Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

David Boles-2

Re: Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 7/12/2012
10:14 AM:
> <http://www.zdnet.com/cross-platform-trojan-checks-your-os-attacks-windows-mac-linux-7000000656/>

Another reason affirming my decision to disable Java several years back
without yet finding a need to re-enable it.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
David wrote:

> <http://www.zdnet.com/cross-platform-trojan-checks-your-os-attacks-
windows-mac-linux-7000000656/>

Shoot yerself in the foot!

"When you first visit such a compromised site, you are prompted to install
the Java applet, which unsurprisingly hasn't been signed with a
certificate. "

Do you say "Yes, sure, go ahead and infest me?"   :-)

--
   -bts

Re: Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

PhillipJones
Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 7/12/2012
> 10:14 AM:
>> <http://www.zdnet.com/cross-platform-trojan-checks-your-os-attacks-windows-mac-linux-7000000656/>
>>

> Another reason affirming my decision to disable Java several years back
> without yet finding a need to re-enable it.

Nice of that fellow for everyone to see.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

RAV-2
On 7/12/2012 1:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 7/12/2012
> 10:14 AM:
>> <http://www.zdnet.com/cross-platform-trojan-checks-your-os-attacks-windows-mac-linux-7000000656/>
>>

> Another reason affirming my decision to disable Java several years back
> without yet finding a need to re-enable it.

One thing I've found that doesn't work without Java enabled is Secunia's
Online Software Inspector
(http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/).  Of course, I can
turn Java on and off as needed.

Re: Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Rav graced us with on 7/12/2012
1:32 PM:

> On 7/12/2012 1:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 7/12/2012
>> 10:14 AM:
>>> <http://www.zdnet.com/cross-platform-trojan-checks-your-os-attacks-windows-mac-linux-7000000656/>
>>>

>> Another reason affirming my decision to disable Java several years back
>> without yet finding a need to re-enable it.
>>

> One thing I've found that doesn't work without Java enabled is Secunia's
> Online Software Inspector
> (http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/).  Of course, I can
> turn Java on and off as needed.

That's not a problem for me since the malware software I have is Windows
Security Essentials.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

Ron Hunter
On 7/12/2012 12:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 7/12/2012
> 10:14 AM:
>> <http://www.zdnet.com/cross-platform-trojan-checks-your-os-attacks-windows-mac-linux-7000000656/>
>>

> Another reason affirming my decision to disable Java several years back
> without yet finding a need to re-enable it.

I have one speed check app that uses it, so I keep it around, even
though I rarely use that speed check.

Re: Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

Sailfish-2
7/12/2012 6:09 PM:

> On 7/12/2012 12:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 7/12/2012
>> 10:14 AM:
>>> <http://www.zdnet.com/cross-platform-trojan-checks-your-os-attacks-windows-mac-linux-7000000656/>
>>>

>> Another reason affirming my decision to disable Java several years back
>> without yet finding a need to re-enable it.
>>
> I have one speed check app that uses it, so I keep it around, even
> though I rarely use that speed check.

My favorite:
http://speedtest.net/

On 7/12/2012 9:52 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 7/12/2012 6:09 PM:
>> On 7/12/2012 12:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 7/12/2012
>>> 10:14 AM:
>>>>

>>> Another reason affirming my decision to disable Java several years back
>>> without yet finding a need to re-enable it.
>>>
>> I have one speed check app that uses it, so I keep it around, even
>> though I rarely use that speed check.
>>
> My favorite:
> http://speedtest.net/

That's the one I use most of the time.  The Java one is used by my ISP,
and only goes to their local server, so it provides the closest server
to test from.  Does a lot more detailed test.

Re: Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

Daniel-257
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 7/12/2012 6:09 PM:
>> On 7/12/2012 12:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 7/12/2012
>>> 10:14 AM:
>>>>

>>> Another reason affirming my decision to disable Java several years back
>>> without yet finding a need to re-enable it.
>>>
>> I have one speed check app that uses it, so I keep it around, even
>> though I rarely use that speed check.
>>
> My favorite:
> http://speedtest.net/

Ping 221mS, Download 2.08Mbps, Upload 0.33Mbps

Too bad it thinks I'm in Adelaide, South Australia!! Think I'd prefer
the one I used last time, which had me at The Gold Coast, Queensland!!

--
Daniel

On 7/13/2012 5:41 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> I have one speed check app that uses it, so I keep it around, even
>>> though I rarely use that speed check.
>>>
>> My favorite:
>> http://speedtest.net/
>>

> Ping 221mS, Download 2.08Mbps, Upload 0.33Mbps
>
> Too bad it thinks I'm in Adelaide, South Australia!! Think I'd prefer
> the one I used last time, which had me at The Gold Coast, Queensland!!

Ping 20ms, Download 18.91mbps, Uload 3.23 mbps.  My ISP lets me have all
the available free bandwidth (cable) for the first 5 seconds (32mpbs),
so the usual download speed is more like 3.3 MB/second.

Re: Cross-platform Trojan checks your OS: Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux | ZDNet

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/13/2012
3:41 AM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> I have one speed check app that uses it, so I keep it around, even
>>> though I rarely use that speed check.
>>>
>> My favorite:
>> http://speedtest.net/
>>

> Ping 221mS, Download 2.08Mbps, Upload 0.33Mbps

Ping 67mS, Download  2.57Mbps, Upload 0.42Mbps - AT&T    DSL
Ping 27mS, Download 27.64Mbps, Upload 3.13Mbps - Charter Cable

Why 2 broadband hookups, you ponder? Long story: uninteresting. Short
story: AT&T has got me contractually bonded for another 7 months.

> Too bad it thinks I'm in Adelaide, South Australia!! Think I'd prefer
> the one I used last time, which had me at The Gold Coast, Queensland!!

Mine has me in San Luis Obispo county which is true but not very precise :)