Class action Law Suit against Google

Jeff Barnett
I just received an email with subject "Notice of Class Action Settlement
re Google Plus – Your Rights May Be Affected" from
   "[hidden email]".
Has anyone else received or heard about this? I have no idea if this is
real, spam, or malicious and am curious. The amount of money reported to
be available is trivial so I'm not going to pursue it in any event but,
like I said, I am curious.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Class action Law Suit against Google

Wolf K.
On 2020-08-05 00:36, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I just received an email with subject "Notice of Class Action Settlement
> re Google Plus – Your Rights May Be Affected" from
>    "[hidden email]".
> Has anyone else received or heard about this? I have no idea if this is
> real, spam, or malicious and am curious. The amount of money reported to
> be available is trivial so I'm not going to pursue it in any event but,
> like I said, I am curious.

It's spam.

"-oreply" is one clue. What's the "o" doing there?

The absence of any mention of this on the main stream media is another.

Have a good day,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Class action Law Suit against Google

Big Al-3
On 8/5/20 12:36 AM, this is what Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I just received an email with subject "Notice of Class Action Settlement re Google Plus – Your Rights May Be Affected" from
>    "[hidden email]".
> Has anyone else received or heard about this? I have no idea if this is real, spam, or malicious and am curious. The amount of money
> reported to be available is trivial so I'm not going to pursue it in any event but, like I said, I am curious.

Someone posted this on the Windows 10 newsgroup, not sure if it's exactly what you're talking about though:

Dateline today... verbatim...

   "people who had a Google+ account between January 1, 2015 and April 2,
    2019 may be entitled to a portion of the $7.5 million class-action
    settlement reached in January. Back in 2018, Google admitted that up
    to 500,000 Google+ profiles were affected by a vulnerability, though
    it claimed to have found no evidence that any developer knew how to
    exploit the API bug."
o Google+ users may be entitled to a whopping $12 cash settlement due to privacy issues
<https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/04/google-users-may-be-entitled-to-a-whopping-12-cash-settlement-due-to-privacy-issues/>

   "The deadline is October 8, 2020."
    <http://googleplusdatalitigation.com/>

Note: Google confirmed the address according to that article even as the
"Cisco Umbrella" apparently calls it a phishing site (go figure).
Rav

On 8/5/2020 12:36 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I just received an email with subject "Notice of Class Action Settlement
> re Google Plus – Your Rights May Be Affected" from
>    "[hidden email]".
> Has anyone else received or heard about this? I have no idea if this is
> real, spam, or malicious and am curious. The amount of money reported to
> be available is trivial so I'm not going to pursue it in any event but,
> like I said, I am curious.

Not only is the MAXIMUM distribution per person only $12, the INITIAL
MAXIMUM distribution is only $5, and you might not get even THAT much if
there are too many claimants:

"The Net Settlement Fund shall be allocated to Claimants on a
pro rata basis up to an initial maximum distribution of US$5.00 per
Claimant. If there are insufficient funds to pay claimants $5.00 based
on the number of claimants, the payment to each claimant will be reduced
pro ratably. If sufficient funds remain after calculation of the
aggregate initial maximum distribution of US$5.00 per Claimant, the
allocation shall be recalculated on a pro rata basis up to a maximum
distribution of up to US$12.00 per Claimant."