Descriptions on tree nodes not exposed?

Hans Hillen-3
Hi everyone,

I've noticed that when I attach a description to a tree node using
ARIA's describedby property, it does not get exposed in MSAA.

The example below shows basic code for a simple tree with only four
nodes (none nested). The tree itself is described by ID
"programsDescription". This description is correctly exposed. The first
tree item is described by ID "programDescription1", however the MSAA
description only shows the basic tree item description, e.g. "L1, 1 of
4". You can test using any MSAA checker or by using WindowEyes 5.5 or
higher.

The example is marked up as a list and uses the FF3 compatible syntax,
but the same applies to trees marked up as divs, tables, etc. The same
also applies to the 'old'  FF2 namespaced syntax. Just to check that the
syntax is correct, just replace the first 'treeitem' role with something
else, like 'button'. Now the description IS successfully exposed.

Is this a design choice, or is this a feature that still needs to be
added or fixed? Is there a reason why tree nodes should not be able to
have custom descriptions (I thought the 'describedby' property could be
used on all elements)? I have tried using 'labelledby' instead, but that
completely replaces the tree item text with the label text.

<h1><span id="treeDescription" role="wairole:description">TV program
Categories</span></h1>

<ul tabindex="0" class="axsTree" role="wairole:tree"
aria-describedby="treeDescription">
        <li tabindex="0" role="wairole:treeitem"
aria-describedby="programDescription1">Discussion</li>
        <li tabindex="0" role="wairole:treeitem">Sitcoms</li>
        <li tabindex="0" role="wairole:treeitem">Reality</li>
        <li tabindex="0" role="wairole:treeitem">Drama</li>
</ul>
description for discussion programs:
politics</span>

regards,

Hans Hillen

Re: Descriptions on tree nodes not exposed?

Aaron Leventhal-3
Hans, please open a bug for this issue. With IAccessible2 we have a new
method called groupPosition() which lets us expose the level, position
in set and setsize of a given node. That frees up the description field
to be used for what it was originally intended.

- Aaron