Cast your vote for Win8

OT: Apple reportedly to release US$799 MacBook Air in 3Q12

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
3/22/2012 2:39 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 3/22/2012 12:25 PM:
>> On 3/22/2012 8:38 AM On a whim, PhillipJones pounded out on the keyboard
>>

>>> I didn't get that take from the article. But I would agree. They would
>>> still have to, for RD  for example there is talk of version of office
>>> for the iPad.
>>>

>> All MS has to do is pull the plug on Office for Mac and Windows
>> support.  Poof!  No more Apple's in the office environment.
>>
>> I'm personally surprised MS continues to support Apple with Office and
>> Windows, and yet Apple won't allow any of their software to run on a
>> non-Apple machine.
>>
> This is one of the inexplicable things brought up in that discussion.
> Microsoft is way behind the curve with tablets and desperately needs to
> differentiate itself with Metro if it's going to have any hope of
> gaining traction yet they recently announced that -- READY? -- They'll
> be offering Office 15 for the iPad.
>
> It's almost as though they've been infiltrated by Apple covert
> operatives in leadership roles to do everything they can to kill their
> future.

REF: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120507PD214.html

[excerpt quote="
However, the sources believe that ultrabooks are unlikely to achieve
strong sales performance until the launch of Windows 8.
" \]

Is Apple Smelling Blood in the Water?

If Apple can pull this off, why would anyone choose an untested new Win8
ultrabook when they could get a time-tested OSX system for cheaper?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Windows 8 'bad' for desktop users - Gartner's one-word review

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
4/25/2012 6:36 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 3/13/2012 9:42 AM:
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>>
> REF:
> http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2012/04/windows-8-on-the-desktopan-awkward-hybrid.ars
>

> Ars gives what appears to be a detailed honest-broker evaluation of Win8
> desktop. They even find several things they like. However, in the end,
> try as they might to be positive, they conclude:
>
> [excerpt quote="
> They just don't fit together well. For tablet users, the whole is
> probably greater than the sum of the parts, and the individual decisions
> add up to a slick touch environment. But they're problematic for
> dedicated desktop users, and mixed Metro/desktop usage looks like a real
> mess.
>
> The only way to make the experience work smoothly is to ignore the Metro
> parts (aside from the Start screen). And if you're going to do that,
> what's the point of giving desktop users Metro apps at all?
> " /]
>
> The reader comments are much less sanguine.

REF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/23/gartner_windows_8_review/

[excerpt quote="
“Unfortunately, my area of expertise is enterprise desktops, and those
desktops have a keyboard and a mouse; and as much as this doesn’t make
any sense, it seems to me that Microsoft forgot about this when they
designed Windows 8.”
" /]

Hey, it coulda been worser. They coulda used the hyphenated "butt-ugly"
descriptor.