Default/Fixed Values in XML Schemas

drian-2
Hello

Does FF ignore default or fixed values in XML schemas? When processing
an XML document using XSLT, the default/fixed values from the
specified schemas are not available. This makes it necessary to
explicitely set the values in the document without relying on the
default/fixed values from the schema.

I pasted the relevant files on pastebin:

* the XML document http://pastebin.ca/473796
* the XML schema http://pastebin.ca/473799
* the XSLT document http://pastebin.ca/473797

If you save those to disk and open the XML Document with FF, you get
an empty xhtml document, because the default/fixed value from the
schema is not used. Now if you edit the XML Document and uncomment the
2nd root element that explicitely sets the value, the document will be
transformed correctly and you will see a h1 containing some text.

Any ideas?

Adrian Henke

Re: Default/Fixed Values in XML Schemas

Martin Honnen-3
[hidden email] wrote:

> Does FF ignore default or fixed values in XML schemas?

I think FF so far ignores XML schemas completely. Its XML parser is
expat which does not even have validation support for DTDs and certainly
not for XSD schemas.

--

        Martin Honnen
        http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Re: Default/Fixed Values in XML Schemas

drian-2
> I think FF so far ignores XML schemas completely. Its XML parser is
> expat which does not even have validation support for DTDs and certainly
> not for XSD schemas.

Thanks for pointing that out. Hm.. that makes a whole set of xml docs
useless for the use in FF. As workaround, I will need to build the
default/fixed value logic into the transformation to catch those
related attributes/elements... ugly.

[hidden email] wrote:
>> I think FF so far ignores XML schemas completely. Its XML parser is
>> expat which does not even have validation support for DTDs and certainly
>> not for XSD schemas.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. Hm.. that makes a whole set of xml docs
> useless for the use in FF.

Just curious, which browser supports client-side XSLT and XSD schemas? I
know that IE 6 and later, Firefox/Mozilla and Opera 9 support
client-side XSLT but as far as I am aware none of them supports XSD
schemas. So which browser are you using that supports both XSLT and XSD?

--

        Martin Honnen
        http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Re: Default/Fixed Values in XML Schemas

Alex Vincent
[hidden email] wrote:
>> I think FF so far ignores XML schemas completely. Its XML parser is
>> expat which does not even have validation support for DTDs and certainly
>> not for XSD schemas.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. Hm.. that makes a whole set of xml docs
> useless for the use in FF. As workaround, I will need to build the
> default/fixed value logic into the transformation to catch those
> related attributes/elements... ugly.

There is the schema-validation extension which the XForms extension
uses.  You might ping smaug about that.