Cast your vote for Win8

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

rebro
Am 22.03.2012 08:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:

> On 3/21/2012 9:45 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 3/13/2012 9:42 AM:
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>>>

>> REF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/21/microbite_episode_34/
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> After some rowdy Apple-style rah-rah fanboidom, it has quickly become
>> apparent that the focus on tablets makes Microsoft’s Windows 8 difficult
>> and frustrating to use for those running a Windows 7 or even a Window XP
>> machine.
>> " /]
>>
>> One of the best and most honest discussions regarding Microsoft's
>> directions that I've yet heard. Mary Jo Foley (of ZDNet) is a long time
>> journalist on all things Microsoft and has been unbiased in her
>> assessments but, generally, willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the
>> doubt.
>>
>> If you have 30 minutes, it will be most revealing regarding dismal
>> outlook for them and what seems to be a leaderless hodge-podge of odd
>> decisions coming from them as of late.
>>
>> I'd say, if you own Microsoft stock, now is the time to sell!
>>
> I agree. After Windows 8 is released, the stock will be about where
> American Airlines is now...

You might be right: "...Microsoft tablet freezes up during Windows 8
stage demo"
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2118239/Sign-things-come-Microsoft-tablet-freezes-Windows-8-demo.html)
-rebro

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

PhillipJones
rebro wrote:

> Am 22.03.2012 08:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
>> On 3/21/2012 9:45 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>>> with on 3/13/2012 9:42 AM:
>>>>

>>> REF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/21/microbite_episode_34/
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> After some rowdy Apple-style rah-rah fanboidom, it has quickly become
>>> apparent that the focus on tablets makes Microsoft’s Windows 8 difficult
>>> and frustrating to use for those running a Windows 7 or even a Window XP
>>> machine.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> One of the best and most honest discussions regarding Microsoft's
>>> directions that I've yet heard. Mary Jo Foley (of ZDNet) is a long time
>>> journalist on all things Microsoft and has been unbiased in her
>>> assessments but, generally, willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the
>>> doubt.
>>>
>>> If you have 30 minutes, it will be most revealing regarding dismal
>>> outlook for them and what seems to be a leaderless hodge-podge of odd
>>> decisions coming from them as of late.
>>>
>>> I'd say, if you own Microsoft stock, now is the time to sell!
>>>
>> I agree. After Windows 8 is released, the stock will be about where
>> American Airlines is now...
>>

> You might be right: "...Microsoft tablet freezes up during Windows 8
> stage demo"
> (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2118239/Sign-things-come-Microsoft-tablet-freezes-Windows-8-demo.html)
>
> -rebro
  did any one read the ZDnet article yesterday where MS is banning
employees for using MacBook and iPads in the course of their work. They
will not pay for them. They can't dictate though that if they buy out of
their own pocket they can't use them.

I though the article was funny. Sound like MS is afraid of a mass exodus.

That normal for any tech company. The one thing they have to buy the
competitors product is if they do R&D for products they intend to sell
to competitors audience  (such as OfficeMac in case of MS. They can't do
so on a windows machine and expect to do a decent job if at all.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ron Hunter
On 3/22/2012 9:55 AM, PhillipJones wrote:

> rebro wrote:

>>> I agree. After Windows 8 is released, the stock will be about where
>>> American Airlines is now...
>>>

>> You might be right: "...Microsoft tablet freezes up during Windows 8
>> stage demo"
>> (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2118239/Sign-things-come-Microsoft-tablet-freezes-Windows-8-demo.html)
>>

>> -rebro
> did any one read the ZDnet article yesterday where MS is banning
> employees for using MacBook and iPads in the course of their work. They
> will not pay for them. They can't dictate though that if they buy out of
> their own pocket they can't use them.
>
> I though the article was funny. Sound like MS is afraid of a mass exodus.
>
> That normal for any tech company. The one thing they have to buy the
> competitors product is if they do R&D for products they intend to sell
> to competitors audience (such as OfficeMac in case of MS. They can't do
> so on a windows machine and expect to do a decent job if at all.

My understanding of that article was that the company would no longer
buy NON-MS machines for their workers.  I am sure that the R&D guys will
still be able to obtain competitor's machines.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

PhillipJones
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 3/22/2012 9:55 AM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> rebro wrote:

>>> You might be right: "...Microsoft tablet freezes up during Windows 8
>>> stage demo"
>>> (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2118239/Sign-things-come-Microsoft-tablet-freezes-Windows-8-demo.html)
>>>

>>> -rebro
>> did any one read the ZDnet article yesterday where MS is banning
>> employees for using MacBook and iPads in the course of their work. They
>> will not pay for them. They can't dictate though that if they buy out of
>> their own pocket they can't use them.
>>
>> I though the article was funny. Sound like MS is afraid of a mass exodus.
>>
>> That normal for any tech company. The one thing they have to buy the
>> competitors product is if they do R&D for products they intend to sell
>> to competitors audience (such as OfficeMac in case of MS. They can't do
>> so on a windows machine and expect to do a decent job if at all.
>>
> My understanding of that article was that the company would no longer
> buy NON-MS machines for their workers. I am sure that the R&D guys will
> still be able to obtain competitor's machines.
> Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I didn't get that take from the article. But I would agree. They would
still have to, for RD  for example there is talk of version of office
for the iPad.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

F1Com
On 3/21/2012 7:45 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 3/13/2012 9:42 AM:
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>>
> REF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/21/microbite_episode_34/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> After some rowdy Apple-style rah-rah fanboidom, it has quickly become
> apparent that the focus on tablets makes Microsoft’s Windows 8 difficult
> and frustrating to use for those running a Windows 7 or even a Window XP
> machine.
> " /]
>
> One of the best and most honest discussions regarding Microsoft's
> directions that I've yet heard. Mary Jo Foley (of ZDNet) is a long time
> journalist on all things Microsoft and has been unbiased in her
> assessments but, generally, willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the
> doubt.
>
> If you have 30 minutes, it will be most revealing regarding dismal
> outlook for them and what seems to be a leaderless hodge-podge of odd
> decisions coming from them as of late.
>
> I'd say, if you own Microsoft stock, now is the time to sell!

I use a Remote Desktop client on my wife's HP Touchpad and I can run XP
or Win7 easily using on the touchscreen.  I suppose if I installed Win8
on this workstation it might be easier.  But I don't see any reason to.

Terry

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

F1Com
On 3/22/2012 8:38 AM On a whim, PhillipJones pounded out on the keyboard

> I didn't get that take from the article. But I would agree. They would
> still have to, for RD  for example there is talk of version of office
> for the iPad.

All MS has to do is pull the plug on Office for Mac and Windows support.
  Poof!  No more Apple's in the office environment.

I'm personally surprised MS continues to support Apple with Office and
Windows, and yet Apple won't allow any of their software to run on a
non-Apple machine.

Terry

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ron Hunter
On 3/22/2012 2:25 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 3/22/2012 8:38 AM On a whim, PhillipJones pounded out on the keyboard
>

>> I didn't get that take from the article. But I would agree. They would
>> still have to, for RD for example there is talk of version of office
>> for the iPad.
>>

> All MS has to do is pull the plug on Office for Mac and Windows support.
> Poof! No more Apple's in the office environment.
>
> I'm personally surprised MS continues to support Apple with Office and
> Windows, and yet Apple won't allow any of their software to run on a
> non-Apple machine.
>

> Terry
In some offices, yes, but places like advertising, and publishing, Macs
are very pervasive.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 3/22/2012 12:25 PM:

> On 3/22/2012 8:38 AM On a whim, PhillipJones pounded out on the keyboard
>

>> I didn't get that take from the article. But I would agree. They would
>> still have to, for RD  for example there is talk of version of office
>> for the iPad.
>>

> All MS has to do is pull the plug on Office for Mac and Windows support.
>  Poof!  No more Apple's in the office environment.
>
> I'm personally surprised MS continues to support Apple with Office and
> Windows, and yet Apple won't allow any of their software to run on a
> non-Apple machine.

This is one of the inexplicable things brought up in that discussion.
Microsoft is way behind the curve with tablets and desperately needs to
differentiate itself with Metro if it's going to have any hope of
gaining traction yet they recently announced that -- READY? -- They'll
be offering Office 15 for the iPad.

It's almost as though they've been infiltrated by Apple covert
operatives in leadership roles to do everything they can to kill their
future.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

»Q«
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:25:00 -0700
[hidden email] wrote:

> I'm personally surprised MS continues to support Apple with Office
> and Windows, and yet Apple won't allow any of their software to run
> on a non-Apple machine.

That last part is incorrect;  Apple produces some software for Windows,
just as Microsoft produces some for Apple products.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ron Hunter
On 3/22/2012 4:39 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 3/22/2012 12:25 PM:
>> On 3/22/2012 8:38 AM On a whim, PhillipJones pounded out on the keyboard
>>

>>> I didn't get that take from the article. But I would agree. They would
>>> still have to, for RD for example there is talk of version of office
>>> for the iPad.
>>>

>> All MS has to do is pull the plug on Office for Mac and Windows
>> support. Poof! No more Apple's in the office environment.
>>
>> I'm personally surprised MS continues to support Apple with Office and
>> Windows, and yet Apple won't allow any of their software to run on a
>> non-Apple machine.
>>
> This is one of the inexplicable things brought up in that discussion.
> Microsoft is way behind the curve with tablets and desperately needs to
> differentiate itself with Metro if it's going to have any hope of
> gaining traction yet they recently announced that -- READY? -- They'll
> be offering Office 15 for the iPad.
>
> It's almost as though they've been infiltrated by Apple covert
> operatives in leadership roles to do everything they can to kill their
> future.

Since I absolutely refused to even consider a Windows Phone 7 because of
the tiled interface, I am not impressed with it on a tablet, and
completely horrified about it on a desktop.  Worse, is the complete
elimination of multiple resizable windows.  HOW can they call this
product "Windows" when there aren't any real windows?

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

PhillipJones
[hidden email] wrote:

> On 3/22/2012 8:38 AM On a whim, PhillipJones pounded out on the keyboard
>

>> I didn't get that take from the article. But I would agree. They would
>> still have to, for RD for example there is talk of version of office
>> for the iPad.
>>

> All MS has to do is pull the plug on Office for Mac and Windows support.
> Poof! No more Apple's in the office environment.
>
> I'm personally surprised MS continues to support Apple with Office and
> Windows, and yet Apple won't allow any of their software to run on a
> non-Apple machine.
>

> Terry
MS does quite a large business with the Mac Community. At one time MS
was on the fence about Mac Support. Apple is not the issue with MS.
Google is the 1600 pound gorilla. MS sights on Damaging Google as much
as possible.  And despite  the lack of major support to Apple from MS
except on certain Software. Apple is worth more bucks wall street than
MS is. I don't know for a fact but apple might have enough cash on hand
to buy MS if they wanted.

There is talk of Apple Purchasing Corel  which own WordPerfect and
WordPerfect Suite.
When Wp was owned by Word Perfect I had Word and Excel, and WordPerfect.
I actually preferred Word Perfect They actually had a better enevelope
system than Word has even to this day. Had a separate Database to retain
addresses and formatting for envelope.

If they did and got hold of WordPerfect then they would have leverage
for MS to keep support.  Things are not  exactly Black and white. MS is
even developing a version of Office for the iPad.

In this day and age a Mac Users money is every bit as good as a PC
Users, it spends the same. it lines the BOD's pockets just as well as a
PCer's

These silly stupid Platform wars went went it over. That 80's man.

The object today should be sell product to whomever wants it.

Apple and Ms would be well served to create versions of their software
for UNIx and Linux as well. Wouldn't be a stretch of Apple since they
already use UNIX underneath the finder. Would be a Stretch for MS since
they don't have any idea about UNIX/Linux Dos was based CPM.  and
despite the fancy Windows UI its still DOS down deep in its bowls.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

F1Com
On 3/22/2012 2:39 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 3/22/2012 12:25 PM:
>> On 3/22/2012 8:38 AM On a whim, PhillipJones pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> I didn't get that take from the article. But I would agree. They would
>>> still have to, for RD  for example there is talk of version of office
>>> for the iPad.
>>>
>> All MS has to do is pull the plug on Office for Mac and Windows support.
>>   Poof!  No more Apple's in the office environment.
>>
>> I'm personally surprised MS continues to support Apple with Office and
>> Windows, and yet Apple won't allow any of their software to run on a
>> non-Apple machine.
>>
> This is one of the inexplicable things brought up in that discussion.
> Microsoft is way behind the curve with tablets and desperately needs to
> differentiate itself with Metro if it's going to have any hope of
> gaining traction yet they recently announced that -- READY? -- They'll
> be offering Office 15 for the iPad.
>
> It's almost as though they've been infiltrated by Apple covert
> operatives in leadership roles to do everything they can to kill their
> future.

Couldn't agree more.

Terry

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

F1Com
On 3/22/2012 6:07 PM On a whim, PhillipJones pounded out on the keyboard

> There is talk of Apple Purchasing Corel  which own WordPerfect and
> WordPerfect Suite.
> When Wp was owned by Word Perfect I had Word and Excel, and WordPerfect.
> I actually preferred Word Perfect They actually had a better enevelope
> system than Word has even to this day. Had a separate Database to retain
> addresses and formatting for envelope.

To this day I still use WordPerfect.  To a WP user, Word has never made
any sense.

> If they did and got hold of WordPerfect then they would have leverage
> for MS to keep support.  Things are not  exactly Black and white. MS is
> even developing a version of Office for the iPad.

With the hold MSO has in the office environment, I doubt it would make
much difference.  Being better (WP) doesn't guarantee sales.

> In this day and age a Mac Users money is every bit as good as a PC
> Users, it spends the same. it lines the BOD's pockets just as well as a
> PCer's
>
> These silly stupid Platform wars went went it over. That 80's man.

That's why Apple should offer OSX to PC users rather than being so
closed, which is exactly the opposite of what they stood for originally.

Terry

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

The Real Bev
On 03/23/2012 04:50 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 3/22/2012 6:07 PM On a whim, PhillipJones pounded out on the keyboard
>
>>  There is talk of Apple Purchasing Corel  which own WordPerfect and
>>  WordPerfect Suite.
>>  When Wp was owned by Word Perfect I had Word and Excel, and WordPerfect.
>>  I actually preferred Word Perfect They actually had a better enevelope
>>  system than Word has even to this day. Had a separate Database to retain
>>  addresses and formatting for envelope.
>
> To this day I still use WordPerfect.  To a WP user, Word has never made
> any sense.

So did I until they disappeared the linux version and something bad
happened to the one I was using.  Open Office (Libre Office) is good.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
3/21/2012 7:45 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 3/13/2012 9:42 AM:
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>>
> REF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/21/microbite_episode_34/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> After some rowdy Apple-style rah-rah fanboidom, it has quickly become
> apparent that the focus on tablets makes Microsoft’s Windows 8 difficult
> and frustrating to use for those running a Windows 7 or even a Window XP
> machine.
> " /]
>
> One of the best and most honest discussions regarding Microsoft's
> directions that I've yet heard. Mary Jo Foley (of ZDNet) is a long time
> journalist on all things Microsoft and has been unbiased in her
> assessments but, generally, willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the
> doubt.
>
> If you have 30 minutes, it will be most revealing regarding dismal
> outlook for them and what seems to be a leaderless hodge-podge of odd
> decisions coming from them as of late.
>
> I'd say, if you own Microsoft stock, now is the time to sell!

REF:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Touchscreen-Intel-Ultrabook-tablet-windows-8,15241.html

[excerpt quote="
Loi found that people spent 77 percent of the time using the touchcreen
for tasks such as surfing the Web, watching online video, viewing and
editing photos and adjusting the laptop's setting.
" /]

I don't disagree with this at all; although, I believe that their video
demonstration is crafted in a very self-serving and misleading way.
Specifically, every image appears to be a hyperlink, as well as most
test. In the real world, most images will simply be eye-candy as with
most text. Sooo, most people will be pushing images expecting them to
bring up more content and only end up smudging their display with oily
finger deposits. Sure, eventually content will become more
"touch-aware"; especially for casual browsing content, but the most
productive work will still require a keyboard AND a mouse.

On 04/09/2012 09:58 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Touchscreen-Intel-Ultrabook-tablet-windows-8,15241.html
>
> [excerpt quote="
> Loi found that people spent 77 percent of the time using the touchcreen
> for tasks such as surfing the Web, watching online video, viewing and
> editing photos and adjusting the laptop's setting.
> " /]
>
> I don't disagree with this at all; although, I believe that their video
> demonstration is crafted in a very self-serving and misleading way.
> Specifically, every image appears to be a hyperlink, as well as most
> test. In the real world, most images will simply be eye-candy as with
> most text. Sooo, most people will be pushing images expecting them to
> bring up more content and only end up smudging their display with oily
> finger deposits. Sure, eventually content will become more
> "touch-aware"; especially for casual browsing content, but the most
> productive work will still require a keyboard AND a mouse.

The virtual keyboards would have to have "keys" an inch square before
I'd be comfy with one.  I suppose if I did more traveling I'd see more
value in the Viewsonic 10" tablet I have and never use, but right now it
just sits on a shelf in its sleeve.  A netbook-sized thing might be
nice, but I can't justify the expense and I really hate touchpads --
having to carry a mouse around kind of detracts from the experience.

BTW, NEVER buy screen protectors locally.  DealExtreme has a nice
selection, especially for iProducts, for under $5.  In addition to the
ones for the tablets, I cut one up for the screens on my camera and phone.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ron Hunter
On 4/9/2012 7:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 04/09/2012 09:58 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> REF:
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Touchscreen-Intel-Ultrabook-tablet-windows-8,15241.html
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> Loi found that people spent 77 percent of the time using the touchcreen
>> for tasks such as surfing the Web, watching online video, viewing and
>> editing photos and adjusting the laptop's setting.
>> " /]
>>
>> I don't disagree with this at all; although, I believe that their video
>> demonstration is crafted in a very self-serving and misleading way.
>> Specifically, every image appears to be a hyperlink, as well as most
>> test. In the real world, most images will simply be eye-candy as with
>> most text. Sooo, most people will be pushing images expecting them to
>> bring up more content and only end up smudging their display with oily
>> finger deposits. Sure, eventually content will become more
>> "touch-aware"; especially for casual browsing content, but the most
>> productive work will still require a keyboard AND a mouse.
>
> The virtual keyboards would have to have "keys" an inch square before
> I'd be comfy with one. I suppose if I did more traveling I'd see more
> value in the Viewsonic 10" tablet I have and never use, but right now it
> just sits on a shelf in its sleeve. A netbook-sized thing might be nice,
> but I can't justify the expense and I really hate touchpads -- having to
> carry a mouse around kind of detracts from the experience.
>
> BTW, NEVER buy screen protectors locally. DealExtreme has a nice
> selection, especially for iProducts, for under $5. In addition to the
> ones for the tablets, I cut one up for the screens on my camera and phone.

I won't use screen protectors.  I had a HTC phone with no screen
protector for 2 years with nary a scratch, or chip.  No screen protector
on my iPhone 4S as I can't stand the way they look, peel off, and are
less clear than the glass, and much softer as well.  Worse, in any kind
of sunlight, they make the screen unreadable.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

The Real Bev
On 04/09/2012 05:51 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 4/9/2012 7:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>  BTW, NEVER buy screen protectors locally. DealExtreme has a nice
>>  selection, especially for iProducts, for under $5. In addition to the
>>  ones for the tablets, I cut one up for the screens on my camera and phone.
>>
> I won't use screen protectors.  I had a HTC phone with no screen
> protector for 2 years with nary a scratch, or chip.  No screen protector
> on my iPhone 4S as I can't stand the way they look, peel off, and are
> less clear than the glass, and much softer as well.  Worse, in any kind
> of sunlight, they make the screen unreadable.

I mean the matte ones.  Some screens are shiny, which I absolutely hate,
and those are the ones that need the 'protectors'.  Anti-reflection
rather than protection.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ron Hunter
On 4/9/2012 9:12 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 04/09/2012 05:51 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> On 4/9/2012 7:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, NEVER buy screen protectors locally. DealExtreme has a nice
>>> selection, especially for iProducts, for under $5. In addition to the
>>> ones for the tablets, I cut one up for the screens on my camera and
>>> phone.
>>>
>> I won't use screen protectors. I had a HTC phone with no screen
>> protector for 2 years with nary a scratch, or chip. No screen protector
>> on my iPhone 4S as I can't stand the way they look, peel off, and are
>> less clear than the glass, and much softer as well. Worse, in any kind
>> of sunlight, they make the screen unreadable.
>
> I mean the matte ones. Some screens are shiny, which I absolutely hate,
> and those are the ones that need the 'protectors'. Anti-reflection
> rather than protection.

The iPhone 4S screen is smooth, and somewhat reflective, but polarized,
and works fairly well in direct sun (better than my camera screen), but
it is sometimes hard to see the image when taking pictures in bright
sun.  A screen protector just can't help making that situation worse by
reducing the light further, and often making the situation much worse,
if it is one of those reflective ones.  And I can't stand the bubbles!
I have a case that has a pretty good ridge around the display, so that
protects it nicely.  No issues with it so far (Dec 2).  I suspect some
women who just dump the phone in their purse, might have need of a
screen protector.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 3/13/2012 9:42 AM:
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539

REF:
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2012/04/windows-8-on-the-desktopan-awkward-hybrid.ars

Ars gives what appears to be a detailed honest-broker evaluation of Win8
desktop. They even find several things they like. However, in the end,
try as they might to be positive, they conclude:

[excerpt quote="
They just don't fit together well. For tablet users, the whole is
probably greater than the sum of the parts, and the individual decisions
add up to a slick touch environment. But they're problematic for
dedicated desktop users, and mixed Metro/desktop usage looks like a real
mess.

The only way to make the experience work smoothly is to ignore the Metro
parts (aside from the Start screen). And if you're going to do that,
what's the point of giving desktop users Metro apps at all?
" /]

The reader comments are much less sanguine.