Chrome's Final Countdown for NPAPI

Chris Peterson-12
Google has published their current timeline [1] to remove Chrome's NPAPI
support in 2015:

* January 2014: most NPAPI plugins were made click-to-play.
* January 2015: all NPAPI plugins will be click-to-play.
* September 2015: NPAPI support will be removed entirely.

Does Mozilla have a similar timeline to remove Firefox's NPAPI support?
This plugin code is a maintenance burden, but might continued support
for NPAPI be a competitive advantage for Firefox over Chrome? Will
Chromium users be able to play Flash content with Chrome's Flash PPAPI
plugin?

chris

[1] http://blog.chromium.org/2014/11/the-final-countdown-for-npapi.html

Re: Chrome's Final Countdown for NPAPI

Benjamin Smedberg

On 11/24/2014 3:43 PM, Chris Peterson wrote:
> Google has published their current timeline [1] to remove Chrome's
> NPAPI support in 2015:
>
> * January 2014: most NPAPI plugins were made click-to-play.
> * January 2015: all NPAPI plugins will be click-to-play.
> * September 2015: NPAPI support will be removed entirely.
>
> Does Mozilla have a similar timeline to remove Firefox's NPAPI support?
No. We don't like plugins from an engineering perspective, and we
consider them a legacy technology. But we don't have a strategy to
completely remove support for NPAPI, at least partly because of Flash.

> This plugin code is a maintenance burden, but might continued support
> for NPAPI be a competitive advantage for Firefox over Chrome? Will
> Chromium users be able to play Flash content with Chrome's Flash PPAPI
> plugin?

Apparently it's possible if you copy the files out, yes.

--BDS