Default Calendar Data File Location?

croy
What is the default location for Thunderbird calendar data
files?

--
croy

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

Jörg Knobloch
On 18/02/2017 21:59, croy wrote:
> What is the default location for Thunderbird calendar data
> files?

A folder called "calendar-data" in your profile.

Jörg.

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

croy
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 22:02:28 +0100, Jörg Knobloch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 18/02/2017 21:59, croy wrote:
>> What is the default location for Thunderbird calendar data
>> files?
>
>A folder called "calendar-data" in your profile.

Can it be moved, without ruining something?

On 18/02/2017 22:30, croy wrote:
> Can it be moved, without ruining something?

I don't understand the question. If you move the folder, surely, TB
won't find the data and can't show the calendar.

Jörg.

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

croy
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 22:40:14 +0100, Jörg Knobloch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 18/02/2017 22:30, croy wrote:
>> Can it be moved, without ruining something?
>
>I don't understand the question. If you move the folder, surely, TB
>won't find the data and can't show the calendar.

After rolling back an image of my C: drive, I see that my
recent calendar entries have disappeared.  this doens't work
for me.  I would like to move the calendar store to my d:
drive (and use it from there), so I can roll back my C:
image without losing calendar stuff.

I may have it sorted:  I exported the calendar to my d:
drive, and went to config and found where the path to the
data is stored and changed it to my d: drive--it seems to
work.  Then I noticed in the calendar view that there is a
place to do this--I just didn't understand it before.

--
croy

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

Disaster Master
On Sat Feb 18 2017 16:52:34 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), croy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I may have it sorted:  I exported the calendar to my d:
> drive, and went to config and found where the path to the
> data is stored and changed it to my d: drive--it seems to
> work.  Then I noticed in the calendar view that there is a
> place to do this--I just didn't understand it before.

Hmmm, where would this be? I don't see anything that allows me to define
the data location for the calendar.

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

WaltS48-3
On 02/20/2017 07:47 AM, Disaster Master wrote:

> On Sat Feb 18 2017 16:52:34 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), croy
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I may have it sorted:  I exported the calendar to my d:
>> drive, and went to config and found where the path to the
>> data is stored and changed it to my d: drive--it seems to
>> work.  Then I noticed in the calendar view that there is a
>> place to do this--I just didn't understand it before.
>
> Hmmm, where would this be? I don't see anything that allows me to define
> the data location for the calendar.

Select the calendar, right click, open Properties,

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

Disaster Master
On Mon Feb 20 2017 09:53:21 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), WaltS48
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/20/2017 07:47 AM, Disaster Master wrote:
>>> place to do this--I just didn't understand it before.
>> Hmmm, where would this be? I don't see anything that allows me to define
>> the data location for the calendar.
> Select the calendar, right click, open Properties,

Don't see anything there that allows me to change the location.

For online calendars, it looks something like:

googleapi://[hidden email]/?calendar=email%40gmail.com

For local calendars, it just says "moz-storage-calendar://"

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

Philipp Kewisch-2
On 2/20/17 1:47 PM, Disaster Master wrote:

> On Sat Feb 18 2017 16:52:34 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), croy
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I may have it sorted:  I exported the calendar to my d:
>> drive, and went to config and found where the path to the
>> data is stored and changed it to my d: drive--it seems to
>> work.  Then I noticed in the calendar view that there is a
>> place to do this--I just didn't understand it before.
>
> Hmmm, where would this be? I don't see anything that allows me to define
> the data location for the calendar.

You cannot change the location of the built in storage calendar
directly, but you can put your whole profile into a different folder.

If the plan is to move relevant data to the D: drive then I'd suggest
moving C:\Users to D:\Users, because then you can delete the C: drive
without needing to backup your documents separately. There are some
extra hoops involved, please search the internet for tutorials.

If you don't want to do that you can move just the Thunderbird profile,
see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder for details.

If you don't want to do that you can create an ICS calendar at a
location of your choosing. To do so, export your calendar as an .ics
file anywhere you like, then do File > Open > Calendar File and navigate
to the location. Once you have verified that events show up twice in
your calendar, you can delete the original storage calendar. Profile
backups just in case are suggested.

Philipp

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

opto
>you can create an ICS calendar

... in my experience, that does not always work reliably on Win 7 if there are multiple calendars (maybe I have too many - ca. 7 - but not so many events?). Once in a while (twice a year?), TB and/or Win 7 crash, and then for one of the calendars the entries are gone. Fortunately, if the ics directory is synced, they are still stored elsewhere... At the moment, one of the ics calendars sets itself write protected every few days (Win 10 32 bit), but the file is not write protected and local.

Klaus

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

opto
calendar - roperties

there I have:
name
colour
address ->filename
... and others.

maybe address only comes up if it is an ics calendar from start.
There is an extension to backup as ics, then just make a new calendar.

Re: Default Calendar Data File Location?

Disaster Master
On Tue Feb 21 2017 02:00:59 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Philipp
Kewisch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/20/17 1:47 PM, Disaster Master wrote:
>> On Sat Feb 18 2017 16:52:34 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), croy
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I may have it sorted:  I exported the calendar to my d:
>>> drive, and went to config and found where the path to the
>>> data is stored and changed it to my d: drive--it seems to
>>> work.  Then I noticed in the calendar view that there is a
>>> place to do this--I just didn't understand it before.
>> Hmmm, where would this be? I don't see anything that allows me to define
>> the data location for the calendar.
>>
> You cannot change the location of the built in storage calendar
> directly, but you can put your whole profile into a different folder.

Thanks, I'm fully aware of that. I was asking specifically about the
comment that said there was a place 'in the calendar view' to change the
data path.

Still waiting on an answer.