Changing Firefox default homepage for multiple users

Changing Firefox default homepage for multiple users

Shaldaman
Hi,

I'm using a Windows machine with multiple user accounts. I log in as
Administrator and set the default homepage in Firefox to the one I want
but it only works for the Administrator account. Each time I log in as
Administrator and open Firefox, I see the desired homepage but whenever
other users log in and open Firefox, they don't see the page I set as
default homepage.

Is there a way to go into the registry and change settings so that the
default homepage for Firefox will be the same for all guest users on
the local machine?

Thanks
Shaleel

Re: Changing Firefox default homepage for multiple users

Leonidas Jones
Shaldaman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a Windows machine with multiple user accounts. I log in as
> Administrator and set the default homepage in Firefox to the one I want
> but it only works for the Administrator account. Each time I log in as
> Administrator and open Firefox, I see the desired homepage but whenever
> other users log in and open Firefox, they don't see the page I set as
> default homepage.
>
> Is there a way to go into the registry and change settings so that the
> default homepage for Firefox will be the same for all guest users on
> the local machine?
>
> Thanks
> Shaleel

Each account has its own profile.  Just open FF in the Guest account,
and set the start page as you desire.

Lee

Re: Changing Firefox default homepage for multiple users

Shaldaman
Hi Lee

We're using Active Directory so our user accounts and corresponding
profiles are created each time a new user logs in to a particular
machine. If I had a fixed number of user accounts on a machine, I could
do what you suggested but since I wouldn't have any idea of knowing how
many users would use the machine, it would be tiresome to go in and
change the default homepage for every single user. Right now, the
machine I'm using to send this reply has 18 user profiles already.

Is there a way to set it in the Default User profile or something? I
appreciate your response.

Thanks
Shaleel

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Each account has its own profile.  Just open FF in the Guest account,
> and set the start page as you desire.
>
> Lee

Re: Changing Firefox default homepage for multiple users

Matt Nordhoff
On 01/09/06 11:13, Shaldaman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a Windows machine with multiple user accounts. I log in as
> Administrator and set the default homepage in Firefox to the one I want
> but it only works for the Administrator account. Each time I log in as
> Administrator and open Firefox, I see the desired homepage but whenever
> other users log in and open Firefox, they don't see the page I set as
> default homepage.
>
> Is there a way to go into the registry and change settings so that the
> default homepage for Firefox will be the same for all guest users on
> the local machine?
>
> Thanks
> Shaleel

No, but you could edit the <Firefox>/defaults/pref/firefox.js file and
replace "resource:/browserconfig.properties" with the URL. You'd
probably have to re-do this with every upgrade, at least if you
reinstall it.
--
Happy birthday to ME!
("ME" referring to the sender of this message, Matthew P. Nordhoff

Re: Changing Firefox default homepage for multiple users

Shaldaman
Hi Matt

I replaced the  "resource:/browserconfig.properties" in both these
preferences with the URL. It works fine as Administrator but when I log
in as one of the guest accounts, the default homepage is blank.

pref("browser.startup.homepage",
"resource:/browserconfig.properties");
pref("browser.startup.homepage_reset",
"resource:/browserconfig.properties");

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks
Shaleel

Re: Changing Firefox default homepage for multiple users

Shaldaman
Matt,

Thanks for your response. I changed the following preference:
pref("browser.startup.homepage",
"resource:/browserconfig.properties");

I replaced the  "resource:/browserconfig.properties" with the URL but
now a blank page opens. When I go to Tools>Options on the browser to
see what the default URL is, the field is blank.

Do I need to change any other setting? Or am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks
Shaleel