Compiling help need for firefox1.5 on winxp pro

Compiling help need for firefox1.5 on winxp pro

Ravi Dronamraju
Hi,

I am a novice windows developer and am trying to build firefox 1.5 rc3
on my win xp box. I was able to set up cygwin and the environment. I
purchased the visual studio 2005 standard edition for compiling.
When i go through the instructions, make conks out with the following
error:

configure: error: The linker major version, ,  does not match the
compiler suite
  version, 8.
*** Fix above errors and then restart with "make -f client.mk build"

MIDL i have seems to be of version 6.00.0366
I don't know why i'd have midl 6.00 while i installed visual studio 8.
Any ideas ? suggestions? is this "normal"?
thanks in advance for any help

i have attached the full output at the bottom,
-ravi

$ make -f client.mk build
Adding client.mk options from /cygdrive/c/mozilla/.mozconfig:
     MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
     MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla'
cd /cygdrive/c/mozilla
/cygdrive/c/mozilla/configure
Adding configure options from /cygdrive/c/mozilla/.mozconfig:
   --enable-application=browser
   --enable-application=browser
   --disable-static
   --enable-shared
   --enable-extensions=all
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking target system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for nsinstall... /cygdrive/c/moztools/bin/nsinstall
checking for gcc... cl
checking whether the C compiler (cl  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cl  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... no
checking whether cl accepts -g... no
checking for c++... cl
checking whether the C++ compiler (cl  ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (cl  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... no
checking whether cl accepts -g... no
checking for ranlib... :
checking for ml... /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/BIN/ml

checking for ar... no
checking for ld... link
checking for strip... no
checking for windres... no
checking for midl... midl
configure: error: The linker major version, ,  does not match the
compiler suite
  version, 8.
*** Fix above errors and then restart with "make -f client.mk build"
make[1]: *** [configure] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla'
make: *** [/cygdrive/c/mozilla/Makefile] Error 2

Re: Compiling help need for firefox1.5 on winxp pro

Benjamin Smedberg
Ravi Dronamraju wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a novice windows developer and am trying to build firefox 1.5 rc3
> on my win xp box. I was able to set up cygwin and the environment. I
> purchased the visual studio 2005 standard edition for compiling.
> When i go through the instructions, make conks out with the following
> error:
>
> configure: error: The linker major version, ,  does not match the
> compiler suite
>  version, 8.
> *** Fix above errors and then restart with "make -f client.mk build"

Please read the Mozilla Build FAQ (linked from the main build page
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Build_Documentation). It addresses this
very issue (your PATH needs to be configured so that MSVC is before cygwin).

--BDS

Re: Compiling help need for firefox1.5 on winxp pro

Ravi Dronamraju
Benjamin,
thanks for the help. I moved forward from that. I also noticed that i
could not use "moztools.static" but had to use wintools. Now, my build
fails because of another strange error.
I get a popup window with the error message
"This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found.
re-installing the application may fix the problem"

and the compile time error that's totally different

"make[4]: ***[_xpidlgen/nsIConsoleListener.h] Error 53"

Any tips and suggestions?

-ravi
p.s this time I did look in the faq carefully.

Ravi Dronamraju wrote:

> Benjamin,
> thanks for the help. I moved forward from that. I also noticed that i
> could not use "moztools.static" but had to use wintools. Now, my build
> fails because of another strange error.
> I get a popup window with the error message
> "This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found.
> re-installing the application may fix the problem"
>
> and the compile time error that's totally different
>
> "make[4]: ***[_xpidlgen/nsIConsoleListener.h] Error 53"
>
> Any tips and suggestions?

That's because you didn't use moztools-static. Why did you say you couldn't
use it?

--BDS

Re: Compiling help need for firefox1.5 on winxp pro

Ravi Dronamraju

> That's because you didn't use moztools-static. Why did you say you
> couldn't use it?

well, i am kinda sorta using moztools-static. I unzipped moztools-static
into c:\moztools and also unzipped wintools (from netscape) into
c:\moztools.
It seems like one of them is static lib version and other is dll version.

When i did not have wintools, compile was stopped because it was looking
for libidl-0.6.1.dll while i only had libidl-0.6.1_s.dll in my
c:\moztools\lib directory

Should I use both moztools-static and wintools?

Ravi Dronamraju wrote:

>> That's because you didn't use moztools-static. Why did you say you
>> couldn't use it?
>>

> well, i am kinda sorta using moztools-static. I unzipped moztools-static
> into c:\moztools and also unzipped wintools (from netscape) into
> c:\moztools.
> It seems like one of them is static lib version and other is dll version.
>
> When i did not have wintools, compile was stopped because it was looking
> for libidl-0.6.1.dll while i only had libidl-0.6.1_s.dll in my
> c:\moztools\lib directory
>
> Should I use both moztools-static and wintools?

No. moztools-static is the replacement for wintools. Where did you get the
idea that you should be downloading the old wintools?

--BDS

Benjamin Smedberg wrote:

>> Should I use both moztools-static and wintools?
>
> No. moztools-static is the replacement for wintools. Where did you get
> the idea that you should be downloading the old wintools?
>
> --BDS

I got the compile error about not being able to find libidl-0.6.1.dll
and i had libidl-0.6.1_s.dll in moztools
This doc here talks about needing wintools for the 1.7 and 1.8 branches
(i am trying to build 1.5rc3)
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Windows_Build_Prerequisites_on_the_1.7_and_1.8_Branches

Are my compile options wrong? here's my mozconfig file

ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --disable-static
ac_add_options --enable-shared
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=all
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser

thanks for all your help

-ravi

Re: Compiling help need for firefox1.5 on winxp pro

Christian Biesinger
Ravi Dronamraju wrote:
> I am a novice windows developer and am trying to build firefox 1.5 rc3

Why are you building a release candidate, rather than the final version,
or 1.5.0.1?

> on my win xp box. I was able to set up cygwin and the environment. I
> purchased the visual studio 2005 standard edition for compiling.

I don't think 1.5 can be compiled with VS 2005...

Christian Biesinger wrote:

> Ravi Dronamraju wrote:
>> I am a novice windows developer and am trying to build firefox 1.5 rc3
>
> Why are you building a release candidate, rather than the final version,
> or 1.5.0.1?
>
>> on my win xp box. I was able to set up cygwin and the environment. I
>> purchased the visual studio 2005 standard edition for compiling.
>
> I don't think 1.5 can be compiled with VS 2005...

Oh! that's good to find out..

Is there a version that compiles with VS 2005? Should I check out the
source from CVS?

-ravi

Ravi Dronamraju wrote:
> Is there a version that compiles with VS 2005? Should I check out the
> source from CVS?

Yeah, the source from CVS HEAD works. Don't know whether
MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH does.

Christian Biesinger wrote:
> Ravi Dronamraju wrote:
>> Is there a version that compiles with VS 2005? Should I check out the
>> source from CVS?
>
> Yeah, the source from CVS HEAD works. Don't know whether
> MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH does.

ok great! I was able to compile CVS head fine! great news. But after
reading a bit of documentation, i found that what i might be looking for
is the XUL runner.

Basically, i want to build a client app embedding gecko. Should I still
be trying to build XULRunner? Does XULRunner need java?

-ravi

Ravi Dronamraju wrote:

> Christian Biesinger wrote:
>> Ravi Dronamraju wrote:
>>> Is there a version that compiles with VS 2005? Should I check out the
>>> source from CVS?
>>
>> Yeah, the source from CVS HEAD works. Don't know whether
>> MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH does.
>
> ok great! I was able to compile CVS head fine! great news. But after
> reading a bit of documentation, i found that what i might be looking for
> is the XUL runner.
>
> Basically, i want to build a client app embedding gecko. Should I still
> be trying to build XULRunner? Does XULRunner need java?

The XULRunner build process usually needs a JDK so that it can build the
JavaXPCOM embedding glue layer. XULRunner does not have a runtime dependency
on Java.

You can of course build xulrunner using --enable-application=xulrunner, or
just use the precompiled binaries. See
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XULRunner for more information about
XULRunner.

--BDS

Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> The XULRunner build process usually needs a JDK so that it can build the
> JavaXPCOM embedding glue layer.

Or you can remove that requirement by compiling with --disable-javaxpcom.

Christian Biesinger wrote:
> Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
>> The XULRunner build process usually needs a JDK so that it can build
>> the JavaXPCOM embedding glue layer.
>
> Or you can remove that requirement by compiling with --disable-javaxpcom.
Great!  I moved forward with --disable-javaxpcom and my compile went
fine for a while, but i got these linking errors

storage1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport)
public: static void const * const nsObsoleteACString::sCanonicalVTable"
(__imp_?
sCanonicalVTable@nsObsoleteACString@@2PBXB) referenced in function
"protected: _
_thiscall nsACString_internal::nsACString_internal(char *,unsigned
int,unsigned
int)" (??0nsACString_internal@@IAE@PADII@Z)
storage1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport)
public: static char const * const nsCharTraits<char>::sEmptyBuffer"
(__imp_?sEmp
tyBuffer@?$nsCharTraits@D@@2PBDB) referenced in function "protected:
__thiscall
nsCSubstring::nsCSubstring(void)" (??0nsCSubstring@@IAE@XZ)
storage1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport)
public: __thiscall nsACString_internal::~nsACString_internal(void)"
(__imp_??1ns
ACString_internal@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: __thiscall
nsCSubstri
ng::~nsCSubstring(void)" (??1nsCSubstring@@QAE@XZ)
storage1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport)
public: __thiscall nsCOMPtr_base::~nsCOMPtr_base(void)"
(__imp_??1nsCOMPtr_base@
@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: __thiscall nsCOMPtr<class
mozIStorageSe
rvice>::~nsCOMPtr<class mozIStorageService>(void)"
(??1?$nsCOMPtr@VmozIStorageSe
rvice@@@@QAE@XZ)
storage1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport)
public: void __fastcall
nsCOMPtr_base::assign_from_gs_cid_with_error(class nsGet
ServiceByCIDWithError const &,struct nsID const &)"
(__imp_?assign_from_gs_cid_w
ith_error@nsCOMPtr_base@@QAIXABVnsGetServiceByCIDWithError@@ABUnsID@@@Z)
referen
ced in function "public: class nsCOMPtr<class mozIStorageService> &
__thiscall n
sCOMPtr<class mozIStorageService>::operator=(class
(??4?$nsCOMPtr@VmozIStorageService@@@@QAEAAV0@ABVnsGetServiceByCIDWithEr
ror@@@Z)
storage1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport)
public: void __fastcall nsCOMPtr_base::assign_from_qi(class
nsQueryInterface,str
uct nsID const &)"
(__imp_?assign_from_qi@nsCOMPtr_base@@QAIXVnsQueryInterface@@
ABUnsID@@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall nsCOMPtr<class
mozIStora
geValueArray>::nsCOMPtr<class mozIStorageValueArray>(class
nsQueryInterface)" (?
?0?$nsCOMPtr@VmozIStorageValueArray@@@@QAE@VnsQueryInterface@@@Z)
storage1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__NS_NewNativeLoca
lFile_P referenced in function _main
storage1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__NS_InitXPCOM2_P
referenced in function _main
teststorage1.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 8 unresolved externals