Copy browsing history when opening link a new tab

Copy browsing history when opening link a new tab

niels.ellegaard
If I use middle-click to open a new tab in firefox, then I would like the new tab to have acces to the browsing history of the parent tab. In other words I would linke to do the following¨

1) Middle click to open a link in a child tab
2) Close the parent tab
3) Open the child tab
4) Pres go back twice to access the history of the parent tab.

Galeon and previous editions of epiphany used to have this feature and it was really great. I miss it is firefox and chrome.

I am not fully sure if Galeon copied the history or if they stored browsing history as a tree.

Re: Copy browsing history when opening link a new tab

Neil-4
[hidden email] wrote:

>1) Middle click to open a link in a child tab
>2) Close the parent tab
>3) Open the child tab
>4) Pres go back twice to access the history of the parent tab.

What's the difference between that and simply opening the link in the
same tab?

Also, you can Ctrl+ or middle-click the Reload button to duplicate the
current tab.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 12:44:30 PM UTC+1, Neil wrote:
[hidden email] wrote:

> What's the difference between that and simply opening the link in the
same tab?

> Also, you can Ctrl+ or middle-click the Reload button to duplicate the
current tab.

I guess that different people have different browsing habits. Here are mine:

Whenever I read a webpage with several interesting links, I like to open each link in a separate tabs, while I read the parent page. This allows me to load the new pages in the background. I often end up with a queue of 30 tabs waiting to be read. My problem is that I lose history, whenever I close a parent tab.

Middle clicking on reload is a nice feature, but it requires me to make an active choice whenever I want to copy history. In comparison Galeon did not require me to make an active choice.

Furthermore  middle clicking on reload is slightly cumbersome, because I have to wait for the duplicate to load before I can press to open the link. Subsequently I have to click once again to return to the parent tab. This was easier in Galeon.

I realize that this feature may not be helpful to everybody, but it would be useful for me :-)

Kind regards

Niels