I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook, but it's not the same.  Or even close.

I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌

--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"          -Mister Ed

On 1/18/19 7:32 PM, 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

> On 01/18/19 3:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>>
>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>
>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>

> I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌

What about Ron Hunter?

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
Crooked Ivanka - Lock her up!

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 1/18/2019 8:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 01/18/2019 08:19 AM, jetjock wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Yeah!! ;-P
>>>
>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>
> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook, but
> it's not the same.  Or even close.
>
> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

I'm still in a couple of active groups: alt.tv.law-and-order, originally
about the tv show, but now mainly a current affairs group, and
soc.history.ancient, which is sometimes a bit cranky, as you can imagine.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally.  History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember.  -Albert Goldman

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Daniel-2
WaltS48 wrote on 19/01/2019 8:18 AM:

> On 1/18/19 3:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>>
>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>
>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.

... or, at least, tell us how his dogs are going!! Last I heard, Jay was
going to be doing some touring, showing his dogs (Australian Terriers or
some such) off!

> The SeaMonkey developers wonder where Ratty went. Just disappeared one day.
>
> Methinks things might be better there.

I thought I read, somewhere here-abouts, maybe, that Ratty had gone on
to meet his makers .... or am I mis-remembering things??

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

WaltS48 wrote on 19/01/2019 11:59 AM:

> On 1/18/19 7:32 PM, 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

>>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>>
>>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>
>> I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌
>
> What about Ron Hunter?

Another good-en!!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Mark Rousell-3
On 17/01/2019 22:28, The Real Bev wrote:
> People aren't as enraged any more.  We're resigned to GUIs getting
> worse and worse.  We used to complain.  We had PASSION.  Now we just
> sulk.

As in politics, it seems that the decision makers are more and more
distant from the users, and the users have become inured to it.

--
Mark Rousell

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 1/18/2019
4:59 PM:

> On 1/18/19 7:32 PM, 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

>>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>>
>>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>>

>> I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌
>
> What about Ron Hunter?

Last time I asked about him, he responded that he was mostly in lurk
mode but still with us. Hopefully, that still the same or, if not, he's
spending his time writing again, see
http://www.siye.co.uk/viewuser.php?uid=5983

--
Sailfish

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Frank-32
On 1/19/2019 2:16 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:

> On 1/18/2019 8:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I really miss the "good ol' days" when folks used to get excited about
>>> stuff! When "JoeS", "The Purple Hippo", "Jay Garcia" and others I can't
>>> remember, used to see who could develop the neatest scripts to animate
>>> things and argue about "top posting" vs "bottom posting" etc.. But I
>>> guess as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again"!  :-(
>>
>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>
>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>
> I'm still in a couple of active groups: alt.tv.law-and-order, originally
> about the tv show, but now mainly a current affairs group, and
> soc.history.ancient, which is sometimes a bit cranky, as you can imagine.

Lot of us old timers miss usenet when it was in its prime.  There are
some active groups that spammers have missed but when they find them
they pollute them.

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

The Real Bev
On 01/19/2019 08:16 AM, Frank wrote:

> On 1/19/2019 2:16 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:

>>> I miss usenet.  Some of the 'friends' are still around on facebook,
>>> but it's not the same.  Or even close.
>>>
>>> I wish Jay would come back and tell us how he's doing.
>>>
>> I'm still in a couple of active groups: alt.tv.law-and-order, originally
>> about the tv show, but now mainly a current affairs group, and
>> soc.history.ancient, which is sometimes a bit cranky, as you can imagine.

Some of the linux groups and sci.electronics.repair are still alive.  I
keep watching a long list, but most are inactive.

> Lot of us old timers miss usenet when it was in its prime.  There are
> some active groups that spammers have missed but when they find them
> they pollute them.

Latest assault -- 'Looking for man 35-55 for long walks on beach....' etc.

Looking for love in all the wrong places.  We deal in sarcasm, friend.

--
Cheers, Bev
    Don't you just KNOW that there is more than one

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Joy Beeson
On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 11:16:00 -0500, Frank
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are
> some active groups that spammers have missed but when they find them
> they pollute them.

Spammers can't do any harm if no-one answers them.

Unfortunately, every group is infested with a few people who enjoy
poking the mentally disabled, and a few people who can't refrain from
taking the bait, the line, and the sinker.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

On 1/19/2019 3:13 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 1/18/2019
> 4:59 PM:

>>> I'm with you on this one Bev. 👌
>>
>> What about Ron Hunter?
>>
> Last time I asked about him, he responded that he was mostly in lurk
> mode but still with us. Hopefully, that still the same or, if not, he's
> spending his time writing again, see
> http://www.siye.co.uk/viewuser.php?uid=5983

Good discussion, let's have some more in the future.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally.  History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember.  -Albert Goldman

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Disaster Master
On Fri Jan 18 2019 16:18:42 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> “Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in
> front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the
> other side of that wall.”
> Donald Trump - 2004

And contrary to what many TDS sufferers think, this comment had nothing
to do with a physical wall, much less one at the border.

Disaster Master wrote on 23/01/2019 4:05 AM:

> On Fri Jan 18 2019 16:18:42 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> “Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in
>> front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the
>> other side of that wall.”
>> Donald Trump - 2004
>
> And contrary to what many TDS sufferers think, this comment had nothing
> to do with a physical wall, much less one at the border.

Oh!! Really!! Surely you jest .... or Walt does!! Or Donald did!!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Disaster Master
On Wed Jan 23 2019 00:33:31 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Daniel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Disaster Master wrote on 23/01/2019 4:05 AM:
>> On Fri Jan 18 2019 16:18:42 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> “Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in
>>> front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the
>>> other side of that wall.”
>>> Donald Trump - 2004

>> And contrary to what many TDS sufferers think, this comment had nothing
>> to do with a physical wall, much less one at the border.

> Oh!! Really!! Surely you jest .... or Walt does!! Or Donald did!!

Or you are now? Seriously, have you never heard of context? The context
in which Trump said this, as well as the words pre and post, make it
very clear.

There is a thing called 'internet search'... try it some time.

Disaster Master wrote on 24/01/2019 1:10 AM:

> On Wed Jan 23 2019 00:33:31 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Daniel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Disaster Master wrote on 23/01/2019 4:05 AM:
>
>>> And contrary to what many TDS sufferers think, this comment had nothing
>>> to do with a physical wall, much less one at the border.
>
>> Oh!! Really!! Surely you jest .... or Walt does!! Or Donald did!!
>
> Or you are now? Seriously, have you never heard of context? The context
> in which Trump said this, as well as the words pre and post, make it
> very clear.
>
> There is a thing called 'internet search'... try it some time.

"TDS"?? "Trump, Donald Syndrome"??

Yes, I am aware of "a thing called 'internet search'" ... and I have
done such ... when I saw any need for it!!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Disaster Master

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=TDS+trump

> Yes, I am aware of "a thing called 'internet search'" ... and I have
> done such ... when I saw any need for it!!

So, making bad ass-u-me-ptions (that Walts stupid quote of Trumps had
anything to do with 'the' wall) doesn't qualify as a need for it?

For those who give a shit, he was talking to some graduating students in
a 2004 ceremony, in very general terms, about not letting obstacles get
in your way of success.

Again, nothing whatsoever to do with a wall on the Border/ border security.

In other words... just more TDS   F A K E   N E W S

On 1/24/19 3:58 PM, Disaster Master wrote:

> On Thu Jan 24 2019 03:15:02 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Daniel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "TDS"?? "Trump, Donald Syndrome"??
>
> http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=TDS+trump
>
>> Yes, I am aware of "a thing called 'internet search'" ... and I have
>> done such ... when I saw any need for it!!
>
> So, making bad ass-u-me-ptions (that Walts stupid quote of Trumps had
> anything to do with 'the' wall) doesn't qualify as a need for it?
>
> For those who give a shit, he was talking to some graduating students in
> a 2004 ceremony, in very general terms, about not letting obstacles get
> in your way of success.
>
> Again, nothing whatsoever to do with a wall on the Border/ border security.
>
> In other words... just more TDS   F A K E   N E W S

Wouldn't a wall on the border be an obstacle to those that want to live
a better life in our wonderful country, where the Commerce Secretary
worth over $700 million dollars doesn't understand why federal workers
have to use food banks?

<https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wilbur-ross-doesnt-understand-why-federal-workers-are-using-food-banks/>

Doesn't matter if it is a mental or physical wall.

Didn't we open our arms to Vietnamese refugees during or after the
Vietnam War?

WaltS48 wrote on 25/01/2019 9:06 AM:

> On 1/24/19 3:58 PM, Disaster Master wrote:
>> On Thu Jan 24 2019 03:15:02 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Daniel
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> "TDS"?? "Trump, Donald Syndrome"??
>>
>> http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=TDS+trump
>>
>>> Yes, I am aware of "a thing called 'internet search'" ... and I have
>>> done such ... when I saw any need for it!!
>>
>> So, making bad ass-u-me-ptions (that Walts stupid quote of Trumps had
>> anything to do with 'the' wall) doesn't qualify as a need for it?
>>
>> For those who give a shit, he was talking to some graduating students in
>> a 2004 ceremony, in very general terms, about not letting obstacles get
>> in your way of success.
>>
>> Again, nothing whatsoever to do with a wall on the Border/ border
>> security.
>>
>> In other words... just more TDS   F A K E   N E W S
>
> Wouldn't a wall on the border be an obstacle to those that want to live
> a better life in our wonderful country, where the Commerce Secretary
> worth over $700 million dollars doesn't understand why federal workers
> have to use food banks?
>
> <https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wilbur-ross-doesnt-understand-why-federal-workers-are-using-food-banks/>
>
> Doesn't matter if it is a mental or physical wall.
>
> Didn't we open our arms to Vietnamese refugees during or after the
> Vietnam War?

Yes, Walt, but it could possible be argued that "WE" caused the outcome
of the Vietnam War. So accepted the refugees.

The current situation with 'refugees' is not of our making ... except
that Western Civilisation Standards of Living are somewhat better than
for Third World countries!!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Did Mozilla finally kill this group?

Disaster Master
On Thu Jan 24 2019 17:06:01 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wouldn't a wall on the border be an obstacle to those that want to live
> a better life in our wonderful country,
Wouldn't locked doors on your house be an obstacle to those who believe
they have a right to your stuff? What a stupid brain dead question. Of
course it is, and that is the point.

American Citizens have the Right to be here. Non-Citizens do not.

Name me one (free and prosperous) country that has open borders...

> where the Commerce Secretary worth over $700 million dollars doesn't
> understand why federal workers have to use food banks?

Or Nancy Pelosi goes on vacation during the 'shutdown' in Hawaii and
wants to spend millions more on a PR trip to 'visit the troops'.
Thankfully Trump canceled that 'junk'et.

But seriously... these workers have missed all of 2 paychecks. Anyone
who doesn't have enough savings set aside for at least 2 or 3 months of
living expenses has no one to blame but themselves.

I've read the sob stores of people getting evicted already - some even
days after missing their first check... sorry, but evictions take
months, so the vast majority of these sob stories is just more fake news.

> Doesn't matter if it is a mental or physical wall.

It matters if your intention is to push a false story that Trump used to
be against a border wall.

> Didn't we open our arms to Vietnamese refugees during or after the
> Vietnam War?

Not sure, before my time and don't know anything about it, but fail to
see your point. What does intentionally taking in a specific group for
specific reasons have to do with a border wall?