Chatzilla crashes - SeaMonkey 2.0.1 (linux)

Chatzilla crashes - SeaMonkey 2.0.1 (linux)

NoOp-5
First time using chatzilla w/SeaMonkey 2.0.1 (have been using it in
earlier versions) and chatzilla crashes SeaMonkey. Crash report:

<http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-14476590-a64c-4b8f-83eb-c1eef2091231>

Reopened SeaMonkey, opened Chatzilla, opened the preferences
(Edit|Preferences|Chatzilla) & tried closing preferences & Chatzilla and
was able to reproduce the crash:

<http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/c00f3e5c-8b13-4d66-9a9f-500ad2091231>

Can a dev take a look & let me know if there is a related bug report
and/or any additional info that I can provide to assist in resolving this?

Re: Chatzilla crashes - SeaMonkey 2.0.1 (linux)

James Ross
"NoOp" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> First time using chatzilla w/SeaMonkey 2.0.1 (have been using it in
> earlier versions) and chatzilla crashes SeaMonkey. Crash report:
>
> <http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-14476590-a64c-4b8f-83eb-c1eef2091231>
>
> Reopened SeaMonkey, opened Chatzilla, opened the preferences
> (Edit|Preferences|Chatzilla) & tried closing preferences & Chatzilla and
> was able to reproduce the crash:
>
> <http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/c00f3e5c-8b13-4d66-9a9f-500ad2091231>
>
> Can a dev take a look & let me know if there is a related bug report
> and/or any additional info that I can provide to assist in resolving this?

It looks to me like line 501 at
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/annotate/cb5a303025fe/toolkit/components/remote/nsGTKRemoteService.cpp#l496
is getting a bogus pointer passed in, maybe from
nsBaseAppShell::DoProcessNextNativeEvent, but this is just based on the
stack and observation of the code.

As these are native code crashes, ChatZilla can be nothing more than a
trigger for them - I think Core: Widget is a good component to start with. I
can not see any existing bugs that match the signature of these ones.

You should file a bug (the crashes seem to have identical stacks at the top,
so just 1 bug) and include/use "[@ nsQueryReferent::operator()(nsID const&,
void**) const ]" in the bug summary to ensure the crash reports are linked
to the bug automatically. I do not know of any information that might be
useful, besides the crashes and of course the steps you used to reproduce
it.

--
James Ross <[hidden email]>

On 01/01/2010 05:55 AM, James Ross wrote:

> "NoOp" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> First time using chatzilla w/SeaMonkey 2.0.1 (have been using it in
>> earlier versions) and chatzilla crashes SeaMonkey. Crash report:
>>
>> <http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-14476590-a64c-4b8f-83eb-c1eef2091231>
>>
>> Reopened SeaMonkey, opened Chatzilla, opened the preferences
>> (Edit|Preferences|Chatzilla) & tried closing preferences & Chatzilla and
>> was able to reproduce the crash:
>>
>> <http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/c00f3e5c-8b13-4d66-9a9f-500ad2091231>
>>
>> Can a dev take a look & let me know if there is a related bug report
>> and/or any additional info that I can provide to assist in resolving this?
>
> It looks to me like line 501 at
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/annotate/cb5a303025fe/toolkit/components/remote/nsGTKRemoteService.cpp#l496
> is getting a bogus pointer passed in, maybe from
> nsBaseAppShell::DoProcessNextNativeEvent, but this is just based on the
> stack and observation of the code.
>
> As these are native code crashes, ChatZilla can be nothing more than a
> trigger for them - I think Core: Widget is a good component to start with. I
> can not see any existing bugs that match the signature of these ones.
>
> You should file a bug (the crashes seem to have identical stacks at the top,
> so just 1 bug) and include/use "[@ nsQueryReferent::operator()(nsID const&,
> void**) const ]" in the bug summary to ensure the crash reports are linked
> to the bug automatically. I do not know of any information that might be
> useful, besides the crashes and of course the steps you used to reproduce
> it.

Thanks James. I've been trying to get chatzilla to crash SeaMonkey
2.0.2pre and so far it has not. I'll spend some time testing this
weekend in SM 2.0.1 (using clean test profiles etc) and submit a bug
report. Thanks again for having a look.