DNS Round Robin Handling

Zippy Zeppoli
Hi List,
I was wondering, how does Necko (if thats the proper layer) handle DNS
round robin.
If it hits a webserver which resolves but times out, will it automatically
fail over to the other IP?
What are the stats for the timeout?

PS - I think using only DNS round robin as a failover method is a pisspoor
idea, unless you manage your own DNS.

Cheers,

Re: DNS Round Robin Handling

Eric H. Jung
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Zippy Zeppoli <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi List,
> I was wondering, how does Necko (if thats the proper layer) handle DNS
> round robin.
> If it hits a webserver which resolves but times out, will it automatically
> fail over to the other IP?
> What are the stats for the timeout?
>
> PS - I think using only DNS round robin as a failover method is a pisspoor
> idea, unless you manage your own DNS.

It's my understanding that DNS resolution, caching, and failover are all
handled at the operating system layer, not the application layer.
gethostbyname(), getaddrinfo(), etc. are the APIs through which
applications retrieve DNS info.

eric

Re: DNS Round Robin Handling

Christian Biesinger-2
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Zippy Zeppoli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was wondering, how does Necko (if thats the proper layer) handle DNS
> round robin.
> If it hits a webserver which resolves but times out, will it automatically
> fail over to the other IP?
> What are the stats for the timeout?

Firefox does fail over when it gets a connection error from the host.
As for timeouts, I believe we just use whatever the OS timeout is for
the connect() call.

-christian

Re: DNS Round Robin Handling

Jason Duell-3
On 07/05/2012 07:19 PM, Eric H. Jung wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Zippy Zeppoli <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> It's my understanding that DNS resolution, caching, and failover are all
> handled at the operating system layer, not the application layer.
> gethostbyname(), getaddrinfo(), etc. are the APIs through which
> applications retrieve DNS info.

This is true now, but we're seriously looking into incorporating a DNS
resolver into the browser so we have more control over performance and
features.  It's likely that we'll move on that front in the not very
distant future...

Jason

Re: DNS Round Robin Handling

Zippy Zeppoli