Changed profiles in both Firefox and Thunderbird

Changed profiles in both Firefox and Thunderbird

TH-4
Suddenly both Firefox 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5rc1 have lost all
information about my profile and created new profiles in "Documents and
settings\User account\Application Data"  and "Documents and
settings\User account\Local settings". Normally you should be able to
just copy the old profile to the new one but now something more serious
seems to have happened. I uninstalled (using the Control Panel) and
reinstalled both programmes without any success. Thunderbird could not
even start, instead there was an error message "Previous install did not
comple correctly. Finishing install".

Repeating the uninstall/reinstall now with clearing the registry,  using
Norton Utilities,  and renaming the Mozilla/Thunderbird folders to
"..._x" led to the same result with error message returning. So where is
Thunderbird saving the information about earlier installs? I  also tried
installing FF/TB 1.07 without any success.

--
th