Changing mail provider in SMPmW118 (SeaMonkey)?

Changing mail provider in SMPmW118 (SeaMonkey)?

Christer Jacobsson
As Salaam Aleikum!

She's about to change Her broadband provider with one that can deliver
100Mbit/s instead of the current low 30Mbit/s over the phone line. Now
it so happens that She owns Her email adress '[hidden email]'
and the new ISP have promised Her that's OK for them if She continues to
use the abovementioned email adress. So would changing the settings for
fetching and sending be as simple as updating the Server settings and
Outgoing mail in the "Mail and account settings" as soon as the new ISP
is connected to the box and the old ISP's gateway are disconnected?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 20th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Changing mail provider in SMPmW118 (SeaMonkey)?

Robert Blair-2
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 15:33:34 UTC, Christer Jacobsson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> She's about to change Her broadband provider with one that can deliver
> 100Mbit/s instead of the current low 30Mbit/s over the phone line. Now
> it so happens that She owns Her email adress '[hidden email]'
> and the new ISP have promised Her that's OK for them if She continues to
> use the abovementioned email adress. So would changing the settings for
> fetching and sending be as simple as updating the Server settings and
> Outgoing mail in the "Mail and account settings" as soon as the new ISP
> is connected to the box and the old ISP's gateway are disconnected?

If her domain name is hosted by her current ISP and she transfers the domain
name to the new ISP then yes you will need to change the email server
settings.  If she leaves the domain name hosted where it currently is then
nothing changes.  I use a hosting company for my private domains so the only
time I need to change email server settings is if I change hosting companies.

--
Robert Blair

Robert Blair wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 15:33:34 UTC, Christer Jacobsson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> As Salaam Aleikum!
>>
>> She's about to change Her broadband provider with one that can deliver
>> 100Mbit/s instead of the current low 30Mbit/s over the phone line. Now
>> it so happens that She owns Her email adress '[hidden email]'
>> and the new ISP have promised Her that's OK for them if She continues to
>> use the abovementioned email adress. So would changing the settings for
>> fetching and sending be as simple as updating the Server settings and
>> Outgoing mail in the "Mail and account settings" as soon as the new ISP
>> is connected to the box and the old ISP's gateway are disconnected?
>
> If her domain name is hosted by her current ISP and she transfers the domain
> name to the new ISP then yes you will need to change the email server
> settings.  If she leaves the domain name hosted where it currently is then
> nothing changes.  I use a hosting company for my private domains so the only
> time I need to change email server settings is if I change hosting companies.

The domain 'gaea.se' is owned by Her small hobby firm but registered by
a company called ".SE Direkt" which administers all Swedish domain
names, i.e. those that ends with .se and they bills Her about 250SEK /
$30 per year for keeping the domain 'gaea.se' alive. She created this
domain in 1995 via Her hobby firm (private persons couldn't create
domains back then) when She first signed up with Tele2 (a Swedish ISP)
for a dial-up internet connection. After that She have used different
ISPs over the years; Telia, Bredbandsbolaget, Telia again (Her current
ISP) and now She will switch to ComHem as Her new ISP provider. And
there have never been any problems with the mail access when switching
from one ISP to another, they seem to have repointed Her domain to their
own nameservers automagically. Why She asks this that when the new ISP
are connected and running, She will terminate Her broadband service from
Telia as She won't be using their services anymore except for Her old
and trustworthy POTS telephone service which will work even if there is
a power outage that brings down the router and computer; POTS have it's
own power supply over the telephone line, so even if Umeaa is blacked
out, the old telephone will still work so if She have to call 911 if She
gets seriously ill, that old POTS telephone will still function, thank
the Great Mother for that!

So either ComHem will repoint Her domain to use their nameservers or She
will have to do it manually from the Domain Hanldler in .SE Direkt's
website; they explains wery well how this should be done on their website.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan