Cross-platform sunbird extension

julozi
Hi all,

I'm developing an extension for sunbird 0.2. This extension contains an
C++ XPCOM component. My extension is supposed to work on Linux, Mac OS
and Windows.
I'm using the same identic hierarchy for all versions of my extensions
XPI package, the librairie is the only peace changing from on package
to another (synchro.dll for Windows, synchro.so for Linux and
synchro.dylib for Mac OS).
The extension is installed successfully and work fine on Windows,
however, on Linux and Mac OS the XPCOM is not registered properly (it
doesn't come up in the compreg.dat file) and I can't find any way to
make sunbird register my component.

I'm working on sunbird-0.2-i686-pc-linux-gnu on Linux.
I use the following command to install my extension in Sunbird :
$ ./sunbird -install-global-extension synchroSunbirdLinux.xpi

Hips of thanks in advance for your help !

Julien

Re: Cross-platform sunbird extension

julozi
The extension is supposed to synchronize Sunbird calendar with a Syncml
server. It is actually a libre software that will be released under
CeCILL licence but it's not avaible for download yet.

Re: Cross-platform sunbird extension

Rod Whiteley
julozi wrote:
> I'm developing an extension for sunbird 0.2...

Sunbird 0.3 might be easier.  The extension manager is broken in 0.2,
and one of the effects of this might be......

> ...on Linux and Mac OS the XPCOM is not registered properly...

There are other places you might ask about the problem--the Extensions
forum and either of the mozdev groups:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=19

Rod Whiteley

Re: Cross-platform sunbird extension

julozi
There is no project page yet.
Actually we will certainly need tester once the extension will install
successfully on all plateform. But I still have that component
registration issue for now.
Does anyone know what could fix it ?

Julien

Re: Cross-platform sunbird extension

Dan Mosedale
julozi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm developing an extension for sunbird 0.2. This extension contains an
> C++ XPCOM component. My extension is supposed to work on Linux, Mac OS
> and Windows.

I would strongly suggest that you switch to using 0.3a1 and newer for
your extension.  The calendar backend code has changed quite
significantly, and is a fair bit cleaner now.

Dan

Re: Cross-platform sunbird extension

julozi
I have tried to install my extension on sunbird 0.3a but my component
doesn't get register either. Sunbird is supposed to register my
component automatically. The component directory
(.mozilla/sunbird/fqmbo0ek.default/extensions/{cf926b9a-426a-83b1-9956-90c1823fddf6}/components)
and the xpt interface appear in my xpti.dat file but my C++ librairy
(libsynchroSunbird.so) is not register (nothing in the compreg.dat
file).
Could it be something wring in my librairy ?

julozi wrote:
> I have tried to install my extension on sunbird 0.3a but my component
> doesn't get register either. Sunbird is supposed to register my
> component automatically. The component directory
> (.mozilla/sunbird/fqmbo0ek.default/extensions/{cf926b9a-426a-83b1-9956-90c1823fddf6}/components)
> and the xpt interface appear in my xpti.dat file but my C++ librairy
> (libsynchroSunbird.so) is not register (nothing in the compreg.dat
> file).
> Could it be something wring in my librairy ?

Hmmm... if you're on Linux, you might try using LD_DEBUG environment
variable of ld.so to help sort out where the registration is going
wrong.  Failing that, it could be an ABI mismatch of some sort.  You
might try building your extension against headers from the CVS trunk.

Dan