Creating a valgrind-enabled C-C TB binary on try-comm-central ?

Creating a valgrind-enabled C-C TB binary on try-comm-central ?

ISHIKAWA,chiaki
Hi,

To share a valgrind-enabled C-C TB binary with my patches thrown in, I
thought it would be great to be able to create
such a binary on try-comm-central.

My intention is NOT to run the binary on try-comm-central CPU farm, but
rather CREATING such a binary and
run it through ordinary tests for everyone to see and THEN SHARE it with
people who are interested in doing
their own testing under valgrind locally on their PCs.

To create a valgrind-enabled C-C TB, I need to add a couple of options to
mozconfig.
I have done so on my local PC for at least a few years now.

But how can I change mozconfig on try-comm-central?

Changing build/mozconfig.common is not enough: See the error reported in the
following run.

https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try-comm-central&revision=1d237e3ce3a1b12a7641c4e868a7e8556eef7f40&selectedJob=82396923

From the above run, I have finally figured out that I could include
"IDENTICAL" options in both
build/mozconfig.common
and
mozilla/build/mozconfig.common

to enable --enable-valgrind mozconfig option along with --disable-jemalloc.

See
https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try-comm-central&selectedJob=82642518

PROBLEM:

Unfortunately, though, the options are now in effect, but obviously, the OS
image in try-comm-central does not seem to have
the header files and presumably libraries for valgrind.

DEBUG: configure:5546:31: fatal error: valgrind/valgrind.h: No such file or
directory

from
https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try-comm-central&revision=e02c725272401d05b92c1e4fff8d4627714514b9&selectedJob=82642522

Given that I have read somewhere that M-C FF has valgrind-enabled version
built maybe once a month and checked, it should be doable with proper
configuration/packages on try-comm-central.

I wonder if valgrind-enabled C-C TB can be created on try-comm-central.

If so, how?

If not, who should I contact to have such header files (and libraries.
libraries may not be necessary since I do NOT intend to run valgrind on
try-comm-server) installed?

I think it is merely a matter of installing packages for valgrind binary and
valgrind headers, etc.
But someone who can do so needs to change the packaging for try-comm-central.

TIA

PS: Having someone new to C-C TB to create valgrind-enabled version is
difficult.
I thought being able to create a valgrind-enabled binary on try-comm-central
and sharing it is much better: noone wants to
install a binary from a random Joe on the street.
At least by sharing the valgrind-enabled binary via try-comm-central,
someone who wants to download it
can verify what changes are made to C-C TB by patches, and
the test result of the particular binary thus created before deciding to
fetch and install such a binary before local testing (under valgrind).

Re: Creating a valgrind-enabled C-C TB binary on try-comm-central ?

ISHIKAWA,chiaki
I have found "-p linux64-valgrind " in try syntax.

I wonder if this works or not on try-comm-central.

Test run:
https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try-comm-central&revision=30000a3b30dea9f2d510065bda46eb007ae95737

On 2017/03/10 2:04, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:
> I have found "-p linux64-valgrind " in try syntax.
>
> I wonder if this works or not on try-comm-central.
>
> Test run:
> https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try-comm-central&revision=30000a3b30dea9f2d510065bda46eb007ae95737

Oops. Something is wrong.
The submitted request did not proceed at all after a few hours, AND
since the submission did not spawn a job at all, I cannot even cancel
all the JOBS despite the interface claims the cancel succeeded !?

> [...]
>>
>> PS: Having someone new to C-C TB to create valgrind-enabled version is
>> difficult.
>> I thought being able to create a valgrind-enabled binary on
>> try-comm-central
>> and sharing it is much better: noone wants to
>> install a binary from a random Joe on the street.
>> At least by sharing the valgrind-enabled binary via try-comm-central,
>> someone who wants to download it
>> can verify what changes are made to C-C TB by patches, and
>> the test result of the particular binary thus created before deciding to
>> fetch and install such a binary before local testing (under valgrind).

Re: Creating a valgrind-enabled C-C TB binary on try-comm-central ?

ISHIKAWA,chiaki
On 2017/03/10 2:04, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:
> I have found "-p linux64-valgrind " in try syntax.
>
> I wonder if this works or not on try-comm-central.

The job seemed to get hung. So I filed

Bug 1346534 - C-C TB build on try-comm-central: use of "-p
linux64-valgrind" to create valgrind-friendly version fails (hung?)

TIA