Default Date Ordering

Kirk Madera
It makes much more sense to me to order messages from newest to oldest.
I currently have to switch the Date ordering of every single folder I
create to newest > oldest. Why is this not the default? As much as it
may make sense to see messages chronologically, I don't want to have to
scroll to the bottom every time I open an inbox.

Re: Default Date Ordering

Daniel-24
Kirk Madera wrote:
> It makes much more sense to me to order messages from newest to oldest.
> I currently have to switch the Date ordering of every single folder I
> create to newest > oldest. Why is this not the default? As much as it
> may make sense to see messages chronologically, I don't want to have to
> scroll to the bottom every time I open an inbox.

Don't know about Thunderbird, but in SeaMonkey (and I think, Mozilla
Suite beforehand), if you click on the header of the Date column, it
changes from "Oldest to Newest" to "Newest to Oldest".

I don't know if that setting would stick, but I expect so.

HTH

Daniel

Re: Default Date Ordering

Neil-4
Daniel wrote:

> Kirk Madera wrote:
>
>> It makes much more sense to me to order messages from newest to
>> oldest. I currently have to switch the Date ordering of every single
>> folder I create to newest > oldest. Why is this not the default? As
>> much as it may make sense to see messages chronologically, I don't
>> want to have to scroll to the bottom every time I open an inbox.
>
> Don't know about Thunderbird, but in SeaMonkey (and I think, Mozilla
> Suite beforehand), if you click on the header of the Date column, it
> changes from "Oldest to Newest" to "Newest to Oldest".
>
> I don't know if that setting would stick, but I expect so.

It only sticks for existing folders. The OP was creating folders. That
said, I always thought that either package would scroll to the newest
message if you don't remember the last selected message.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Re: Default Date Ordering

Kirk Madera
Neil wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>
>> Kirk Madera wrote:
>>
>>> It makes much more sense to me to order messages from newest to
>>> oldest. I currently have to switch the Date ordering of every single
>>> folder I create to newest > oldest. Why is this not the default? As
>>> much as it may make sense to see messages chronologically, I don't
>>> want to have to scroll to the bottom every time I open an inbox.
>>
>> Don't know about Thunderbird, but in SeaMonkey (and I think, Mozilla
>> Suite beforehand), if you click on the header of the Date column, it
>> changes from "Oldest to Newest" to "Newest to Oldest".
>>
>> I don't know if that setting would stick, but I expect so.
>
> It only sticks for existing folders. The OP was creating folders. That
> said, I always thought that either package would scroll to the newest
> message if you don't remember the last selected message.

Never really paid attention to the fact that it selects the most recent
message. May just need to get used to looking at messages oldest to
newest. Trying it out for a little while.

Re: Default Date Ordering

Daniel-24
Neil wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>
>> Kirk Madera wrote:
>>
>>> It makes much more sense to me to order messages from newest to
>>> oldest. I currently have to switch the Date ordering of every single
>>> folder I create to newest > oldest. Why is this not the default? As
>>> much as it may make sense to see messages chronologically, I don't
>>> want to have to scroll to the bottom every time I open an inbox.
>>
>> Don't know about Thunderbird, but in SeaMonkey (and I think, Mozilla
>> Suite beforehand), if you click on the header of the Date column, it
>> changes from "Oldest to Newest" to "Newest to Oldest".
>>
>> I don't know if that setting would stick, but I expect so.
>
> It only sticks for existing folders. The OP was creating folders. That
> said, I always thought that either package would scroll to the newest
> message if you don't remember the last selected message.

Sorry, Niel. When you type "It only sticks for existing folders", do you
mean it only sticks for folders brought in from Mozilla Suite?

Daniel

Re: Default Date Ordering

Neil-4
Daniel wrote:

> When you type "It only sticks for existing folders", do you mean it
> only sticks for folders brought in from Mozilla Suite?

No, I mean that when you create a folder it gets a default set of
settings which aren't the ones the OP wanted.

Neil wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> When you type "It only sticks for existing folders", do you mean it
>> only sticks for folders brought in from Mozilla Suite?
>
> No, I mean that when you create a folder it gets a default set of
> settings which aren't the ones the OP wanted.

Right. But then you can click on the column header and it should stay
that way.

I think.

Daniel

Re: Default Date Ordering

Daniel Brooks
Daniel <[hidden email]> writes:

> Neil wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>
>>> When you type "It only sticks for existing folders", do you mean it
>>> only sticks for folders brought in from Mozilla Suite?
>>
>> No, I mean that when you create a folder it gets a default set of
>> settings which aren't the ones the OP wanted.
>>

> Right. But then you can click on the column header and it should stay
> that way.
>
> I think.
>
> Daniel

Sure, it'll stay that way for that folder. However, if you then create
another new folder, that new folder gets the default settings, and you
have to click the column header again when you view the contents of
that folder..

db48x

Re: Default Date Ordering

Daniel-24
Daniel Brooks wrote:

> Daniel <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Neil wrote:

>>> No, I mean that when you create a folder it gets a default set of
>>> settings which aren't the ones the OP wanted.
>>>
>> Right. But then you can click on the column header and it should stay
>> that way.
>>
>> I think.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Sure, it'll stay that way for that folder. However, if you then create
> another new folder, that new folder gets the default settings, and you
> have to click the column header again when you view the contents of
> that folder..
>
> db48x

WOW!!! one extra click! Gee, thats sooo hard.  Unless your making a
couple of thousand folders, I suppose.

Daniel

Re: Default Date Ordering

user-41
sometime in the recent past Daniel posted this:

> Kirk Madera wrote:
>> It makes much more sense to me to order messages from newest to
>> oldest. I currently have to switch the Date ordering of every single
>> folder I create to newest > oldest. Why is this not the default? As
>> much as it may make sense to see messages chronologically, I don't
>> want to have to scroll to the bottom every time I open an inbox.
>
> Don't know about Thunderbird, but in SeaMonkey (and I think, Mozilla
> Suite beforehand), if you click on the header of the Date column, it
> changes from "Oldest to Newest" to "Newest to Oldest".
>
> I don't know if that setting would stick, but I expect so.
>
> HTH
>
> Daniel
It does.

Re: Default Date Ordering

Miles-4
* Daniel wrote, On 4/19/2007 05:01:

> Daniel Brooks wrote:
>> Daniel <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Right. But then you can click on the column header and it should stay
>>> that way.
>>>
>>> I think.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>> Sure, it'll stay that way for that folder. However, if you then create
>> another new folder, that new folder gets the default settings, and you
>> have to click the column header again when you view the contents of
>> that folder..
>>
>> db48x
>
> WOW!!! one extra click! Gee, thats sooo hard.  Unless your making a
> couple of thousand folders, I suppose.
>
> Daniel

I went through a few years of changing thousands of folders.  Every time
TB was updated (this has since been corrected), for every single msg
folder (and I have about 100 in kept mail) I would need to go into
View/Sort by and change Ascending to Descending & Unthreaded to
Threaded.  If this programming hadn't been corrected I would not be
using TB today!

How many people really want to see their msgs Ascending?  Perhaps a bug
report should be made in order to see how many votes it gathers?
Miles

Re: Default Date Ordering

Herre de Jonge
Miles wrote:

> * Daniel wrote, On 4/19/2007 05:01:
>> Daniel Brooks wrote:

>>> Sure, it'll stay that way for that folder. However, if you then create
>>> another new folder, that new folder gets the default settings, and you
>>> have to click the column header again when you view the contents of
>>> that folder..
>>>
>>> db48x
>>
>> WOW!!! one extra click! Gee, thats sooo hard.  Unless your making a
>> couple of thousand folders, I suppose.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I went through a few years of changing thousands of folders.  Every time
> TB was updated (this has since been corrected), for every single msg
> folder (and I have about 100 in kept mail) I would need to go into
> View/Sort by and change Ascending to Descending & Unthreaded to
> Threaded.  If this programming hadn't been corrected I would not be
> using TB today!
>
> How many people really want to see their msgs Ascending?  Perhaps a bug
> report should be made in order to see how many votes it gathers?
> Miles

Exactly. Sometimes I quickly sort on something else (e.g., Sender) to
sort on date again I have to click the date column twice. I have
always felt that this should be only one click.

(But for news accounts I prefer threaded + date ascending, however
it would be best if the threads were sorted on the most recent message
in the thread)

Herre

Re: Default Date Ordering

Neil-4
Herre de Jonge wrote:

> But for news accounts I prefer threaded + date ascending, however it
> would be best if the threads were sorted on the most recent message in
> the thread

They are; if you want them sorted on the oldest message in the thread
then you actually have to choose the "Order Received" sort.

Note that threads aren't automatically reordered as new news arrives.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Re: Default Date Ordering

Emmanuel E
I would prefer it if the default date order is based on the incoming mail server receive date, rather than the originating mail server send date. A lot of spam servers pre date or future date their emails and it is a pain to locate them unless one moves to order received sort.

Outlook Express does this and i think that is the sane thing to do.

Emmanuel E wrote:

> I would prefer it if the default date order is based on the incoming
> mail server receive date, rather than the originating mail server send
> date. A lot of spam servers pre date or future date their emails and
> it is a pain to locate them unless one moves to order received sort.

Try changing mailnews.default_sort_type to 21 (in prefs.js or config
editor or whatever.)

Kirk Madera wrote:

> It makes much more sense to me to order messages from newest to
> oldest. I currently have to switch the Date ordering of every single
> folder I create to newest > oldest. Why is this not the default? As
> much as it may make sense to see messages chronologically, I don't
> want to have to scroll to the bottom every time I open an inbox.

You can reverse the default for new folders; change
mailnews.default_sort_order to 2 in prefs.js or config editor (for newly
subscribed newsgroups use mailnews.default_news_sort_order).

Neil wrote:

> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>
>> But for news accounts I prefer threaded + date ascending, however it
>> would be best if the threads were sorted on the most recent message in
>> the thread
>
> They are; if you want them sorted on the oldest message in the thread
> then you actually have to choose the "Order Received" sort.
>
> Note that threads aren't automatically reordered as new news arrives.

Aha! Up to now I always clicked on the columns to change the sort
order. The key is the View>Sort menu. This makes it possible to set
the sorting as I want. (Now let's see if it's as great as I imagine
it to be.)

When clicking on the Threaded column, the sorting on date is lost,
but the Sort menu works different.

Thanks,
    Herre

Re: Default Date Ordering

Neil-4
Herre de Jonge wrote:

> Aha! Up to now I always clicked on the columns to change the sort
> order. The key is the View>Sort menu. This makes it possible to set
> the sorting as I want. (Now let's see if it's as great as I imagine it
> to be.)
>
> When clicking on the Threaded column, the sorting on date is lost, but
> the Sort menu works different.

Ah yes, that always confuses people. There's a preference to make the
columns work the same way as the menu (I believe this will be the
default in Thunderbird 3).

* Neil wrote, On 4/8/2008 09:51:

> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>
>> Aha! Up to now I always clicked on the columns to change the sort
>> order. The key is the View>Sort menu. This makes it possible to set
>> the sorting as I want. (Now let's see if it's as great as I imagine it
>> to be.)
>>
>> When clicking on the Threaded column, the sorting on date is lost, but
>> the Sort menu works different.
>
> Ah yes, that always confuses people. There's a preference to make the
> columns work the same way as the menu (I believe this will be the
> default in Thunderbird 3).

And where might that preference be located?

Re: Default Date Ordering

Neil-4
Miles wrote:

> * Neil wrote, On 4/8/2008 09:51:
>
>> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>>
>>> Aha! Up to now I always clicked on the columns to change the sort
>>> order. The key is the View>Sort menu. This makes it possible to set
>>> the sorting as I want. (Now let's see if it's as great as I imagine
>>> it to be.)
>>>
>>> When clicking on the Threaded column, the sorting on date is lost,
>>> but the Sort menu works different.
>>
>> Ah yes, that always confuses people. There's a preference to make the
>> columns work the same way as the menu (I believe this will be the
>> default in Thunderbird 3).
>
> And where might that preference be located?

mailnews.thread_pane_column_unthreads ("true" means old behaviour,
"false" means work the same way as the menu).

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.