Concerning 2020 l10n community workshops

Concerning 2020 l10n community workshops

Jeff Beatty
Hi everyone,

For the last couple of years, we've taken a hands-off approach to community
workshops. This has been good in that it empowered communities that wanted
to meet with the resources to do so.

This year, we had planned to return to organizing and running larger
community workshops. Advancements over the last two years in the number of
products Mozilla develops, the l10n process, l10n community role
definitions, l10n tooling, and Fluent made us realize we needed to return
to the more proactive training and mentorship role we had with these
workshops. Unfortunately, this was before the COVID-19 outbreak that has
affected many regions of the world over the past month or so. When planning
these workshops and the logistics around them, we prioritize safety and
wellness very highly and feel keenly responsible for every localizer who
attends these events. Specifically, volunteers assume the responsibility of
protecting themselves against risks while traveling - meaning you have to
pay for your own travel insurance, medical costs, etc. outside the cost of
the travel itself. I feel this is an unacceptable risk and burden to put on
volunteers given the current, evolving state of COVID-19.

I want to clarify that this is not Mozilla's corporate policy, but
something I am choosing to do in the interest of safety for the people
participating in this program.

Your health and safety need to be the highest priority. We're working to
determine what options are available to us. I'm hoping to have something to
announce by the end of the month.

Thanks for your patience and stay tuned :-)

Jeff