Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

Prescience500 (Bugzilla)
I read that Google has begun developing a new web language called Dart
to eventually replace javascript. This could potentially be really
exciting, but they are doing it in secret instead of in the open with
open processes. Any thoughts?

Re: Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

glad2be
On 09/14/2011 02:51 AM, Michael B. wrote:
> I read that Google has begun developing a new web language called Dart
> to eventually replace javascript. This could potentially be really
> exciting, but they are doing it in secret instead of in the open with
> open processes. Any thoughts?

if they are doing it in secret, how did you find out?

--
peace out. tc, hago.

walking the walk. long live tux.

.

Re: Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

Jay Garcia
On 13.09.2011 22:12, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 09/14/2011 02:51 AM, Michael B. wrote:
>> I read that Google has begun developing a new web language called Dart
>> to eventually replace javascript. This could potentially be really
>> exciting, but they are doing it in secret instead of in the open with
>> open processes. Any thoughts?
>
> if they are doing it in secret, how did you find out?

Google is your friend:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/development/web/231601337

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion*
www.ufaq.org

On 09/14/2011 03:23 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 13.09.2011 22:12, [hidden email] wrote:
>> On 09/14/2011 02:51 AM, Michael B. wrote:
>>> I read that Google has begun developing a new web language called Dart
>>> to eventually replace javascript. This could potentially be really
>>> exciting, but they are doing it in secret instead of in the open with
>>> open processes. Any thoughts?
>>
>> if they are doing it in secret, how did you find out?
>
> Google is your friend:
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/development/web/231601337
then it really is not a *secret*.

--
peace out. tc, hago.

walking the walk. long live tux.

.

Re: Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

clay-14
On 09/13/2011 9:25 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 09/14/2011 03:23 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>
>>>  if they are doing it in secret, how did you find out?
>>
>>  Google is your friend:
>>
>>  http://www.informationweek.com/news/development/web/231601337
>
> then it really is not a *secret*.

was to me...

On 09/14/2011 05:19 AM, clay wrote:

>>>  Google is your friend:
>>>
>>>  http://www.informationweek.com/news/development/web/231601337
>> then it really is not a *secret*.
>
> was to me...
lol.

life is a secret to you. 8_)

--
peace out. tc, hago.

walking the walk. long live tux.

.

Re: Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

Ron Hunter
On 9/13/2011 10:23 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 13.09.2011 22:12, [hidden email] wrote:

It might be an uphill battle to get a new script language to replace
Javascript if the details of its features, and use aren't made public.
Do we really need this?

On 09/13/2011 10:12 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> On 09/14/2011 02:51 AM, Michael B. wrote:
>> I read that Google has begun developing a new web language called Dart
>> to eventually replace javascript. This could potentially be really
>> exciting, but they are doing it in secret instead of in the open with
>> open processes. Any thoughts?
>
> if they are doing it in secret, how did you find out?

Funny,lol. I didn't mean they were keeping it secret from the public so
much as keeping the language itself and what not from the public. In
other words keeping it "proprietary" and behind closed doors, though
they seem to want to keep open source it. Kinda like when politicians
announce they are having discussions with the other party on something
and then some time later announce the result.

Re: Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
9/13/2011 7:51 PM:
> I read that Google has begun developing a new web language called Dart
> to eventually replace javascript. This could potentially be really
> exciting, but they are doing it in secret instead of in the open with
> open processes. Any thoughts?

It will be a bigger mountain to climb than was Wave which crested and
fizzled out (apologies for the several awful mixed metaphors used in
that sentence construction.) Javascript has transcended its browser
client roots and is now being used for server-side programming with
Node.js being the most notable of these. There is also huge libraries of
extended functionality using the Ajax technologies with, perhaps, jQuery
being the most known among these.

With that said, they could still do it; especially, if they concentrate
on gorilla tactics and target the Android mobile platforms over the PC
platforms.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

Reverend Ozone-2
On 9/14/2011 08:19, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
> 9/13/2011 7:51 PM:
>> I read that Google has begun developing a new web language called
>> Dart to eventually replace javascript. This could potentially be
>> really exciting, but they are doing it in secret instead of in the
>> open with open processes. Any thoughts?
>
> It will be a bigger mountain to climb than was Wave which crested and
> fizzled out (apologies for the several awful mixed metaphors used in
> that sentence construction.) Javascript has transcended its browser
> client roots and is now being used for server-side programming with
> Node.js being the most notable of these. There is also huge libraries
> of extended functionality using the Ajax technologies with, perhaps,
> jQuery being the most known among these.
>
> With that said, they could still do it; especially, if they
> concentrate on gorilla tactics and target the Android mobile platforms
> over the PC platforms.

"gorilla tactics"?

Another mixed metaphor?

Methinks you meant "guerrilla", me boyo....

Even then.... hehe  :D

--
Reverend Ozone
"Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum"

Re: Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Reverend Ozone graced us with on
9/14/2011 10:22 AM:

> On 9/14/2011 08:19, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
>> 9/13/2011 7:51 PM:
>>> I read that Google has begun developing a new web language called
>>> Dart to eventually replace javascript. This could potentially be
>>> really exciting, but they are doing it in secret instead of in the
>>> open with open processes. Any thoughts?
>>
>> It will be a bigger mountain to climb than was Wave which crested and
>> fizzled out (apologies for the several awful mixed metaphors used in
>> that sentence construction.) Javascript has transcended its browser
>> client roots and is now being used for server-side programming with
>> Node.js being the most notable of these. There is also huge libraries
>> of extended functionality using the Ajax technologies with, perhaps,
>> jQuery being the most known among these.
>>
>> With that said, they could still do it; especially, if they
>> concentrate on gorilla tactics and target the Android mobile platforms
>> over the PC platforms.
>>

> "gorilla tactics"?
>
> Another mixed metaphor?
>
> Methinks you meant "guerrilla", me boyo....
>
> Even then.... hehe  :D

nah, that one was a bona fide screw-up on my part :_)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Dart developed in secret to replace javascript?

glad2be
On 09/14/2011 07:40 AM, Michael B. wrote:
<>

> Funny,lol.

glad you enjoyed it.

> I didn't mean they were keeping it secret from the public so
> much as keeping the language itself and what not from the public. In
> other words keeping it "proprietary" and behind closed doors, though
> they seem to want to keep open source it.

that kind of 'secret' just makes it a little harder to get hold of.

there is always 'reverse engineering'. a 'free software' actives working
for google would be even better. ;)

> Kinda like when politicians announce they are having discussions with
> the other party on something and then some time later announce the result.

i thought that is what 'wikileaks' is for. :-)

i am waiting for someone to leak out "sears satellite, russian laser
cannon, renegotiations with china and embargo".

shooting jal airliner that crossed into russian territory would be nice, too.