Certificate Keeps Popping Up ???

Jay Garcia
A cert for STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG keeps popping up at random times even
when I am not connected to any sites in Firefox, etc. Just pops up as a
security alert that the cert is not valid and wants me to install it. I
don't of course. Anyone know anything about this??? Can't find anything
related as malware or virus on this.

Thanks, Jay

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: Certificate Keeps Popping Up ???

Ron Hunter
On 4/3/2015 8:17 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> A cert for STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG keeps popping up at random times even
> when I am not connected to any sites in Firefox, etc. Just pops up as a
> security alert that the cert is not valid and wants me to install it. I
> don't of course. Anyone know anything about this??? Can't find anything
> related as malware or virus on this.
>
> Thanks, Jay

Sounds like you might have an adware infestation.  I had one that was so
bad that to get rid of it, I had to restore my system to OOB condition.
Damn nuisance!

Re: Certificate Keeps Popping Up ???

Rinaldi
Jay Garcia decreed, Read These Runes!:
> A cert for STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG keeps popping up at random times even
> when I am not connected to any sites in Firefox, etc. Just pops up as a
> security alert that the cert is not valid and wants me to install it. I
> don't of course. Anyone know anything about this??? Can't find anything
> related as malware or virus on this.
>
> Thanks, Jay

Interesting:

:~$ host STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG
STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG is an alias for www.worldcat.org.edgekey.net.
www.worldcat.org.edgekey.net is an alias for e5579.g.akamaiedge.net.
e5579.g.akamaiedge.net has address 172.230.10.173

--
Don't be humble ... you're not that great.
                -- Golda Meir

On 03.04.2015 08:25, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 4/3/2015 8:17 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> A cert for STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG keeps popping up at random times even
>> when I am not connected to any sites in Firefox, etc. Just pops up as a
>> security alert that the cert is not valid and wants me to install it. I
>> don't of course. Anyone know anything about this??? Can't find anything
>> related as malware or virus on this.
>>
>> Thanks, Jay
>>
> Sounds like you might have an adware infestation.  I had one that was so
> bad that to get rid of it, I had to restore my system to OOB condition.
> Damn nuisance!

I did an adware scan AND a malwarebytes scan, turned up nothing.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/
Mozilla Mozillian Member - www.mozillians.org

Re: Certificate Keeps Popping Up ???

Mike Easter-2
Jay Garcia wrote:
> A cert for STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG keeps popping up at random times even
> when I am not connected to any sites in Firefox, etc. Just pops up as a
> security alert that the cert is not valid and wants me to install it.

See if you can make any sense or useful info out of this site:

http://certificate.revocationcheck.com/static1.worldcat.org#static1.worldcat.org

CRL & OCSP report for static1.worldcat.org (OCLC Online Computer Library
Center Inc.)

--
Mike Easter

On 03.04.2015 23:10, Mike Easter wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> A cert for STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG keeps popping up at random times even
>> when I am not connected to any sites in Firefox, etc. Just pops up as a
>> security alert that the cert is not valid and wants me to install it.
>
> See if you can make any sense or useful info out of this site:
>
> http://certificate.revocationcheck.com/static1.worldcat.org#static1.worldcat.org
>
> CRL & OCSP report for static1.worldcat.org (OCLC Online Computer Library
> Center Inc.)

Saw that, can't make any sense of it. No idea what app/software is using
it but it just pops up randomly w/o any applications open and running.
Possibly a service, dunno. Also pops up on the wifes machine as well and
all she usually runs is Seamonkey.

thanks

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/
Mozilla Mozillian Member - www.mozillians.org

Re: Certificate Keeps Popping Up ???

Christian Riechers-3
On 04.04.2015 06:31, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.04.2015 23:10, Mike Easter wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> A cert for STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG keeps popping up at random times even
>>> when I am not connected to any sites in Firefox, etc. Just pops up as a
>>> security alert that the cert is not valid and wants me to install it.
>>
>> See if you can make any sense or useful info out of this site:
>>
>> http://certificate.revocationcheck.com/static1.worldcat.org#static1.worldcat.org
>>
>> CRL & OCSP report for static1.worldcat.org (OCLC Online Computer Library
>> Center Inc.)
>
> Saw that, can't make any sense of it. No idea what app/software is using
> it but it just pops up randomly w/o any applications open and running.
> Possibly a service, dunno. Also pops up on the wifes machine as well and
> all she usually runs is Seamonkey.

A screenshot would probably be a good idea.

On 4/3/2015 10:32 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.04.2015 08:25, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> On 4/3/2015 8:17 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> A cert for STATIC1.WORLDCAT.ORG keeps popping up at random times even
>>> when I am not connected to any sites in Firefox, etc. Just pops up as a
>>> security alert that the cert is not valid and wants me to install it. I
>>> don't of course. Anyone know anything about this??? Can't find anything
>>> related as malware or virus on this.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Jay
>>>
>> Sounds like you might have an adware infestation.  I had one that was so
>> bad that to get rid of it, I had to restore my system to OOB condition.
>> Damn nuisance!
>>

> I did an adware scan AND a malwarebytes scan, turned up nothing.

They don't catch everything, and the ones that do often do more damage
than the adware, which is why I have a newly restored desktop computer.
  A format, and reinstall of the OS DOES get rid of malware, adware, and
virus problems.