Converting from Moz 1.17.13

Christer Jacobsson
Hi!

The other day I browsed my saved msg's here in ProNews/2 and found one
describing how to convert from Moz to SM.
I will copy it here and ask you out there if the described procedure is
viable or not.

$<begin>

Copy your mozilla/seamonkey folder to a backup folder using xcopy to
preserve the directory structure.  Then backup your desktop with the
archive setting and reboot.  Then uninstall your mozilla which will
leave the folder profile stuff (bookmarks, emails, etc.) there while
deleting the mozilla files.  Then install the new SeaMonkey into the old

folder.  SeaMonkey should recognize and use your email folders,
bookmarks, preferences, etc.  Now...use it for a while to verify that
everything is working.  But...if you do have a problem with SeaMonkey,
then just uninstall the new SeaMonkey, copy the old backup Mozilla
folder with mozilla installed into it over to replace the failed
SeaMonkey folder.  Then reboot and select the F1 option and select your
backed up desktop.  When the system reboots, Mozilla will be installed
again as before.  This way, you won't lose your profile data but you can

still evaluate new SeaMonkeys.

$<end>

What do you think of this procedure? Bullshit or not?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 11th Anniversary & 26th Wedding Anniversary! :-))
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Converting from Moz 1.17.13

Peter Brown-2
Hi Christer

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The other day I browsed my saved msg's here in ProNews/2 and found one
> describing how to convert from Moz to SM.
> I will copy it here and ask you out there if the described procedure is
> viable or not.
>
> $<begin>
>
> Copy your mozilla/seamonkey folder to a backup folder using xcopy to
> preserve the directory structure.  Then backup your desktop with the
> archive setting and reboot.  Then uninstall your mozilla which will
> leave the folder profile stuff (bookmarks, emails, etc.) there while
> deleting the mozilla files.  Then install the new SeaMonkey into the old
>
> folder.  SeaMonkey should recognize and use your email folders,
> bookmarks, preferences, etc.  Now...use it for a while to verify that
> everything is working.  But...if you do have a problem with SeaMonkey,
> then just uninstall the new SeaMonkey, copy the old backup Mozilla
> folder with mozilla installed into it over to replace the failed
> SeaMonkey folder.  Then reboot and select the F1 option and select your
> backed up desktop.  When the system reboots, Mozilla will be installed
> again as before.  This way, you won't lose your profile data but you can
>
> still evaluate new SeaMonkeys.
>
> $<end>
>
> What do you think of this procedure? Bullshit or not?
>

> Cul8er alligator!
> gaea - feminist

I think the flaw is that installing Seamonkey will overwrite the
existing Profiles and Plugins directories that you obviously want to
preserve.

I suppose you could carefully unzip the package and just copy everything
but the "new" Profiles and Plugins directories...

Maybe the easy answer would be to xcopy the Profiles from the previously
made backup to overwrite the "new" Profiles. You could also do the same
with Plugins but you would need to retain the new npnulos2.dll file
supplied with Seamonkey.

I think you would be better off moving Profiles and Plugins outside of
the Mozilla/Seamonkey directory structure to avoid repeating the above
every time you upgrade.

Regards

Pete

Re: Converting from Moz 1.17.13

David T. Johnson
Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi Christer
>
> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> The other day I browsed my saved msg's here in ProNews/2 and found one
>> describing how to convert from Moz to SM.
>> I will copy it here and ask you out there if the described procedure
>> is viable or not.
>>
>> $<begin>
>>
>> Copy your mozilla/seamonkey folder to a backup folder using xcopy to
>> preserve the directory structure.  Then backup your desktop with the
>> archive setting and reboot.  Then uninstall your mozilla which will
>> leave the folder profile stuff (bookmarks, emails, etc.) there while
>> deleting the mozilla files.  Then install the new SeaMonkey into the old
>>
>> folder.  SeaMonkey should recognize and use your email folders,
>> bookmarks, preferences, etc.  Now...use it for a while to verify that
>> everything is working.  But...if you do have a problem with SeaMonkey,
>> then just uninstall the new SeaMonkey, copy the old backup Mozilla
>> folder with mozilla installed into it over to replace the failed
>> SeaMonkey folder.  Then reboot and select the F1 option and select
>> your backed up desktop.  When the system reboots, Mozilla will be
>> installed again as before.  This way, you won't lose your profile data
>> but you can
>>
>> still evaluate new SeaMonkeys.
>>
>> $<end>
>>
>> What do you think of this procedure? Bullshit or not?
>>

>> Cul8er alligator!
>> gaea - feminist
>

> I think the flaw is that installing Seamonkey will overwrite the
> existing Profiles and Plugins directories that you obviously want to
> preserve.

No, it doesn't.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a

Re: Converting from Moz 1.17.13

Peter Brown-2
Hi David

David T. Johnson wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi Christer
>>
>> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The other day I browsed my saved msg's here in ProNews/2 and found
>>> one describing how to convert from Moz to SM.
>>> I will copy it here and ask you out there if the described procedure
>>> is viable or not.
>>>
>>> $<begin>
>>>
>>> Copy your mozilla/seamonkey folder to a backup folder using xcopy to
>>> preserve the directory structure.  Then backup your desktop with the
>>> archive setting and reboot.  Then uninstall your mozilla which will
>>> leave the folder profile stuff (bookmarks, emails, etc.) there while
>>> deleting the mozilla files.  Then install the new SeaMonkey into the old
>>>
>>> folder.  SeaMonkey should recognize and use your email folders,
>>> bookmarks, preferences, etc.  Now...use it for a while to verify that
>>> everything is working.  But...if you do have a problem with
>>> SeaMonkey, then just uninstall the new SeaMonkey, copy the old backup
>>> Mozilla folder with mozilla installed into it over to replace the
>>> failed SeaMonkey folder.  Then reboot and select the F1 option and
>>> select your backed up desktop.  When the system reboots, Mozilla will
>>> be installed again as before.  This way, you won't lose your profile
>>> data but you can
>>>
>>> still evaluate new SeaMonkeys.
>>>
>>> $<end>
>>>
>>> What do you think of this procedure? Bullshit or not?
>>>

>>> Cul8er alligator!
>>> gaea - feminist
>>

>> I think the flaw is that installing Seamonkey will overwrite the
>> existing Profiles and Plugins directories that you obviously want to
>> preserve.
>
> No, it doesn't.

Long time since I last had Profiles and Plugins within a Mozilla App
directory tree and the reason for not having them within that directory
tree was to prevent the data being overwritten when upgrading to a later
version of that app.

When did the problem get fixed?

Regards

Pete

Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi David
>
> David T. Johnson wrote:
>> Peter Brown wrote:
>>> Hi Christer

>>> I think the flaw is that installing Seamonkey will overwrite the
>>> existing Profiles and Plugins directories that you obviously want to
>>> preserve.
>>
>> No, it doesn't.
>>

> Long time since I last had Profiles and Plugins within a Mozilla App
> directory tree and the reason for not having them within that directory
> tree was to prevent the data being overwritten when upgrading to a later
> version of that app.
>
> When did the problem get fixed?

No idea but I've installed several versions of Sea Monkey over the last
year and none of them have overwritten profile info, plugins, bookmarks,
etc. and they have all found my email database and managed it properly.
  If you are doubtful, just do a test with a backed up system to see how
the installer works.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a

Re: Converting from Moz 1.17.13

Steve Wendt
Peter Brown wrote:

> Long time since I last had Profiles and Plugins within a Mozilla App
> directory tree and the reason for not having them within that directory
> tree was to prevent the data being overwritten when upgrading to a later
> version of that app.
>
> When did the problem get fixed?

To my knowledge, there was never such a bug.

Re: Converting from Moz 1.17.13

Christer Jacobsson
On Thu, 24 May 2007 15:09:03 UTC, "David T. Johnson"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
> > Hi Christer
> >
> > Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> The other day I browsed my saved msg's here in ProNews/2 and found one
> >> describing how to convert from Moz to SM.
> >> I will copy it here and ask you out there if the described procedure
> >> is viable or not.
> >>
> >> $<begin>
> >>
> >> Copy your mozilla/seamonkey folder to a backup folder using xcopy to
> >> preserve the directory structure.  Then backup your desktop with the
> >> archive setting and reboot.  Then uninstall your mozilla which will
> >> leave the folder profile stuff (bookmarks, emails, etc.) there while
> >> deleting the mozilla files.  Then install the new SeaMonkey into the old
> >>
> >> folder.  SeaMonkey should recognize and use your email folders,
> >> bookmarks, preferences, etc.  Now...use it for a while to verify that
> >> everything is working.  But...if you do have a problem with SeaMonkey,
> >> then just uninstall the new SeaMonkey, copy the old backup Mozilla
> >> folder with mozilla installed into it over to replace the failed
> >> SeaMonkey folder.  Then reboot and select the F1 option and select
> >> your backed up desktop.  When the system reboots, Mozilla will be
> >> installed again as before.  This way, you won't lose your profile data
> >> but you can
> >>
> >> still evaluate new SeaMonkeys.
> >>
> >> $<end>
> >>
> >> What do you think of this procedure? Bullshit or not?
> >>

> >> Cul8er alligator!
> >> gaea - feminist
> >

> > I think the flaw is that installing Seamonkey will overwrite the
> > existing Profiles and Plugins directories that you obviously want to
> > preserve.
>
> No, it doesn't.

So what I can infer from this is that I can do as follows: tomorrow
would be the best day to try it as I run a total tape backup of my
system every Saturday at 0700 in the morning. Profiles, settings, mail
and such lives in a dir called cribo.jacobsson with that dratted
xxxxxxxx.slt sitting over my settings, mail and so on. In the Default
dir lives only a file called XUL.mfl. I can accept that after changing
to SM my settings, mail.... still lives under the dir cribo.jacobsson
but how do I get away with that annoying xxxxxxxx.slt before I start
converting to SM?

So here is my proposed conversion scheme:

1. Change Desktop settings to Archive at every boot.
2. Reboot
3. Uninstalling Moz with the Uninstall program in the moz folder.
4. Reboot (is it nessesary or not at this stage?)
5. Install SM in the same place that Moz once lived. Settings, mail and
so on will live where they did under Moz.

This would be the basics, now we come to the tricky part.

6. How to move settings, mail, passwords unt zo weiter to a shareable
FAT32 partition and must I change settings in many of SM's .js files?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - femimist

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> So what I can infer from this is that I can do as follows: tomorrow
> would be the best day to try it as I run a total tape backup of my
> system every Saturday at 0700 in the morning. Profiles, settings, mail
> and such lives in a dir called cribo.jacobsson with that dratted
> xxxxxxxx.slt sitting over my settings, mail and so on. In the Default
> dir lives only a file called XUL.mfl. I can accept that after changing
> to SM my settings, mail.... still lives under the dir cribo.jacobsson
> but how do I get away with that annoying xxxxxxxx.slt before I start
> converting to SM?

I still have the .slt folder.  It was there before and it was there after.

> So here is my proposed conversion scheme:
>
> 1. Change Desktop settings to Archive at every boot.

Just set the archive on ONE time and then reboot and be sure that the
archive 'saving' box in the lower left corner momentarily appears at
boot to show that an archived desktop got saved.  Sometimes, the
archiving happens on the second boot after it's turned on, rather than
the first, for some unknown reason.  Once you have an archive and the
system is booted, turn the archiving off and on to the next step.

> 2. Reboot

Unnecessary.

> 3. Uninstalling Moz with the Uninstall program in the moz folder.

Yes, but first make a complete backup of the mozilla folder with all of
the subdirectorys into a backup folder with xcopy.  For example, if
mozilla is installed in a folder named 'mozilla' on the D: drive, then
back it up by

XCOPY D:\MOZILLA D:\MOZILLA_BACKUP /S

(Respond 'Y' at the prompt to indicate that the target is a directory)

> 4. Reboot (is it nessesary or not at this stage?)

I did.

> 5. Install SM in the same place that Moz once lived. Settings, mail and
> so on will live where they did under Moz.

Yes, just tell the seamonkey installer to install in the 'mozilla' (or
whatever it's called) folder.  (One little issue is that Seamonkey
creates a subfolder called mozilla and maybe it confuses it if your main
folder is also called mozilla.  I don't know.  Try it and see what
happens.  If it's okay, you would just have the mail folder be 'mozilla'
with a subfolder also called 'mozilla.')  The seamonkey isntaller will
create all of the necessary subfolders and will use your existing email,
bookmarks, etc.

> This would be the basics, now we come to the tricky part.
>
> 6. How to move settings, mail, passwords unt zo weiter to a shareable
> FAT32 partition and must I change settings in many of SM's .js files?

I have no idea about that.  I suppose you could just install into a
fat32 folder in the first place and then install sea monkey on both
windows and os/2 and each would access the folder.  I have no idea if
the windows and os/2 seamonkey both use the same data formats and folder
structure.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a

http://gemal.dk/blog/2003/06/24/create_mozilla_profile_without_slt_directory/

Re: Converting from Moz 1.17.13

Christer Jacobsson
On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:01:51 UTC, Peter Brown
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David
>
> David T. Johnson wrote:
> > Peter Brown wrote:
> >> Hi Christer

> >> I think the flaw is that installing Seamonkey will overwrite the
> >> existing Profiles and Plugins directories that you obviously want to
> >> preserve.
> >
> > No, it doesn't.
> >

> Long time since I last had Profiles and Plugins within a Mozilla App
> directory tree and the reason for not having them within that directory
> tree was to prevent the data being overwritten when upgrading to a later
> version of that app.

So you have your Profiles and Plugins separated from the main moz
directory?

Currently my moz sits in the y:\mozilla.org\mozilla\mozilla\ directory,
so the simplest thing to do would to do an absolute clean install of
Seamonkey in a separate dir, let's call it y:\seamonkey.org.

Now comes the $64,000 questions: How do I do the initial install without
the SM Installer stealing info from my moz setup?
Second, how do I set up my profile, mail and such in a FAT32 partition
so they will be cross-OS accessible, i.e. I want the incoming and
outgoing mail the same whether I run SM from WSeB, eCs 1.2 or XP, i.e.
if I pull home my mail in XP would it be in sync with the mail (remember
they lie on a common FAT32 partition) so the WSeB SM pulls home my mail
correctly just as if I have rebooted from XP?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:01:51 UTC, Peter Brown
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>> David T. Johnson wrote:

>>> No, it doesn't.
>>>

>> Long time since I last had Profiles and Plugins within a Mozilla App
>> directory tree and the reason for not having them within that directory
>> tree was to prevent the data being overwritten when upgrading to a later
>> version of that app.
>>

> So you have your Profiles and Plugins separated from the main moz
> directory?
>
> Currently my moz sits in the y:\mozilla.org\mozilla\mozilla\ directory,
> so the simplest thing to do would to do an absolute clean install of
> Seamonkey in a separate dir, let's call it y:\seamonkey.org.
>
> Now comes the $64,000 questions: How do I do the initial install without
> the SM Installer stealing info from my moz setup?
> Second, how do I set up my profile, mail and such in a FAT32 partition
> so they will be cross-OS accessible, i.e. I want the incoming and
> outgoing mail the same whether I run SM from WSeB, eCs 1.2 or XP, i.e.
> if I pull home my mail in XP would it be in sync with the mail (remember
> they lie on a common FAT32 partition) so the WSeB SM pulls home my mail
> correctly just as if I have rebooted from XP?
>
> Cul8er alligator!
> gaea - feminist

 From my response in the thread "SET MOZILLA_HOME:  Can target be
changed?":-

I recently moved my Mozilla_Home to another drive.

It was a bit of a fiddle but the main steps were to copy the
Mozilla_Home directory and all contents from J:\Mozilla to I:\Mozilla
and edit config.sys to point to the new location.

I then edited the paths in each Profile prefs.js file to point to the
new location (just a drive letter change in this instance).

As Mozilla_Home also contains Plugins I deleted the pluginreg.dat file
to avoid any possible path problems - I seem to recall having to
reinstall flash7(fake 9) though.

I thought the above was all that was necessary but soon discovered that
was not the case; despite editing prefs.js SM still seemed to think that
the Profiles were in the previous location - Yes, I did reboot first to
activate the new Mozilla_Home.

Which is where the registry.dat file located in the root of Mozilla_Home
seems to come in..

Being a bit experimental (the wife says that should be abbreviated to
mental :-) and having a copy of registry.dat elsewhere I deleted the file.

This meant that trying to start SM resulted in no existing Profiles
which was easily overcome by creating a "new" Profile with exactly the
same name and pointing the directory location to the existing (unknown)
Profile. This had to be done for each Profile - only 3 here so no
hardship involved  :-)

I do not seem to recall any other steps... Sorry if I've forgotten
something, maybe someone else will point out any missing bits(s).

Hope the above helps.

An addition: Uninstalling any Extensions or additional Themes before
starting to Move files around may be a good idea to prevent any strange
sort of interface corruption when you start SM after the Move.

To use the Profile(s) from any OS you would (obviously booted from that
OS) Start SM with the Profile Manager and Create a New Profile using an
existing Profile Name and point to the current location of that Profile
(on the fat32 drive). SM should then use that existing Profile happily.

Regards

Pete

Re: Converting from Moz 1.17.13

Peter Brown-2
Hi Steve

Steve Wendt wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>
>> Long time since I last had Profiles and Plugins within a Mozilla App
>> directory tree and the reason for not having them within that
>> directory tree was to prevent the data being overwritten when
>> upgrading to a later version of that app.
>>
>> When did the problem get fixed?
>
> To my knowledge, there was never such a bug.

I just realised that there is a little confusion between Installer
packages and Zip packages creeping in to this discussion.

As I use the zip package rather than Installer package I should have said

"...when upgrading to a later version of that app using a Zip package."

Sorry for the confusion.

Pete

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:01:51 UTC, Peter Brown
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>> David T. Johnson wrote:

>>> No, it doesn't.
>>>

>> Long time since I last had Profiles and Plugins within a Mozilla App
>> directory tree and the reason for not having them within that directory
>> tree was to prevent the data being overwritten when upgrading to a later
>> version of that app.
>>

> So you have your Profiles and Plugins separated from the main moz
> directory?

They are in subfolders created by the installer in the main moz
directory.  I just let it create whatever it wanted.

> Currently my moz sits in the y:\mozilla.org\mozilla\mozilla\ directory,
> so the simplest thing to do would to do an absolute clean install of
> Seamonkey in a separate dir, let's call it y:\seamonkey.org.
>
> Now comes the $64,000 questions: How do I do the initial install without
> the SM Installer stealing info from my moz setup?

I'm not sure about that.  I think that the installer does look at your
system and grab info so if you want to have TWO separate installs you
might have problems.  I have always just had one active install but I
backed up the install to a non-functioning folder before I installed a
new version in the active folder, as I mentioned previously, so that I
could recover if the installer did overwrite something important for
some reason.

> Second, how do I set up my profile, mail and such in a FAT32 partition
> so they will be cross-OS accessible, i.e. I want the incoming and
> outgoing mail the same whether I run SM from WSeB, eCs 1.2 or XP, i.e.
> if I pull home my mail in XP would it be in sync with the mail (remember
> they lie on a common FAT32 partition) so the WSeB SM pulls home my mail
> correctly just as if I have rebooted from XP?

I don't know anything about that because I've never tried it.  I would
just make backups and then try to install on a FAT32 volume from both
OS/2 and Windows and see what happens.  I think you are likely to have
some issues, though, just due to differences between the two platforms.

Re: Converting from Moz 1.17.13

Peter Weilbacher
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Currently my moz sits in the y:\mozilla.org\mozilla\mozilla\ directory,
> so the simplest thing to do would to do an absolute clean install of
> Seamonkey in a separate dir, let's call it y:\seamonkey.org.
>
> Now comes the $64,000 questions: How do I do the initial install without
> the SM Installer stealing info from my moz setup?

If you are really paying as much as that, perhaps I should answer. :-)
It's simple anyway, the installer won't consider your current installation
at all if you give it another directory to install to. Only when _running_
it the first time might it pick up stuff from your old install, but _only_
when using MOZILLA_HOME.

But seriously, why don't you just do a backup and just try everything out
yourself.

   Peter.
--
Please                      Enhanced OS/2 builds of Mozilla applications
reply in                                    http://pmw-warpzilla.sf.net/