Community Call - Retrospective

Clint Talbert-3
Ioana and I have been running this community call every two weeks, and it
really has never taken off the way we'd hoped. I don't see a need to keep
doing it, honestly, but I welcome other people's opinions here.

Thinking more about the community call, it seems that no matter what we do
it isn't achieving its biggest goal: reach a new set of potential
contributors. Something AaronMT is always saying is that we have to "go to
where the people are" and maybe the Community Call isn't going far enough
outside the normal Mozilla orbit.

So, I'd propose that we morph it into a Quality PodCast. Think of it like a
radio show. Whoever is in charge of running the podcast would contact
someone they want to interview, or someone they want to discuss a quality
issue with and they would have a discussion, it would be recorded, and we
could share it however people share podcasts - twitter, blogs, itunes,
podomatic, whatever.

I think this might be fun - you could interview people in other open source
projects, people in different parts of the Mozilla Project, Community
members, other people in the quality world, etc. Quality is a big topic,
and there are a lot of facets to it. I think running something like this
and sharing it out widely might be a way that we get our message out there
that we are here, we are looking for a few good community folk, and we
would be happy to have them join us (we could make a quick 30 second pitch
at the end of every podcast).

What do y'all think?

Clint

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Matt Wobensmith
Clint -

Thanks for this. And thanks to Ioana for making such a dedicated effort to
engage the community.

I know that community calls have worked for other groups in the past.
However, personally I have felt that it was likely not the right thing for
the community we currently want to reach out to.

I think a phone call can be a big barrier to many potential contributors.
The biggest reason - it's synchronous. We are all web people now; we do our
best work asynchronously. It is very hard to get people to all be at the
same place at the same time.

It can be also intimidating to people who are new, shy and/or who might
still be learning English. We take these things for granted in our daily
work. Even for me, listening in on a phone call like this can be
challenging to my attention span.

A podcast is an excellent idea because it allows people to consume the
content on their time, their terms. It's friendly, and it's a medium that
many people already use.

Best,

Matt

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Clint Talbert <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ioana and I have been running this community call every two weeks, and it
> really has never taken off the way we'd hoped. I don't see a need to keep
> doing it, honestly, but I welcome other people's opinions here.
>
> Thinking more about the community call, it seems that no matter what we do
> it isn't achieving its biggest goal: reach a new set of potential
> contributors. Something AaronMT is always saying is that we have to "go to
> where the people are" and maybe the Community Call isn't going far enough
> outside the normal Mozilla orbit.
>
> So, I'd propose that we morph it into a Quality PodCast. Think of it like a
> radio show. Whoever is in charge of running the podcast would contact
> someone they want to interview, or someone they want to discuss a quality
> issue with and they would have a discussion, it would be recorded, and we
> could share it however people share podcasts - twitter, blogs, itunes,
> podomatic, whatever.
>
> I think this might be fun - you could interview people in other open source
> projects, people in different parts of the Mozilla Project, Community
> members, other people in the quality world, etc. Quality is a big topic,
> and there are a lot of facets to it. I think running something like this
> and sharing it out widely might be a way that we get our message out there
> that we are here, we are looking for a few good community folk, and we
> would be happy to have them join us (we could make a quick 30 second pitch
> at the end of every podcast).
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Clint

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Juan Becerra
I also think the podcast is an excellent idea. You can consume it whenever
you want, and it wouldn't be too difficult to allow people to submit
questions they would like answered, for example.

Through one of our ex-collegues I came across a podcast here:
http://theshipshow.com/

Where often times they discuss topics that are relevant to what we do here,
and the podcasts are kind of fun.

I think we should at least try it out.

Dave Hunt-3
I think a podcast is a great idea! :)

--
Dave Hunt
Firefox OS Automation Engineer

> [...]
>>> someone they want to interview, or someone they want to discuss a quality
>>> issue with and they would have a discussion, it would be recorded, and we
>>> could share it however people share podcasts - twitter, blogs, itunes,
>>> podomatic, whatever.
>>>
>>> I think this might be fun - you could interview people in other open
>> source
>>> projects, people in different parts of the Mozilla Project, Community
>>> members, other people in the quality world, etc. Quality is a big topic,
>>> and there are a lot of facets to it. I think running something like this
>>> and sharing it out widely might be a way that we get our message out
>> there
>>> that we are here, we are looking for a few good community folk, and we
>>> would be happy to have them join us (we could make a quick 30 second

Anthony Hughes-3
I agree, a podcast is an excellent idea.

To Aaron's point about "going to where the people are", I think we're doing
all the right things. Fact is we have no idea where the people are and the
only way we figure that out is by trying different things with agility.
When things aren't working we should recognize that and be quick to try
something else.

This is exactly what I see us doing here.

On 27 February 2015 at 11:15, Dave Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think a podcast is a great idea! :)
>
> --
> Dave Hunt
> Firefox OS Automation Engineer
> Mozilla Corporation
> [hidden email]
>
> > On 27 Feb 2015, at 19:12, Juan Becerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I also think the podcast is an excellent idea. You can consume it
> whenever
> > you want, and it wouldn't be too difficult to allow people to submit
> > questions they would like answered, for example.
> >
> > Through one of our ex-collegues I came across a podcast here:
> > http://theshipshow.com/
> >
> > Where often times they discuss topics that are relevant to what we do
> here,
> > and the podcasts are kind of fun.
> >
> > I think we should at least try it out.

> > On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Matt Wobensmith <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Clint -
> >>
> >> Thanks for this. And thanks to Ioana for making such a dedicated effort
> >> engage the community.
> >>
> >> I know that community calls have worked for other groups in the past.
> >> However, personally I have felt that it was likely not the right thing
> for
> >> the community we currently want to reach out to.
> >>
> >> I think a phone call can be a big barrier to many potential
> contributors.
> >> The biggest reason - it's synchronous. We are all web people now; we do
> our
> >> best work asynchronously. It is very hard to get people to all be at the
> >> same place at the same time.
> >>
> >> It can be also intimidating to people who are new, shy and/or who might
> >> still be learning English. We take these things for granted in our daily
> >> work. Even for me, listening in on a phone call like this can be
> >> challenging to my attention span.
> >>
> >> A podcast is an excellent idea because it allows people to consume the
> >> content on their time, their terms. It's friendly, and it's a medium
> that
> >> many people already use.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>
> >> Matt

> it
> keep

> >> do
> enough

> >> like a
> quality
> we

> >> source
> topic,
> this
> >> there
> >> pitch

Anthony Hughes
Senior Quality Engineer
Mozilla Corporation

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Naoki Hirata
+1 for podcast!

On Feb 27, 2015, at 11:42 AM, Anthony Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree, a podcast is an excellent idea.
>
> To Aaron's point about "going to where the people are", I think we're doing
> all the right things. Fact is we have no idea where the people are and the
> only way we figure that out is by trying different things with agility.
> When things aren't working we should recognize that and be quick to try
> something else.
>
> This is exactly what I see us doing here.
>
> On 27 February 2015 at 11:15, Dave Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think a podcast is a great idea! :)
>>
>> --
>> Dave Hunt
>> Firefox OS Automation Engineer
>> Mozilla Corporation
>> [hidden email]
>>
>>> On 27 Feb 2015, at 19:12, Juan Becerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I also think the podcast is an excellent idea. You can consume it
>> whenever
>>> you want, and it wouldn't be too difficult to allow people to submit
>>> questions they would like answered, for example.
>>>
>>> Through one of our ex-collegues I came across a podcast here:
>>> http://theshipshow.com/
>>>
>>> Where often times they discuss topics that are relevant to what we do
>> here,
>>> and the podcasts are kind of fun.
>>>
>>> I think we should at least try it out.

>>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Matt Wobensmith <
>> [hidden email]>

>> for

>> contributors.
>> our

>> that

>> it
>> keep

>> enough

>> quality
>> we

>> topic,
>> this

> Anthony Hughes
> Senior Quality Engineer
> Mozilla Corporation

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Ioana Chiorean
Hey all,
I will +1 for the podcast specially cause we had a really great one last
Tuesday and having it recorded would have been such a good thing!

I am not familiar with how to make them so let me know if you have any
ideas :D

Ioana

On 2/27/15 8:49 PM, Naoki Hirata wrote:

> +1 for podcast!
>
> On Feb 27, 2015, at 11:42 AM, Anthony Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree, a podcast is an excellent idea.
>>
>> To Aaron's point about "going to where the people are", I think we're doing
>> all the right things. Fact is we have no idea where the people are and the
>> only way we figure that out is by trying different things with agility.
>> When things aren't working we should recognize that and be quick to try
>> something else.
>>
>> This is exactly what I see us doing here.
>>
>> On 27 February 2015 at 11:15, Dave Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I think a podcast is a great idea! :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave Hunt
>>> Firefox OS Automation Engineer
>>> Mozilla Corporation
>>> [hidden email]

>>> whenever

>>> here,

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> for

>>> contributors.
>>> our

>>> that

>>> it
>>> keep

>>> enough

>>> quality
>>> we

>>> topic,
>>> this

>> --
>> Anthony Hughes
>> Senior Quality Engineer
>> Mozilla Corporation

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Sebastian Hengst

thank you for working on QA's engagement with the community. There are
three reasons why I find podcasts unsuitable for attracting and helping
new QA contributors:

1. Podcasts are unidirectional
Contributors always have questions and get stuck, or want to get more in
depth information on a topic. Podcasts rarely help them.

2. Language barrier
Because these will be spoken in English, many non-native speakers will
have issues to understand you (newcomers to Mozilla will need to be
already on a level which allows them to understand the content
sufficiently).

3. Audio and video podcasts are sometimes blackboxes
It's much easier to find out if you are interested in information when
it has been written down and you can scroll down to check if gets more
interesting/in depth later or if you want to jump to the next topic.

Archaeopteryx

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Community Call - Retrospective
Von: Clint Talbert <[hidden email]>
Datum: 2015-02-27 19:30

> Ioana and I have been running this community call every two weeks, and it
> really has never taken off the way we'd hoped. I don't see a need to keep
> doing it, honestly, but I welcome other people's opinions here.
>
> Thinking more about the community call, it seems that no matter what we do
> it isn't achieving its biggest goal: reach a new set of potential
> contributors. Something AaronMT is always saying is that we have to "go to
> where the people are" and maybe the Community Call isn't going far enough
> outside the normal Mozilla orbit.
>
> So, I'd propose that we morph it into a Quality PodCast. Think of it like a
> radio show. Whoever is in charge of running the podcast would contact
> someone they want to interview, or someone they want to discuss a quality
> issue with and they would have a discussion, it would be recorded, and we
> could share it however people share podcasts - twitter, blogs, itunes,
> podomatic, whatever.
>
> I think this might be fun - you could interview people in other open source
> projects, people in different parts of the Mozilla Project, Community
> members, other people in the quality world, etc. Quality is a big topic,
> and there are a lot of facets to it. I think running something like this
> and sharing it out widely might be a way that we get our message out there
> that we are here, we are looking for a few good community folk, and we
> would be happy to have them join us (we could make a quick 30 second pitch
> at the end of every podcast).
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Clint

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Cameron Dawson
Hey all— Podcasts can also be bi-directional.  I listen to a few, and some are broadcast at a specific time and have a lively IRC channel that they interact with, make mentions of and take questions from.  So it makes that a two-way street, which is nice.  But for those of us who don’t listen in live, it’s just a fun listen.

Just wanted to mention that it could be best of both worlds by being synchronous and interactive as well as asynchronous.

-Cam

P.S. - FWIW: the podcast I’m referring to is called “Mac Break Weekly.”  Usually an interesting listen if you’re a mac fanboy like me.  :)

mhoye
On 2015-03-02 11:49 AM, Cameron Dawson wrote:
> Hey all— Podcasts can also be bi-directional.  I listen to a few, and some are broadcast at a specific time and have a lively IRC channel that they interact with, make mentions of and take questions from.  So it makes that a two-way street, which is nice.  But for those of us who don’t listen in live, it’s just a fun listen.
>
> Just wanted to mention that it could be best of both worlds by being synchronous and interactive as well as asynchronous.
I came here to say what Cameron said. Podcast plus transcript plus IRC
notes is a pretty strong - and easily searched and syndicated! -
combination.

- mhoye

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Justin Potts
Hello,

As a contributor who attends the weekly (bi-weekly now), I thought I would
give my input. A lot of the times, especially when they were every week, I
had a lot of schoolwork and wasn't able to attend. I know some other
contributors could relate with work, and other engagements. Because or
this, it made attending these meetings hard, and I felt like I missed out
on a little bit of "What's going on in QA."

I feel like since these podcasts could be listened to at anytime, I could
catch up in my car, in between classes, and it would be much easier to stay
in the loop. Although the direct discussion isn't there like it usually is
(asking questions or diving deeper), the IRC channels are always pretty
active, allowing for the discussion to take place afterwards.

Tl;Dr: I think the podcasts would be an efficient way to engage members of
the community who would not regularly be able to attend the normal
meetings.

Let me know what you think.

Justin

On Friday, February 27, 2015, Clint Talbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ioana and I have been running this community call every two weeks, and it
> really has never taken off the way we'd hoped. I don't see a need to keep
> doing it, honestly, but I welcome other people's opinions here.
>
> Thinking more about the community call, it seems that no matter what we do
> it isn't achieving its biggest goal: reach a new set of potential
> contributors. Something AaronMT is always saying is that we have to "go to
> where the people are" and maybe the Community Call isn't going far enough
> outside the normal Mozilla orbit.
>
> So, I'd propose that we morph it into a Quality PodCast. Think of it like a
> radio show. Whoever is in charge of running the podcast would contact
> someone they want to interview, or someone they want to discuss a quality
> issue with and they would have a discussion, it would be recorded, and we
> could share it however people share podcasts - twitter, blogs, itunes,
> podomatic, whatever.
>
> I think this might be fun - you could interview people in other open source
> projects, people in different parts of the Mozilla Project, Community
> members, other people in the quality world, etc. Quality is a big topic,
> and there are a lot of facets to it. I think running something like this
> and sharing it out widely might be a way that we get our message out there
> that we are here, we are looking for a few good community folk, and we
> would be happy to have them join us (we could make a quick 30 second pitch
> at the end of every podcast).
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Clint

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Clint Talbert-3
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm not going to be the person to drive
this decision forward this time. So, my opinion is that we try this and we
cancel our ongoing community call experiment. I would encourage you to make
this pod/video/whatever cast about Software Quality and building a Quality
culture/community in general -- in other words, I'd encourage you to make
it broader and bigger than Mozilla so that you can reach as many people as
possible. But that too, is just my opinion.

So, like I said, I can't be the person to spearhead this one. We'll need
someone to step up and lead this new
podcast/videocast/whatever-you-want-it-to-be-cast experiment.  Are there
any takers?  And I do mean anyone--if you can be consistent with the
schedule you set for it, if you're committed to learning to do this well,
you can do it.  When I first started off at Mozilla creating a Quality
Community, I had very little experience and no frigging clue how I'd do
it.

And this is what I learned: You don't have to be an expert on day one. You
just have to be willing to learn to be an expert over time.

Best of luck!

Clint

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Clint Talbert-3
Hi folks,

It sounds like there is still discussion as to who is going to take
initiative and lead whatever form our quality community outreach takes. But
in the short term while we figure this out, there does seem to be clarity
that the community calls we have been doing aren't delivering what we
hoped, so we will suspend them from this point forward.

Thanks to everyone that helped with making them happen, and I look forward
to the next iteration of how we go about doing quality community outreach.

Thanks,
Clint

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Clint Talbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm not going to be the person to
> drive this decision forward this time. So, my opinion is that we try this
> and we cancel our ongoing community call experiment. I would encourage you
> to make this pod/video/whatever cast about Software Quality and building a
> Quality culture/community in general -- in other words, I'd encourage you
> to make it broader and bigger than Mozilla so that you can reach as many
> people as possible. But that too, is just my opinion.
>
> So, like I said, I can't be the person to spearhead this one. We'll need
> someone to step up and lead this new
> podcast/videocast/whatever-you-want-it-to-be-cast experiment.  Are there
> any takers?  And I do mean anyone--if you can be consistent with the
> schedule you set for it, if you're committed to learning to do this well,
> you can do it.  When I first started off at Mozilla creating a Quality
> Community, I had very little experience and no frigging clue how I'd do
> it.
>
> And this is what I learned: You don't have to be an expert on day one. You
> just have to be willing to learn to be an expert over time.
>
> Best of luck!
>
> Clint

Re: Community Call - Retrospective

Kamil Jozwiak
Thanks Clint, I've deleted the Community Call event from the Google
calendar (selected to notify all guests). We should probably create a quick
blog post under QMO on why the meeting was cancelled and what we're
planning on doing next to engage the community. This way, it won't seem
like we're just cancelling and "giving up" to those users who aren't
reading the mailing lists etc..