Chrome question regarding Thunderbird 1.5rc2

Chrome question regarding Thunderbird 1.5rc2

JasonB-2
I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for well over a year now and love it
to bits.  The only niggle I have with it is the fact that when I move
the focus from the Newgroup List/Email folder to the viewer/contents
pane the currently highlighted folder/newsgroup changes from a dark blue
background to a light grey background.

I'm sure that normally this wouldn't be a problem on other monitors but
on my 17" LCD panel the light grey is virtually indistinguishable from
the white background.  This got me thinking......

Is it possible to modify the background color used via an extension?  If
so which one?

If this is something that can only be changed manually what would I need
to change?

I should also point out that I use the Phoenity Theme but I don't know
if it's the theme that would need to be patched or whether this could be
patched outside of any particular theme in use.

I've included a link to an image that hopefully demonstrates what I mean.

http://www.jasonb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/moz-background.jpg

JasonB

Re: Chrome question regarding Thunderbird 1.5rc2

JasonB-2
JasonB wrote:

> I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for well over a year now and love it
> to bits.  The only niggle I have with it is the fact that when I move
> the focus from the Newgroup List/Email folder to the viewer/contents
> pane the currently highlighted folder/newsgroup changes from a dark blue
> background to a light grey background.
>
> I'm sure that normally this wouldn't be a problem on other monitors but
> on my 17" LCD panel the light grey is virtually indistinguishable from
> the white background.  This got me thinking......
>
> Is it possible to modify the background color used via an extension?  If
> so which one?
>
> If this is something that can only be changed manually what would I need
> to change?
>
> I should also point out that I use the Phoenity Theme but I don't know
> if it's the theme that would need to be patched or whether this could be
> patched outside of any particular theme in use.
>
> I've included a link to an image that hopefully demonstrates what I mean.
>
> http://www.jasonb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/moz-background.jpg

I've been able to change the background colours of the group by bars in
the email contents pane (the pane that displays the list of email
messages in the inbox folder) by adding some code in the userChrome.js
preferences file.  It doesn't have any effect on the highlight used
within the sidebar pane though.

JasonB

Re: Chrome question regarding Thunderbird 1.5rc2

Sean Smith-2
JasonB wrote:

> JasonB wrote:
>> I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for well over a year now and love
>> it to bits.  The only niggle I have with it is the fact that when I
>> move the focus from the Newgroup List/Email folder to the
>> viewer/contents pane the currently highlighted folder/newsgroup
>> changes from a dark blue background to a light grey background.
>>
>> I'm sure that normally this wouldn't be a problem on other monitors
>> but on my 17" LCD panel the light grey is virtually indistinguishable
>> from the white background.  This got me thinking......
>>
>> Is it possible to modify the background color used via an extension?
>> If so which one?
>>
>> If this is something that can only be changed manually what would I
>> need to change?
>>
>> I should also point out that I use the Phoenity Theme but I don't know
>> if it's the theme that would need to be patched or whether this could
>> be patched outside of any particular theme in use.
>>
>> I've included a link to an image that hopefully demonstrates what I mean.
>>
>> http://www.jasonb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/moz-background.jpg
>>
> I've been able to change the background colours of the group by bars in
> the email contents pane (the pane that displays the list of email
> messages in the inbox folder) by adding some code in the userChrome.js
> preferences file.  It doesn't have any effect on the highlight used
> within the sidebar pane though.

You can solve this issue by modifying a file called userChrome.css in your profile
folder.  This file does not exist by default and needs to be created by you.  You can
make and edit this file with a simple text editor like Notepad or Wordpad.

This is the lines of code you need to put into the file:

/* For addressbook sidebar in compose window: keep selected row obvious */
    #folderPaneBox treechildren::-moz-tree-row(selected) {
    background-color: black !important;
    }
    #folderPaneBox treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected) {
    background-color: black !important;
    color: white !important;
    }

The userChrome.css file goes in the chrome subfolder of your profile folder, which you
can find by perusing this:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

You can learn about editing the user files here:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#css

Good luck, and let us know if that did what you are after.  It seemed to be working for
me, based on my understanding of your request.  And yes, your theme makes a difference.
  I use Winstripe, and was not noticing the problem you described.  As soon as I went to
the default theme, I figured out what you were talking about.  :)

--
-Sean

Sean Smith wrote:
> JasonB wrote:
>> JasonB wrote:

<snip>

> You can solve this issue by modifying a file called userChrome.css in
> your profile
> folder.  This file does not exist by default and needs to be created by
> you.  You can
> make and edit this file with a simple text editor like Notepad or Wordpad.
>
> This is the lines of code you need to put into the file:
>
> /* For addressbook sidebar in compose window: keep selected row obvious */
>    #folderPaneBox treechildren::-moz-tree-row(selected) {
>    background-color: black !important;
>    }
>    #folderPaneBox treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected) {
>    background-color: black !important;
>    color: white !important;
>    }
>
> The userChrome.css file goes in the chrome subfolder of your profile
> folder, which you
> can find by perusing this:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
>
> You can learn about editing the user files here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#css
>
> Good luck, and let us know if that did what you are after.  It seemed to
> be working for
> me, based on my understanding of your request.  And yes, your theme
> makes a difference.  I use Winstripe, and was not noticing the problem
> you described.  As soon as I went to
> the default theme, I figured out what you were talking about.  :)

Yep, that's worked for me ;-).  I've been using the ChromEdit extension
to edit the preferences so adding/removing things like this is a bit of
a snap.  What's been troubling me is that I've had no idea what
preference to alter to effect the highlight colour.

Where did you find out what preferences altered which bits of the chrome
interface?

Thanks so much for your help!

JasonB

Re: Chrome question regarding Thunderbird 1.5rc2

Sean Smith-2
JasonB wrote:

<snip>

> Yep, that's worked for me ;-).  I've been using the ChromEdit extension
> to edit the preferences so adding/removing things like this is a bit of
> a snap.  What's been troubling me is that I've had no idea what
> preference to alter to effect the highlight colour.
>
> Where did you find out what preferences altered which bits of the chrome
> interface?
>
> Thanks so much for your help!

I'm glad that worked for you.  I'll agree that ChromEdit is a great extension for
modding these files.  As far as figuring out what things are called, I did some reading
in the MozillaZine Knowledge Base:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_background_colors

I won't kid you, there was some guess work involved throughout my travels with my
userChrome, but eventually, and with the help of some of the nice themers that hang out
in the Themes forum over at MozillaZine, I was able to do what I wanted.

-Sean

Re: Chrome question regarding Thunderbird 1.5rc2

M Cowperthwaite
Sean Smith wrote:

> JasonB wrote:
>
>> Yep, that's worked for me ;-).  I've been using the ChromEdit
>> extension to edit the preferences so adding/removing things like this
>> is a bit of a snap.  What's been troubling me is that I've had no idea
>> what preference to alter to effect the highlight colour.
>>
>> Where did you find out what preferences altered which bits of the
>> chrome interface?
>
> I'm glad that worked for you.  I'll agree that ChromEdit is a great
> extension for modding these files.  As far as figuring out what things
> are called, I did some reading in the MozillaZine Knowledge Base:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_background_colors
>
> I won't kid you, there was some guess work involved throughout my
> travels with my userChrome, but eventually, and with the help of some of
> the nice themers that hang out in the Themes forum over at MozillaZine,
> I was able to do what I wanted.

NB: They're not "preferences", they're selectors for elements, classes
and IDs.

Using the DOM Inspector, it's pretty simple to find out the names of the
elements, classes and IDs in use, but figuring out the trickier things like
   treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(news, watch)
require deeper resources.

--
Michael Cowperthwaite

To send mail, remove 'Z's from the poster's email address.