Color Coding

😉 Good Guy 😉

Do you think the colour coding in this Windows APP (yet to be released)
is a step forward in the right direction? Just trying to do something
different from the Windows colours we have used since 2001!!!

https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png <https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png>

--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re:Color Coding

Libor Striz
😉 Good Guy 😉 <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

>     Do you think the colour coding in this Windows APP (yet to be
>     released) is a step forward in the right direction? Just trying to
>     do something different from the Windows colours we have used since
>     2001!!!

>     --
>
>       With over 950 million devices now
>         running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
>         previous version of windows.

Typography rules say the author should use colours wisely, rather
 less than more, with very distinctive meaning of each colour.

The text and background  looking like a colouring book for children
should be avoided, as overcolouring rather distracts people than
 attracts them to important or otherwise relevant parts of
 text/document.

It would be like if traffic lights were placed every 20 meters.

--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Re: Color Coding

EnDeeGee
On 21-Aug.-2018 16:33, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> Do you think the colour coding in this Windows APP (yet to be released)
> is a step forward in the right direction? Just trying to do something
> different from the Windows colours we have used since 2001!!!
>

> https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png <https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png>

Very ugly looking piece of crap.

Re: Color Coding

Mark Rousell-3
On 21/08/2018 21:33, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> Do you think the colour coding in this Windows APP (yet to be
> released) is a step forward in the right direction? Just trying to do
> something different from the Windows colours we have used since 2001!!!
>

> https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png <https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png>

Agghhh!

However, if, unlikely though I expect it is, that was to go into
production then I am certain that users would get used to it. In
particular, they would get used to the button colours and see the
colours rather than the text. If you later changed the colours you'd
have loads of complaints!

--
Mark Rousell

Re: Color Coding

Mark Rousell-3
On 22/08/2018 01:33, Mark Rousell wrote:
[stuff]

Woohoo, the posting delay has gone away. Thank you to anyone who fettled
the mail software.

--
Mark Rousell

Re: Color Coding

GerardJan-8
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Color Coding

Wolf K.
On 2018-08-21 18:53, Libor Striz wrote:
[...]
> The text and background  looking like a colouring book for children
> should be avoided, as overcolouring rather distracts people than
>   attracts them to important or otherwise relevant parts of
>   text/document.
[...]

The above is a common notion about the effects of colour. The effect of
colour are complicated. Colour has profound and somewhat surprising
effects on cognition.

Colour enhances visual memory, especially if the colours are natural:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/color-images-more-memorab/

People's self-reported responses to colour conflicts with their
physiological responses, which suggests a cultural bias toward colour:
http://rsimons.psych.udel.edu/color3.htm

Colour has all kinds of positive effects from a marketing POV, including
increase in comprehension and memory:
http://rsimons.psych.udel.edu/color3.htm

Colour affects mood, which in turn affects cogntion and performance:
https://www.colormatters.com/q-and-a/qa-color-and-learning

Best,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Color Coding

Wolf K.
On 2018-08-21 19:11, EnDeeGee wrote:

> On 21-Aug.-2018 16:33, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
>>
>> Do you think the colour coding in this Windows APP (yet to be
>> released) is a step forward in the right direction? Just trying to do
>> something different from the Windows colours we have used since 2001!!!
>>

>> https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png <https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png>
>>

> Very ugly looking piece of crap.

Yup, just what we saw when all we had were 16 colours. :-)

Colour perception is as varied and idiosyncratic as taste and smell
perception. That's why paint stores flourish.

:-)

On 2018-08-22 08:48, GerardJan wrote:

> Mark Rousell wrote:
>> On 22/08/2018 01:33, Mark Rousell wrote:
>> [stuff]
>>
>> Woohoo, the posting delay has gone away. Thank you to anyone who fettled
>> the mail software.
>
> Mark,
> I am not an english native, (english is not my mother tongue).
> What is the meaning of /fettle/?
>>

> sincerely,

See https://www.wordnik.com/words/fettle

However, I've seen the verb used to mean "work on piece/part to bring it
best fit and/or appearance."

Best,

Wolf K <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

> On 2018-08-21 18:53, Libor Striz wrote:
> [...]
>> The text and background  looking like a colouring book for children
>> should be avoided, as overcolouring rather distracts people than
>>   attracts them to important or otherwise relevant parts of
>>   text/document.
> [...]
>
> The above is a common notion about the effects of colour. The effect of
> colour are complicated. Colour has profound and somewhat surprising
> effects on cognition.
>
> Colour enhances visual memory, especially if the colours are natural:
> https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/color-images-more-memorab/
>
> People's self-reported responses to colour conflicts with their
> physiological responses, which suggests a cultural bias toward colour:
> http://rsimons.psych.udel.edu/color3.htm
>
> Colour has all kinds of positive effects from a marketing POV, including
> increase in comprehension and memory:
> http://rsimons.psych.udel.edu/color3.htm
>
> Colour affects mood, which in turn affects cogntion and performance:
> https://www.colormatters.com/q-and-a/qa-color-and-learning
>
> Best,

But general effects of colours to human perception are different
 to effects in information presentation.

In the former it is part of primary perception, in the latter it
 is the secondary metainformation.

--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Re: Color Coding

Wolf K.
On 2018-08-22 10:40, Libor Striz wrote:

> Wolf K <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:
>> On 2018-08-21 18:53, Libor Striz wrote:
>> [...]
>>> The text and background  looking like a colouring book for children
>>> should be avoided, as overcolouring rather distracts people than
>>>    attracts them to important or otherwise relevant parts of
>>>    text/document.
>> [...]
>>
>> The above is a common notion about the effects of colour. The effect of
>> colour are complicated. Colour has profound and somewhat surprising
>> effects on cognition.
>>
>> Colour enhances visual memory, especially if the colours are natural:
>> https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/color-images-more-memorab/
>>
>> People's self-reported responses to colour conflicts with their
>> physiological responses, which suggests a cultural bias toward colour:
>> http://rsimons.psych.udel.edu/color3.htm
>>
>> Colour has all kinds of positive effects from a marketing POV, including
>> increase in comprehension and memory:
>> http://rsimons.psych.udel.edu/color3.htm
>>
>> Colour affects mood, which in turn affects cogntion and performance:
>> https://www.colormatters.com/q-and-a/qa-color-and-learning
>>
>> Best,
>>

> But general effects of colours to human perception are different
>   to effects in information presentation.
>
> In the former it is part of primary perception, in the latter it
>   is the secondary metainformation.

"Primary perception" affects everything else. Eg, the emotional effects
of colour affect how information is processed. In your case, you
apparently associate a multi-coloured information screen with "a
colouring book for children", which brings up a negative response. This
is also a nice example of how emotional responses are affected by
culture and personal experience.

Not to mention that "perception" is a fuzzy concept, covering everything
from highly focused attention to sub-aware response, so that any
discussion about design will be as fuzzy as the implicit assumptions
about perception.

Best,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
It's called an "opinion" because it's not a fact.

Re: Color Coding

Libor Striz
Wolf K <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

> "Primary perception" affects everything else. Eg, the emotional effects
> of colour affect how information is processed. In your case, you
> apparently associate a multi-coloured information screen with "a
> colouring book for children", which brings up a negative response. This
> is also a nice example of how emotional responses are affected by
> culture and personal experience.
>
> Not to mention that "perception" is a fuzzy concept, covering everything
> from highly focused attention to sub-aware response, so that any
> discussion about design will be as fuzzy as the implicit assumptions
> about perception.

Quite fuzzy statements,
compared to well  justified
and clear typographic  rules. :-)

--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Re: Color Coding

Mark Rousell-3
On 22/08/2018 13:48, GerardJan wrote:

> Mark Rousell wrote:
>> On 22/08/2018 01:33, Mark Rousell wrote:
>> [stuff]
>>
>> Woohoo, the posting delay has gone away. Thank you to anyone who fettled
>> the mail software.
>
> Mark,
> I am not an english native, (english is not my mother tongue).
> What is the meaning of /fettle/?

I used it to mean "fixed or made better". I.e. What Rolf K suggested,
"work on piece/part to bring it best fit and/or appearance".

The word is is sometimes used, often in a slightly light-hearted manner,
in relation to (often fiddly) work repairing things, making them work
better, or making them look better. I am not certain but it might be
more common in British English than other versions of English.

If you watch the tv programme 'Wheeler Dealers' then you may hear Edd
China using the word for his mechanical work from time to time.

--
Mark Rousell

Re: Color Coding

Mark Rousell-3
On 23/08/2018 00:59, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> On 22/08/2018 01:36, Mark Rousell wrote:
>> On 22/08/2018 01:33, Mark Rousell wrote:
>> [stuff]
>>
>> Woohoo, the posting delay has gone away. Thank you to anyone who fettled
>> the mail software.
>>

> There was no posting delay in this particular NG.  It is only the
> Firefox and Thunderbird newsgroups had some problems but they have
> been fixed.
>
> You might know that those two newsgroups are moderated so some posters
> here have their posts  delayed by up to 12 hours depending on the
> time-zone and when ChrisI logs-in.

(a) In fact there certainly was a mail posting delay on this group,
mozilla.general. The following recent messages of mine to this group
were delayed:

    (1)
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.general/EgxWP-QTvCs/jYond9WVCQAJ
    9th August, delayed about 6 hours
    (2)
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.general/EgxWP-QTvCs/exwWtQkmCgAJ
    10th August, delayed about 10.5 hours
    (3)
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.general/EgxWP-QTvCs/mObBB5dfCgAJ
    11th August, delayed about 7.5 hours
    (4)
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.general/EgxWP-QTvCs/Nii0hIRMCQAJ
    13th August, delayed about 9 hours
    (5)
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.general/EgxWP-QTvCs/V0Y6y2pICwAJ
    13th August, delayed about 8 hours

I also had one message to m.support.thunderbird on 15th August delayed
by 9 hours.

(N.B. I read and post to all the mozilla.* groups, including this one,
as mail lists.)

(b) I emailed Chris Ilias (on 17th August) to enquire as to whether
there was a technical problems or if my posts were being delayed by
moderation and he confirmed that none of my messages had gone through
the moderator queue (and that m.general is not moderated) and that I was
probably experiencing a server issue.

Hence my message of thanks to whoever it was who fixed the issue on the
server.

--
Mark Rousell

Re: Color Coding

Mark Rousell-3
On 23/08/2018 00:15, Mark Rousell wrote:
> I used it to mean "fixed or made better". I.e. What Rolf K suggested

When I wrote "Rolf K" above I of course meant to write "Wolf K". Sorry
about that!

--
Mark Rousell

Re: Color Coding

PietB-2
EnDeeGee wrote:
> Good Guy wrote:
>> Do you think the colour coding in this Windows APP (yet to be released)
>> is a step forward in the right direction? Just trying to do something
>> different from the Windows colours we have used since 2001!!!
>> https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png <https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png>
>
> Very ugly looking piece of crap.

Case of "onward we trod to the past". The checkbox texts should
be dancing gif's to complete the 90's look.

-p

Re: Color Coding

Wolf K.
On 2018-08-22 15:23, Libor Striz wrote:

> Wolf K <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:
>

>> "Primary perception" affects everything else. Eg, the emotional effects
>> of colour affect how information is processed. In your case, you
>> apparently associate a multi-coloured information screen with "a
>> colouring book for children", which brings up a negative response. This
>> is also a nice example of how emotional responses are affected by
>> culture and personal experience.
>>
>> Not to mention that "perception" is a fuzzy concept, covering everything
>> from highly focused attention to sub-aware response, so that any
>> discussion about design will be as fuzzy as the implicit assumptions
>> about perception.
>
> Quite fuzzy statements,
> compared to well  justified
> and clear typographic  rules. :-)

Touche. :-)

But keep in mind that since the rules are about perceptions, and
perceptions change (eg, they are subject to fashion), the rules change too.

On 2018-08-23 04:47, PietB wrote:

> EnDeeGee wrote:
>> Good Guy wrote:
>>> Do you think the colour coding in this Windows APP (yet to be released)
>>> is a step forward in the right direction? Just trying to do something
>>> different from the Windows colours we have used since 2001!!!
>>> https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png <https://i.imgur.com/L9biHMU.png>
>>
>> Very ugly looking piece of crap.
>
> Case of "onward we trod to the past". The checkbox texts should
> be dancing gif's to complete the 90's look.
>
> -p

Please note: "trod" is the past tense of "tread".

Just one of the half dozen or so solecisms that really, really make my
teeth grate.

:-)

Best,

On 2018-08-22 21:52, Mark Rousell wrote:
> On 23/08/2018 00:15, Mark Rousell wrote:
>> I used it to mean "fixed or made better". I.e. What Rolf K suggested
>
> When I wrote "Rolf K" above I of course meant to write "Wolf K". Sorry
> about that!

Well, since Rolf is short for Rudolf, which means "famous wolf", I can't
say I'm offended. :-)

Best,

Wolf K wrote:

> PietB wrote:
>>>
>>> Very ugly looking piece of crap.
>>
>> Case of "onward we trod to the past". The checkbox texts should
>> be dancing gif's to complete the 90's look.
>
> Please note: "trod" is the past tense of "tread".

Please note that "trod" is also the past participle of "tread".
In this case it stands for "mission accomplished". Of course
there's always room for retrograde "improvement".

-p